Need some good extended TVPs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex5

Hi all

I have been off here for a couple of months as I have had a bit of a saga with my IRC extended chassis kit. In short, everything appeared to fit fine until you tightened the screws down, at which point it became unusably misaligned. Engine plate twisted due to cross-member without square ends, TVPs are not actually indentical outline side to side, which throws different stuff out depending on which part you wanted to take as being 'straight'.
Sent it back but miraculously the problems only exist for me. Don't get me wrong, nothing was so horrible that it looked off at first glance, or when loosely assembled. But the slight tolerance issues throw everything askew when you clamp it all down. Got a new engine plate which deforms a little less when clamped down :banghead: and two new cross members for the skid plate, although the reason the skid didn't fit is because the holes on the TVP are too far inboard :banghead:
I can't frankly be bothered to attempt to return the kit again as the guy is so bad to deal with. Slow, and managed to lose the A4 sheet outlining clearly all my issues that had been taped to the returned chassis "what sheet?" Not the first part of his I've had to return either.

So I need a good extended chassis. I would like one the same length and low CG as the IRC extended chassis (as I even have a custom cage from Drummerguy to fit that length chassis, plus the extended centre front/rear dogbones etc and the XL bodyshell). Needs to be strong for heavy bashing (clumsy driving!!!)

Where can I go? FLM? See people have troubles with them too?

Cheers, Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
I make Carbon Fiber TVP's check my site out. www.platinumrcproducts.com

I had some fit and finish issues befor but have now revised them and should fit well. I will be cutting new parts this weekend as if you are interested let me know. Check my site for prices all of the questions you can PM me or email there. I make lots of different parts to incorporate mid-tanks and everything else. Check it out and look it over. Good luck

new era models makes the extended tvp's and the other ones to!! i've never used them but have dealt with new era several times and would reccomend!! just a thought!!http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=1633 and look at the bottom of the page and they sell the extended drivetrain parts you mentioned to i think!! hope it helps!!

Fastlane Machine... all the way.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I really like the idea of the CF chassis but since I'm having to eat the loss on the IRC products, the FLMs have it on price. New Era want more for shipping than the plates cost unfortunately.

Can anyone with the FLMs please tell me how well the bulkheads and skid plates line up with the flats on the TVPs in those areas? The IRCs were kind of gappy there which annoyed me.

i run the flm lcg ext's & you cant go wrong. absolutely no probs with the alignment, just had to change the motor-mount screws to button heads & did not have to mod chassis or anything. i/m/o - i find the flms are sweet & meaty.

The FLM's are very sweet but they come with weight, but they are strong and will def take a beating.

Stocks X= 76Gram (Ea.)
PRC Extended LCG=80Gram (Ea.)
FLM Extended LCG=129Gram (Ea.)
I have no weights of any others.

My Carbon Fiber ones come with a hefty price but the materials are what brings that up big time. I definitely don't make anything on cutting, programing, design. They are very stiff and will hold up to the best bashing, I have tried, LOL. Anyhow all the company's listed have been good and are very durable.

tvps

That sucks alex .i also run the flm ext lcg have had 0 issues great tvps :resp:

With these TVP being thicker that the standard ones. Is there any issue using the stock screws. Are they long enough to hold everything together or do you need to replace them with longer screws?

The stock screws will work just fine. They are only like 2mm longer and the only increments in screw lengths are by 5mm. Some will replace them. I personally have change some on my chassis but not all. I do recommend changing all screws to Machine screws though.

Thanks for the further advice guys.

Trying to get back on this now - could someone with the FLM extended TVPs please measure the length of them between the bulkhead mounting holes for me?
I'm trying to work out how they compare against the duff ones I have :)

flm tvps

hey bud its looking like 370 mm and you are at 363 so about 7 mm diff :( not looking good. hopefully someone has a set of the same tvps ill be looking for ya as well :resp:

With the longer chassis (I'm thinking FLM EXT TVP's) can you still do backflips? Is there enought torque spin the heavier/longer savage all the way around?

Just ordered some FLM EXT TVPs from ebay. Looking forward to fitting them!

Another question. Can I still use the standard Savage X shell or do I need something longer like the Savage XL shell? And will I still be able to fit the optional roll cage that covers the engine head?

You can make new holes and use it. You will want to fit a longer one most likely.. and sadly no more stock cage. Keep the body on or add a wing. My wing keeps the truck off the head.

I've fitted my new EXT TVPs from Fastlane and they are great. Fit perfectly and very well made. The only problem is that the standard fuel tank doesnt sit as well as it did because the thicker tvp are pushing against the tank and forcing it to twist upwards. I'm not planning on doing any mid tank mod and want to keep the tank in that standard positsion.

Is there any way to reposition the tank or ar there any fuel tank mounts that will hold the tank slightly further away from the tvp?

remove some plastic from the factory tank mounts to get the clearance you are looking for, for now till you can find something better

My.02 worth spend the money and buy the carbon fiber you won't be disappointed! I've heard nothing but great things on those products!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back