Need new shocks, Which ones to get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syz

Hi all,

So one of my shocks broke. It actually snapped at the plastic part near the top.
I figured that its better to replace all shocks as one other one has already been bent.

SO, Which shocks should I go with. I was using the stock ones until they broke. I figured I should get something stronger since I am replacing them. I do not race the Savage, just normal street and off-roading stuff.
Also, If I replace the shocks, would it make sense to get the shock towers with many hole for different setup or should I just stick to the default setup.

THanx

I realized that I forgot to mention my price range.

I guess that $50 is the area I would like to work. I don't want to spend $100 as I would not see the value of that since I don't race or run the truck everyday.

I just want something that is decent but a better (stronger) than stock.

i would say for the price the stock shocks are very strong, and unless you race, towers with multiple positions would be more for show IMO

If you know someone you can split a set of MSR-8's by Integy, you'll be spending about $55 a piece.
The site here has a group rate that gets the price down to $110.

You'll then be able to split the set with a bud and mount four shocks.
This is the cool setup for these shocks.
Alot of guys are using this setup.

Thats what I reccommend.
======== BY THE WAY, WELCOME TO THE SITE =========

Last edited by a moderator:
If you know someone you can split a set of MSR-8's by Integy, you'll be spending about $55 a piece.
The site here has a group rate that gets the price down to $110.

You'll then be able to split the set with a bud and mount four shocks.
This is the cool setup for these shocks.
Alot of guys are using this setup.

Thats what I reccommend.
======== BY THE WAY, WELCOME TO THE SITE =========

HMMM, how come 4 and not 8 when the truck currently has 8.

HMMM, how come 4 and not 8 when the truck currently has 8.
Well, I can tell you that I owned a full set a found that putting all 8 on posed issues with the shocks rubbing on the turnbuckles and a-arms.
Fortunately, The shocks a real beefy and have stiff springs that can support the the truck just fine.
So I split the set with a friend and mounted the shocks in the the front, behind the upper a-arms.
And for the rear, I mounted the shocks ahead of the a-arms.
They come in purple or silver.
I'll post some pics here so you can see them.

============== HERE YA GO. HOPE THIS HELPS ==================

My_Rides_pics_1001.jpg
My_Rides_pics_004.jpg

Might I recommend CEN Piggyback shocks. They are very strong and relatively inexpensive. My dad got 8 of them off eBay for 40. They are on all the time brand new. You will lose some ride height but it helps with stability. As for me I use the HPI aluminum shocks, black spring and 40 weight. Works great I can slam it to the floor or jack it up for bashing.

I'm running the same setup that Fx described. I've got the Integy MSR8's and I'm only using 4. I filled them with 40 wt. oil and used the three hole piston. They are real stiff and with a bit of preload, I can drop the truck from about 5-6 ft. and it won't bottom out. The downside is it doesn't give any on the sharp fast turns, it doesn't roll at all. So, I just picked up some lighter shock oil and gonna fill the other 4 with that and try that set-up. Anyways, enough bout my truck, to answer your question, asides from ebay, I haven't seen a set of shocks for the savage under 60 bucks. I've still got my stock shocks and nothing is wrong with them if interested.

Yeah finding a set of shocks under 60.00 is going to be hard. you know though I did buy a set of Hot bodies aluminum shocks there just like the stock except there aluminum. they wernt to bad man I still have them in good shape all 8 like new. took them off for the losi shocks ill try and get you some pics these were like 70 dallars for the set of 8 the caps screw on really good so no leaking out of them and they will handle thicker oil better than the stock plastic ones.

Cre, yeah those are the cheapest ones that I've seen also. I was planning on getting a set of those because of the low price but didn't. My buddy bought a set from the LHS brand new and always had problems with them. One of the shocks, from a hard landing, would pop the retaining clip out of the bottom of the shock body. But, lucky enough, he was able to find the clip and didn't lose it. Just some more of my input.

Tower Hobbies have Hot Bodiez Threaded Aluminum Shocks For $59.99. I'm probably gonna order a set soon

xtremsavage
Rollin' the 40 series.... Join Date: Apr 2007
Bank: 1,839.60
Total Points: 1,916.80
Donate

quote:
I'm running the same setup that Fx described. I've got the Integy MSR8's and I'm only using 4.

Doobeewha:Hey xtrem.
Do you mean that your running the same set a on my truck?

Tower Hobbies have Hot Bodiez Threaded Aluminum Shocks For $59.99. I'm probably gonna order a set soon
That's a pretty good deal for those compared to what a LHS charges.

I think the LHS in my area was asking 79.95 + tax

Yea... heard that.
One thing I hate is little parts that spring or pop off into orbit.

It makes a smple fix into a big hassle finding or replacing a part that might be a $ rape at the LHS.

exactly doob. that's why I never bought them. Instead, went with the msr8s. And, the other day, I went over to my buddy house to help him work on his roommates savage. The one he had then sold so he could buy the cen gst 7.7. Well, he broke one of the front castor blocks so I gave him my spare along with my old hd dogbones. I noticed that the HD dogbones are about 2mm bigger in diameter than the shafts on the msr8s. which is good.

Dang... I bet that 7.7 cen is a blast..
Hey,... I was thinking about your shocks with the recoil issue..
You can try keeping the 40 wt. or even higher wt. and drill the nylon piston out with 2-3 more holes the same size as the original holes.
If you do this, make sure that the holes are evenly spaced and debured of any flashing.
You can even sand them down to be flatter.
Use a set of calipiers or micrometer to keep all of the pistons the same thicknesses.
This will provide a faster recoil with a thicker oil and also help in reducing bent shafts from hard landings

Having a thicker oil also helps in slowing oil sepage

---Beware of a too much recoil-----

What do you mean by recoil doob? I'm a little on the confused side with that one. Please explain. But, I've already filled the other 4 shocks with lighter oil and I'm gonna try them out after I get the truck put back together again. When the new cen diff case I ordered ever shows up.

Hey xtrrem.
"Recoil" is the time it takes the shock spring to return to normal position after it;s been compressed.

Like when you say you drop the truck on the floor and it doesn't spring back fast enough.
That's the recoil time.

There might be a nother name for it, but that's the word that comes to mind for me.

Currently I've been running 6 MSR8s. One on each front corner and two on the rear corners. I run 20wt oil and found that this setup give you flexibility in the corners as well as strength for bigger jumps.

Latest posts

Members online

Back