Need help from someone with experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winger12003

I currently own a HPI Wheely King and Traxxas E-Maxx. I attended my first R/C event a few days ago, it was an all Monster Truck Halloween bash. Only Monster trucks were racing, jumping, freestyle. ect. I am very much interested in purchasing my 1st nitro monster truck. I think I have it narrowed down to 3 choices, but hearing from someone who has had experience with nitro monster trucks would be great. I am looking for a durable , powerful, basher that may race 2 times a year, but for primarly backyard bashing at the local sand pit, jumping, ect. I am currently looking at the Savage 4.6 big block, Traxxas Revo 3.3 and the Lst2 or Aftershock. I am looking for the most bang for the buck, the best availability for aftermarket hop-ups, ie: tires, wheels, pipes, ect., the most durable, and best engine life Simple right, LOL. Seriously, any input from someone who has experience with nitro monster trucks would be greatly appreciated. I will tell you this, the main reason I don't really like the LST2 all that much is because of the limited tire/wheel combos although I do know it is supposed to be really durable. Thanks for any and all advice.

I would go with the savage they take alot of bashing,u can upgrade every part on the truck,they are easy to tune and keep running.i have a 25 and love it i am going to get a 4.6 soon and run both trucks.

I have one 1 race and 1 I bash. The Savage is a ghteat truck no matter what you decide to do with (or to) it. Tons of aftermarket parts like was mentioned above. Pluss great sites like HPISF to help you get the most out of your Savage purchase.

Savage all the way bud! tough as they come. Tons of parts available. Easier to modify and put bigger engines in. The Revo 3.3 is a good truck as far as handling goes. but not as easy to mod parts and bodies are not as readily available as the savage. and when you land wrong this happens
HPIM0078.jpg
not as experienced with the others you mentioned. But go savage you will not be disappointed at all.

Hey Winger, I have owned them all. I will say this, the LST2 right out of the box is the best racer. The savage right out of the box is the best basher. Now, I have my savage 4.6 killing the LST2 on the track, but it did take some upgrades. Now as far as durability, the savage hands down over any of them. You rarely break anything on it. Bashing the LST2, the bottom front bulkhead screws do snap quite a bit and I have broke alot of the front A-arms. For bang for the buck I would definitely say the new savage-X 4.6 rtr. don't think you will go wrong with that. I hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks for all the great replies, I really appreciate all the time you guys gave to give me some good advice. Looks like I am really leaning towards the Savage 4.6. Thanks again.

You honestly will not be sorry to own a savage. And besides you got all us great guys and lots of knowledge here for any help you will ever need. Not including me I was refering to all them other guys I know NODDA.

Hi,

I have to say savage too, I haven't owned any of the other trucks but I as in the same place you are a few months ago, I looked and looked for info and found way more people saying "get a savage" than any other MT, even on the Revo sites, the people on them that had both a Savage and a Revo were saying the savage was much better. I even read a couple post's were people said there would beat there revo as far as accerlation goes. and toghness hands down savage all the way. I have 2 already and love both of them.

Heres a good thread to read,
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3599

i agree get a savage they are like a tank on wheels...... but i advise against the 4.6 rtr (unless you like endless oneway bearing problems) go with the x ss kit (5 gallons so far on mine on original oneway)

I love my savage so much that I'm building another but I would seriously consider the LST2. Being a savage forum we are all biased toward the savage but the LST2 is also a tough truck. Not as tough as the savage but still tough. As for racing though I would say the LST2 is a better truck especially straight out of the box. The aftershock is too weak for bashing and will end up being a LST2 anyway. Also remember that any wheel and tire combo that will go on the savage will go on an LST2.

Also chuck a big brushless setup into that e-maxx rpm a arms, steel dog bones and maybe some beefier diffs and it would be quite a competent little car too.

Latest posts

Members online

Back