Need help before I take a hammer to this motor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageBasherxl

Engine is the k5.9

brand new 3 weeks ago.

This is my last attempt to mess with this engine. If you guys cant help me i'm getting the LRP .28

symptoms: engine starts fine, I can go from idle to quarter throttle for about 15 seconds then it stalls. If i go from idle to half throttle it stalls. idle to full throttle it stalls.

what I've tried: factory settings, Leaning only the high speed, leaning only the low speed. Leaning both. checked the mid needle, non wrapping the head, completely wrapping the head (its 30 degrees out), replaced fuel line in case it was clogged, replaced air filter.

factory settings it runs the same as when i turn the high speed in one full turn leaner.

Ive leaned it out enough to where it should blow it up, and still same symptoms.

It sounds like its running way rich the way it bogs down before it stalls.

even if i put it on a stand with no strain on the drivetrain it tacks and sounds good for about a half second then it stalls.

any ideas? If i cant get it running within a few days. its going in the trash.

I went to the lrp .28. Gave up on the 5.9! don't regret it at all! I was never able to get the 5.9 up to snuff! The lrp is really easy to tune and makes the truck!Good luck.

How much fuel have you put through it? I've heard that the 5.9 takes alot longer to break in.

Any way you could get a video of it up?

I did the heat cycle method on my 5.9 never touched any needle except the high speed and it ran flawless. IMO first thing I'd seal up the motor. That'll eliminate a pesky air leak. Then I'd reset the carb and start over. 5.9's a very touchy but if you get her right you'll enjoy it I promise.

running a HPI plug with traxxas 20%. idle is fine it just wont rev.

It has about a gallon of fuel through it. It ran fine with the first gallon then it just started doing this.

my truck will not even run with factory settings. and i've tried to lean the low speed.

Judicator. i'd be happy to sell you this engine. shoot me an offer.

already tried to replace the plug. and the traxxas fuel is the easiest thing I have access to. I think my hobby shop does have another type of fuel but ill have to look.

try a hotter plug the r5 it comes with is a cold one also ckeck the oring on the tank lid if it broken wont seal the tank and build pressure i got my new xl and changed to an os #8 did the breakin and ran total of 10 tanks tuned it and still runing the same plug

R5 plug suck I notice that a hotter plug work better for me. My tune issue were because the darn orings when installed cause leaks. I bought new orings and put associated green slime on the orings (needles on the carb) before screwing it back in and it helped. The 5.9 is all attractive with it saying big block but the Piccos and LRPs as others usgest will blow the 5.9 away.

Members online

Back