need Baja advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash

hi guys

I am working on a Baja 5b 23cc for a great freind of mine thats new to rc

I already installed a DDM tuned pipe part #4892

also, HPI part # 15448 high response clutch shoe set

I upgraded dog bones, rear diff`s.

MY QUESTION: The baja has tons of mid to high range power although has very little lowend out of the hole.
my goal is to maKE it wheelie off the line.

It is lifting the front tires but, not untill its mid way threw power band and its very little.

Thanks guys

I'm a real newbee with gassers

Getting a Baja to wheelie is not no easy task. Its length and the fact its struggeling for tyre grip don't help issues either.

Did you say you went for a DDM pipe? which one is it the side mount or a rear mount? (a link would be better as the part# you posted turns up no results).

If wheelies are your thing and you don't care for handeling then heavy rear shock springs, a high torque tuned rear mounted pipe and the 8000prm clutch set with red spring reverse mounted so it grabs hard. Maybe even lower gearing, RC4WD has a torque set out (16/58 combo) although i'm no fan of steel spur gears.

Also look into your Baja's weight distribution, it'll have a easier time getting the front end up if it weighs less, and some extra weight behind the rear tyres will help with straight line traction and again to help pop the front off the ground (thats why i'd recommend a rear mount pipe for what you want to do), even increasing the front ride height so its higher then the rear will throw the balance towards the rear.

Then find some nice strong grass and put on your rear dirtbuster tyres. Contrary to what people want to believe these gives the best grip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that means bajas are for old people...

You wont get a 23cc to wheelie, not even the 26cc. You need at least a 27.2 or a 30.5 to get some wheelies. The rear DOM is a good start. Its good low to mid range power

Thanks guys

It is a rear dominator

I due have the red spring, not in backwards though. I`ll try that.

Ran it some more today, after some tuning it ran much better.

too loud for my neighbor hood.

I just bid on a flux............ hope I get it.

I'm gonna stiffn up the suspension and switch the spring.

Would a performance head help this engine or waste money?

piston and jug kits are cheap. Bump it up..

hi guys

I am working on a Baja 5b 23cc for a great freind of mine thats new to rc

I already installed a DDM tuned pipe part #4892

also, HPI part # 15448 high response clutch shoe set

I upgraded dog bones, rear diff`s.

MY QUESTION: The baja has tons of mid to high range power although has very little lowend out of the hole.
my goal is to maKE it wheelie off the line.

It is lifting the front tires but, not untill its mid way threw power band and its very little.

Thanks guys

I'm a real newbee with gassers
yo crash....i personally diagree with everyone on this one. getting a baja to wheelie is a VERY SIMPLE TASK. dude....when i had mine...the one engine mod i did was a DDM Chromme Rear Dominator and THAT'S IT!! i was hell to get the front end down.....i changed no gears ar anything. i also have videos to show the darn thing! keep in mind also i had the Baja SS, too. i had a lot of upgrades on it for strength such as turtle racing tower braces, turtle rear shock shafts(a mod you HAVE to get....on the stock shock towers...the ends come off but with the big shock shafts all this is eliminated). check out my thread and you will see all the strength mods i had. another thing i would say is a must is the Yamahadude throttle linkage.....that plastic clip ain't gonna cut it as far as the throttle clip is concerned. make sure you look at the thread....and P.S. keep in mind that with popping wheelies with that thing...the rear of my pipe got scratched because when she came up...she flipped over because the power was more explosive......kind hard to control!!!

Can't say I'm a fan of TR products, all overpriced and front shock brace is more of an airbrake when running upright and an anchor when you roll, mate tore his stock front supports right off thanks to that. Wasn't aware he made shock shafts as well though.

You wont get a 23cc to wheelie, not even the 26cc. You need at least a 27.2 or a 30.5 to get some wheelies. The rear DOM is a good start. Its good low to mid range power

Funny we have stock CY23's around here that will pop the front wheels given enough traction, only thing they need to do it is a rear dom. What these baja's don't have are loads of worthless bling that weigh them down.

+1, mod it. its your fav part of this hobby ne way.

Not always, but there normally is another factor involved like a transition change in the ground or a sharp turn throwing the balance.

Long vehicles are naturally more stable then short vehicles so they won't pop wheelies easily like savages with high centre of gravity (that said we still see people trying to get their Savage to wheelie who can't).

I hate stock savages. but hate stock bajas worse... never played with a ss though just the rtr 5B and 5T

Thanks guys

It is a rear dominator

I due have the red spring, not in backwards though. I`ll try that.

Ran it some more today, after some tuning it ran much better.

too loud for my neighbor hood.

I just bid on a flux............ hope I get it.

I'm gonna stiffn up the suspension and switch the spring.

Would a performance head help this engine or waste money?

Get this while its going half price. Its not the fastest but it will bump you up from your 23cc for a good price.

34mm Big-Bore kit from Zenoah
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/sc.12/category.68422/.f

Good kit! Zenoahs are stock ported more aggressivly then CY's. 26cc is a nice balance between RPM & Torque and the fact its a Zen means the cylinder plating isn't going to bubble off within a couple of tanks either. Should get a stuffed 28mm crank & copper gasket (or the white HPI teflon one) to go with it though...

Good kit! Zenoahs are stock ported more aggressivly then CY's. 26cc is a nice balance between RPM & Torque and the fact its a Zen means the cylinder plating isn't going to bubble off within a couple of tanks either. Should get a stuffed 28mm crank & copper gasket (or the white HPI teflon one) to go with it though...

Thanks wolf, I'm new to the baja world. do you have part numbers for the parts you recommend go with the bb kit

Dan, here's a link to a vid from this past Sat. night. It's one of the guys that meets up there who just recently bought a 5T (already has a 5B). All that's done to it is a upgraded pipe and clutch. He also had to swap out the gearing for a higher ratio to get more control out of it. He said with stock gearing, it would wheely all day long. He's also runnin street tires with about 5-10% tread left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBrAjMqJ3gE

i have a Baja 5B, I just put on the DDM Dominator V1 rear pipe and put on a nice head kit from DDM, The kit is the cc255 jug and piston setup, mine will wheelie like crazy if you dump the throttle, Mine is also the 23cc motor with the engine mod

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back