Need advise about engine that hasn't run for 4+ years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koreenium

Hey!

I bought HPI Savage X 4.6 5+ years ago. I can't remember exact year btw.
I only used it for around 1-2 years and has been sitting ever since. Now I decided to get it working again and before starting it up I wanted to make sure there isn't any green slime or dirt in the engine. Which there are none but there are some small black/dark spots on the cylinder. Is this going to cause any problems?
I turned the flywheel and everything seems to move just fine and feels lubricated but there seems to be very slight grinding feel when the cylinder reaches the bottom. Is this because of the holes in the walls? exhaust and fuel injections ports?
Anywway what do you guys suggest me to do before I try to run it again?

Regards,
Koreenium

What sort of lubricant should I use for the engine internals?

Also can I use isopropanol alcohol for cleaning?

I use denatured alcohol for most of my engine cleaning duties as for lubricant to use just use a light oil for reassembly.. I use a blend of atf and lucas oil treatment for my stuff.....

Do your engine bearings feel gritty? Try cleaning them with denatured alcohol or even carburetor cleaner (for cars). Use WD-40 or after run oil to lube them and reassemble. If that doesn't fix the problem, you may want to get a new set of bearings.

This engine is major pain in the arse to disassemble. Had to buy one of those car battery terminal pullers and use a lot of force just to get the damn flywheel off. Now I can't get the piston sleeve out. And I can't even put the old flywheel back on so I could have better grip to force the sleeve out with a cable tie... Other than this I can see that the oil has somewhat dried up. And from what I can see the big bearing seems to be glogged with this thick dark brown crap.

Edit: I figured out how to get the old flywheel back on. I heated the piston sleeve with hair drier and tried again to get it out with the cable tie... and it just cut my cable ties into two... Great!

Edit 2: Had to use thick piece of paper to get the sleeve out.

Edit 3: Now I can't get the crankshaft out.

Edit 4: Hammer did the job.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back