Neds Octane Adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After emailing HPI, the excellent responses from Rick B at product support have convinced me my best option is make it into a bird bath. I was seeking a source for parts.

I have a new crankcase with crank and bearings, rod and head. The piston/sleeve is not available right now. Most say late November. Entire engines have been available for $200 and if I can find one for that price I will get one.

Last edited:
Amazon have them but they are an eye-watering $182.51 each! Dollar Hobbyz had one in stock yesterday but it has gone. I use Dollar as even with shipping to UK it is more than 50% cheaper than I can buy here.

The ones Dollar have only come with 1 snap ring for the piston rod. Also the piston is out of the sleeve so you have to compress the ring to get it back in. I have had some not so good results with that. The other stuff came from Dollar.

So how did it happen? I was driving mine this weekend, maybe tank number 12 or so... running good, starting to pull wheelies, then I stopped it a second, and it stalled. No start. Tried and tried.... found your post, and thought, no way. Yup. same here. Aluminum shavings... from what??? I haven't gotten that far. I am on vacation friday... can't let this piss me off.

The clip in the side of the piston that holds the pin in comes out. It then travels upward and breaks or damages the ring enough that it sticks and then you have no compression. It is spring steel so it rather quicly destroys the aluminum piston and cast iron ring.
The OS GT15HZ is having the same problems except OS is fixing them. Also a Hobbico product. OS has issued version 2 pistons and clips. It appears to use the same piston and clips as the octane now. It has the same bore and stroke and the clips, rings and pistons are available for it separatly. It is still having problems according to the helicopter forums.I would not assume the porting is the same but it appears to use the same piston/rod. Since this is an ongoing issue I have not done anything with mine for a while. The parts are rather expensive with no real expectation that the repair is even semi permanent. The engines that throw the clips seem to do so repeatedly while others work fine. The HPI GT15c parts are available again. I really wish I had got an XL 5.9 now.
OS GT15HZ
iu

and updated clips
s-l500.jpg

HPI GT15c
iu

Last edited:
The only thing I could think to try would be to stretch the clip a bit before installing it, then once it's installed, use a prick punch to create a divot/hump next to the clip in the piston in a few places to help keep it in place.

Sorry to hear you are having a pretty shitty time with your truck. I hope that there is an answer and look forward to seeing you getting it back in action.

I am hoping the temp gets high enough I can run it the third time today. I think swapping in a new motor was the best choice. It drives like a heavy pig though.

Latest posts

Members online

Back