Neds Octane Adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francis Labarbara

I purchased a used Octane and I cant get it to start. Doesnt hit at all. The CDI seems fine and I replaced the plug and have spark in my hand. The carb has been set to stock settings. I checked the timing sensor and it appears to be indexed correctly. I tried flooding it by putting gas down the throat and pulling it. If that worked I would have went into the carb. At some point it should have at least coughed a little. I did the LiPo battery mod for the CDI with no joy and went back to a 1600mah hump pack. Fuel is new 25:1 93 octane with Stihl HP Ultra synthetic.

If the truck was run at all it wasn't much because it still looks new/clean.

What else can I try? I have found very little on the net about a dead engine. I have pulled on this thing for 2 hours now with no fun.

The only thought I have is to get another CDI and try that.

@francis Labarbara welcome to HPISavageForum!

Here is a video you might find useful from HPI Racing about how to start Savage Octane and troubleshooting steps when the truck won't start.

If you're getting a spark then it sounds to me like you're not getting fuel or it's flooded. Hope this helps.

I too bought a used Octane and had the same problem as you when I tried to start for the first time. The guy I bought it from told me that he had at least 5 tanks done on the Octane.

It won't start no matter how much I pull(tried opening and closing the choke lever). That time I didn't have the right tools with me to check the spark plug and to see if there's a spark coming out of it. It started when I didn't stop pulling the starter.

It turns out, the battery that came with the used Octane was bad. A friend lent me his 1600mah battery and it started on the first pull.

HTH

Still no joy.
I have ordered a new CDI system. I mixed a new batch of gas with 87 octane gas. After 2 pulls with no choke I can smell gas. The battery for the CDI is a new 1600mah.

@francis Labarbara get a new spark plug. I had the same problem with my Octane when it was new. Make sure you have the right gap on the spark plug also. I also made sure the spark plug wire does not run across the CDI because it will arc between it and the wire.

Try 3mm. I use the same plug. I did get a bad plug with the truck. And I also brought four more. Also one of the four was bad. I would also try cleaning the plug with a sparkplug cleaner.

@francis Labarbara make sure all your connection are correct. I also had problem with the connector that comes off the magnet and connects to the cdi. They are very thin and break easily. So I put heat sink tubing around the connector and wires. Let use know how it goes

Guess what, the same thing happen to me again yesterday. It wont start after 5-10 pulls. I checked/cleaned the plug and its ok but still it wont start after several pulls. So, I took a deep breathe and pulled it until it started. In my opinion, cold start is the hardest to start.
The plug I'm using is not new, I had two tanks using that plug. I just clean it with a clothe and sand it.

HTH

Update:

I tried starting it today and it started on the first pull. I just charged my 1600mah hump battery and that's it.

IMO, you should at least run your octane once every other day.

HTH

I tried another plug gapped .3 and charged the batteries. About 100 pulls, nothing. I do not believe it has ever run. There is no discoloration on the pipe and the original plug looked new and was a NGK.

Could something be put together wrong?

IMG_6068.jpg

IMG_6067.jpg

Not sure how the sleeve got scored while the clutch bell and spur gear show no wear. The piston and head are pitted also.

It will run when I am done with it.

Oh... thats not really good mate... there are lots of metal in the engine ... why? From the pull and tighten the plug !.... How many tanks did you already?

Cheers

What you could not see in the pics was the piston ring was broken and stuck. One of the snap rings that hold the piston pin fell out and went up in the combustion chamber.

What you could not see in the pics was the piston ring was broken and stuck. One of the snap rings that hold the piston pin fell out and went up in the combustion chamber.

Wow, That's quite alot of carnage your engine has seen. Any idea on what caused it? I assume perhaps just poor quality control in original assembly. This is another reason why we always recommend inspecting engines before running them when new.

Also, if you don't mind doing so, I don't believe anyone has documented yet the disassembly/ repair of this engine. Take lots of photos if you like and create a new thread. I think this would be helpful to other Octane owners.

This was a used truck I bought as a scratch and dent from Tower Hobby. "Slightly used, works fine".

It came to me in this condition. I have yet to run it.

I am no guru. It is a simple engine and I simply followed the manual.

I have it 90% back together. I did the Venom 5000mah single battery mod, put on the Super Swampers, swapped the reciever and changed steering servo to a Savox 1231sg.

Wow, That's quite alot of carnage your engine has seen. Any idea on what caused it? I assume perhaps just poor quality control in original assembly. This is another reason why we always recommend inspecting engines before running them when new.

Also, if you don't mind doing so, I don't believe anyone has documented yet the disassembly/ repair of this engine. Take lots of photos if you like and create a new thread. I think this would be helpful to other Octane owners.

I am sorry. I already had the engine back together when you posted this. I have never done this before and had no problems changing it out. The worst part was putting the second inner snap ring into the piston through the hole in the back. I had to make a tool out of some large tweezers, 22 guage wire and heat shrink.

Oh, the piston only goes one way or the engine wont turn over. The side with the trimmed skirt goes to the front.

Not sure what I am going to do. Automotive lawn decorations are a tradition here.

I emailed HPI hoping to get some info on building an engine that would live.

"Is not our problem, man."

It didnt throw it. It seems to have just ground it up. Half of it was still in the hole. The ring is pinched but not broken. Same score marks. What's left of the snap ring is just below the sleeve.
IMG_6082.jpg

I can not see putting any more parts in this engine as it has had metal through it twice now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back