My wife just drove my savage into the lake.... Literally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savage25matt

Ok so I have been wrenching on the 25 and just got it running a week and a half ago. Ive been tuning after reading some of the posts and following the advice I have gotten the savage dialed in. She runs like stink.

A friend from work came over for dinner and we took the savage out for a bash in the grass... It was my wife's turn and she had the controller for maybe 30 seconds when I yelled "NOT IN THE LAKE!!!!"

And then it happened.

So now its drying on the deck and I'm hoping the electronics are okay (I never waterproofed anything) and I know I need to take it apart and clean and re-grease it.

Heres my questions

1) What oil / grease is recommended in the diffs? Brand?

2) Same question but for the 3-speed

3) Bearing grease? or oil?

4) I have never shimmed ANYTHING (diffs/trans) what parts / sizes should I buy for shims etc.

5) Any recomendations on mill inspection

If I have missed anything let me know. This truck is for mainly bashing, although I plan to race in Hampton on the 14th, I have another savage I'm going to dump a ton of parts at.

Thanks in advance-
Matt

as for the engine, if you are worried about it, take it apart and clean everything with WD40. if you arent worried about it (if it was a .25 i wouldnt be) just pull the plug out and flush it with WD40.

I'm sure the motor is fine

Just dry it all out good b4 you put power to it. If you got it fast and pulled the battery it may be fine

got the batteries out, the mill is coming off now... she is currently banned from the controls until i find a place AWAY from the water

I drove one into the pool once , I know how you feel .

no reason why not to... i have never had any problems at all with WD40. no adverse effects on the seals in my experiences

i see no reason why not to either... it displaces the water, and I'm not running it again until i soak the whole thing in nitro.

my buddie's ended up in a coi pond.

you'll be glad to know that all coi's and savy are alive and well to this day.

Just after you got it all back together, you are gonna have to pull it apart and wrench on it again... WOOP WOOP! always fun wrenching, and while you are at it you get to spend some monies.

Considering everything went in the lake... I think it is time for a picco 28 upgrade, ercm exhaust, ful PRC Chassis with some GH Bulks and RSC Conversion. I'm sure you could spend more, but i am just putting down the compulsory to do list :) Just blame it on the wife :)

Just after you got it all back together, you are gonna have to pull it apart and wrench on it again... WOOP WOOP! always fun wrenching, and while you are at it you get to spend some monies.

Considering everything went in the lake... I think it is time for a picco 28 upgrade, ercm exhaust, ful PRC Chassis with some GH Bulks and RSC Conversion. I'm sure you could spend more, but i am just putting down the compulsory to do list :) Just blame it on the wife :)

I was secretly thinkling the same thing... last night I went by the LHS, and they are lacking certain necessities for this transition.... so since i have 2 of these monsters, I was thinking I would take the lake seeker and make that one into the basher, and the ss .25 will get the full treatment... lrp, cf chassis, mid tank etc...

Josh ur a bad influence lol. But ur right....

I gave mine a cleaning with wd 40 one time and after it was put back together it didn't have any power until I gave it a nitro clean spray down to cut out the wd 40. just my experience

^ You must have used half the bottle. No harm in using WD-40.

As for letting other people driving your savage, I learned the hard way to. My cousin ran mine full speed into a mail box.

After a complete tear-down, cleaning and rebuild I got the savage fired up and took it out for a bash yesterday. I switched back to the HPI dirt bonz tires and rims from the stock SS.

I went by the LHS and picked up 45wt shock oil, 16t clutch bell and the red fibre brakes.

what I noticed though, was the ID of the red brakes is considerbly larger than the SS dual brakes. Anyone know the part # for the driveshaft cup that fits the red brakes?

Latest posts

Members online

Back