My Savage XL Experience.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageBasherxl

Let me start out by saying this was my first HPI Product, and more than likely my last.

It all started last week when I went to the hobby store looking for a new nitro monster truck, It was a toss up between the Savage XL or the Revo 3.3

Needless to say I bought the Savage XL.

I go to start the engine for break in procedure and the engine does not turn over. The one way bearing is slipping. Tried heating the engine, nothing. So I take out the glow plug. Still not turning over. Take off the back plate to access the OWB and I pulled the shaft out and lightly scuffed up the rod so the bearing could grab it. worked great, for a few starts.

Called HPI, He said nitro trucks usually don't start when the motors are fresh. But he will send me a new OWB anyway even tho he knows this wont fix anything. He said untill you have a gallon through it it will be a pain to start. So I proceed to tell him that I've owned many nitro vehicles, all of which were traxxas and I have never had a single engine problem like this. At this point hes telling me that this is 100% normal and I got lucky with every other nitro I've owned.

Anyway anytime I want to start it I have to remove the rod to sand it a bit to be able to start it. pain in the butt.

So next comes the half tank lean issue. okay, simple solution, drill out the nipple on the exhaust the same diameter as the fuel line for increased back pressure. worked great.

Next the rear of the truck stops driving. okay find out that the set screw near the brakes fell out, apon inspection I found 4 other bolts that had fallen out on the frame. Replaced them all with new bolts and crush washers.

So then the brakes stop working, okay look over everything, found out that I need to add a few shims to help the "squish" point for the pads, no problem.
Add shims, run it for about 10 minutes, again brakes stop working. bolts are tight shims look good. anyway the point is I don't want to adjust my brakes everytime I fill the tank. (i'm aware of the black twist knob to adjust the brakes)

Next the throttle servo is jumping teeth, causing it to stick wide open with my finger off the trigger, so the only way to throttle down is to hold full brake, which the brake itself no longer works at this point. Pain in the butt, take it apart, put it back to normal position, take it out for 5 more minutes, jumps teeth again.

This truck is only a week old. and is being run fairly easy. I cant believe the experience I'm having with this thing.
I like it when it runs right, but it seems like it has an issue every 10 minutes of drive time.

just wanted to vent. thanks for reading. feel free to comment.

Hey man sorry to hear all the bad luck with the savage. I have an xl,and in my experience with the 5.9 it is rough goin at the begining. If you are useing roto start owb can go bad. Just replace it. Hope things get better it is a cool truck.Good luck!

I am also very shocked to see that with so many people with the OWB problem and half tank lean problem that HPI has not found a fix for this.

yeah dude, unfortunately your right on the money; the savage is an expensive truck fraught with design flaws & will frustrate even the most experienced r/c owners. a scroll through this forum will reveal thousands of savage owners replacing virtually every component of their truck or modding parts to get them to work up to their satisfaction or even just to work at all... spending hundreds and thousands in the process

i have to agree that the traxxas vehicles would perform better than a savage straight out of the box which is better suited for the r/c owner who wants to plug and play.

for the r/c owner who wants to tinker, upgrade, wrench, test, try, modify, etc, then he/she will find that there are thousands of parts from countless different manufacturers and even parts from other vehicles will work for your mods.

reading your post, its obvious that you have more r/c experience than most and, given your experience, id say that you'd be a perfect candidate to own a savage if you had the desire to throw a lot more money at it and replace most parts on the truck that came stock.

after spending thousands to upgrade my nitro truck that i bought rtr, when it came time to build a flux, i just collected the upgrade parts off ebay & etc & skipped the big waste of money on the rtr.

in the end, we love the savage because once you make it past the frustration, it is one tough truck.

I don't mind spending money on upgrades and parts that break. Its all part of the hobby. The part that bothers me most is that when me, or anyone else spends $600 dollars on a brand new RTR truck and out of the box it has problems.

And to top it off, HPI says that its normal for a brand new truck not to start. I explaned to him no matter if its a nitro truck or a brand new 40,000 dollar truck WHEN ITS BRAND NEW IT SHOULD START!

I don't mind spending money on upgrades and parts that break. Its all part of the hobby. The part that bothers me most is that when me, or anyone else spends $600 dollars on a brand new RTR truck and out of the box it has problems.

And to top it off, HPI says that its normal for a brand new truck not to start. I explaned to him no matter if its a nitro truck or a brand new 40,000 dollar truck WHEN ITS BRAND NEW IT SHOULD START!

cant agree more.

dang thats a whole bucket of problems right out of the box.... frddy hit it best ... don't get discouraged youll love it once the flaws get worked out with it .. one tough truck to beat on when working right ...good luck .and welcome to the forum if i haven't welcomed you before ..

Thanks alot. I plan to make it the ultimate bashing machine.

Probably gonna go pick up a Revo 3.3 just for a backup basher.

I have a feeling I'm gonna have many more issues with this XL

yeah the throttle servo just completely stripped out when i tried to take it out today. plastic = junk.

man that sounds like a lemon .. id take it baxck and tell them to give you another one . start with a new fresh one ... shouldnt have that many issues right away thats just nuts ...id be super p od forget that ... most of us have ran other things as well as these .. and we all tend to come back to our savys .. they are brutal when they are working like they should .. but a head ache when its a constant repair job..don't give up.. good luck..

Last edited by a moderator:
well for the servo issue i am going to upgrade the steering servo to the HPI SF-32TT becuase it has 330 oz-in of torque, and then take my stock steering servo and use it as my throttle/brake servo. that way they will both have metal gears. hopefully that will be the last time i gotta mess with servos.

well I had a servo laying around from one of my traxxas trucks.

#2070 which has 125 oz-in compared to the HPI #SF-10 which has 62 oz-in.

also switched the setup a little bit.

Savagexlservo.jpg

ya thats one thing i never understood, my e revo that weighs like 9 pounds came stock with dual steering servos but the savage which is like 12 pounds comes with one lame servo thats one area i agree they should have improved by now.......

savage xl

hello sorry about the problems with your xl i just orderd one don't have it yet but i hope not to have problems with it I'm going to locktite eveything and bash it hard after proper breakin i have a savage 25 that i bash hard and the only thing that has boken is the font ring and pinion gear the servos i up graded and the half tank lean i fixed with a check valve on the pressure line from a mercury outboard ill post some pixs as soon as i learn how to my computer skills are not that good so good luck with your truck lou

I think all brands have there "lemons" but i still have had more fun with my savage then any other and the way HPI stands behind there products is top notch!!!!

Lock tight is your friend on savages' and both my servos went out in the first week of owning my xl. Along with two shock bodys splitting on a lame jump. Hpi no questions asked sent me all new supplies but I threw them in my tackle box and bought some hi tec servos and big bore alum shocks. Over all it's still a beast when she's running.

No problems with mine as of yet.(knocks on wood) I only have a X not a XL but nothing so far. I have had a few cold start problems but other than that nothing. Hope you had some luck soon with it.

ya thats one thing i never understood, my e revo that weighs like 9 pounds came stock with dual steering servos but the savage which is like 12 pounds comes with one lame servo thats one area i agree they should have improved by now.......

yeah it seems like they just throw any servo in there that will just function enough to keep the user happy.

hello sorry about the problems with your xl i just orderd one don't have it yet but i hope not to have problems with it I'm going to locktite eveything and bash it hard after proper breakin i have a savage 25 that i bash hard and the only thing that has boken is the font ring and pinion gear the servos i up graded and the half tank lean i fixed with a check valve on the pressure line from a mercury outboard ill post some pixs as soon as i learn how to my computer skills are not that good so good luck with your truck lou

when you get it. use a blow drier to heat the engine before you start it. locktite all of the screws on the aluminum frame.

I think all brands have there "lemons" but i still have had more fun with my savage then any other and the way HPI stands behind there products is top notch!!!!

Really? cause when I talked to a guy named Scott from HPI he acted like I was a little kid and tried telling me BS that I knew was false information.

Lock tight is your friend on savages' and both my servos went out in the first week of owning my xl. Along with two shock bodys splitting on a lame jump. Hpi no questions asked sent me all new supplies but I threw them in my tackle box and bought some hi tec servos and big bore alum shocks. Over all it's still a beast when she's running.

yeah i've noticed when its running its a very impressive truck. when its running haha. handling could be a little better out of the box, but i understand any 4wd is gonna be difficult to steer.

Really? cause when I talked to a guy named Scott from HPI he acted like I was a little kid and tried telling me BS that I knew was false information.

well put it this way i have seen were members here have just called for advice about a problem there having with a certain part and hpi sends them a new one free of charge and i have heard this alot but I'm not doubting you at all I'm sure not everyone there is polite and knows everything about rc but as a rule i have heard great things about there customer service....

Well he did send me a new OWB. But I insisted that he did. He didnt offer it. He said " I will send it out but this is not going to fix your starting problem. "

I guess it was "okay" costumer service. maybe I just caught him on a bad day.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back