My Savage X rebuild/upgrade process.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArpR

I bought HPI Savage X for 75€. I knew it needed some work, and for that money it shouldn't be problem. From factory it came as X 4.1, but now it has LRP Z28R in it, which still has little bit of metal pinch in it. It has been sitting for 3 years in garage, before I bought it. I've already done complete teardown and rebuild, but I still have some stuff left to do. This picture below is how it came when i got it.
IMG_20170504_210804.jpg

And this is what it looked like yesterday, when I ran it for first time.

20170519_135354.jpg

What I've done now: Replaced all ball bearings, new Savox servos (1267 for throttle/brake and 2274 for steering) + new aluminum diff cups with new spider gears (One diff was toast inside when I got it).

20170508_163424.jpg

20170516_194309.jpg

My first question: Should i get set of big bore shocks?

I hate current ones. They leak and are pain in ass to maintain. I'm not doing big jumps anyway, so bending shock tower shouldn't be issue.

Second question: My spur already melt. What should i do? I think that new one'll melt too. Maybe metal?
Sorry for my bad English, greetings from Estonia!

First off welcome to the forum. I would go with a set of big bore shocks and go with Robinson racing spur gear and clutch bell combo. Hope this helps

Thanks. What about Robinson Racing Gen3 slipper with 47t spur? Any good? Right now my savage has double sided slipper anyways, so I should buy some parts to use regular Robinson spur. With Gen3 I wouldn't need anything.
What I'd like to do now:
  • Robinson Racing 47T Gen3 Slipper Unit
  • Robinson Racing 17T Clutch Bell
  • Dynamite Max-Life Clutch Shoes
  • Mugen 1mm Clutch Springs
  • HPI Big Bore Shocks
What do you guys think about these things? Quite expensive, but I hope it's worth it. I want basher, that would be reliable and strong. With stock spur, clutch etc it ain't.

What i've done now:
*Ordered RRP spur gear, clutch bell and Max-Life clutch shoes
*Painted those chrome rims black
Further plans:
*HPI Big Bore Shocks
*HPI Sway Bar Set
*Maybe LRP 2s LiPo receiver pack.

What next? I think if i get all that stuff it'll be done. Cheap 75€ bargain truck has gone pretty expensive quite fast. My last hope is that it will be fun to bash at least. And that HPI would still be in business, it would suck if HPI has gone out of business. What do you think, will HPI survive tough times?

I have a set of plastic big bores if you are interested.

Don't forget to add a voltage limiter when you go for a LiPo receiver battery..
Have you thought about a liFe battery? No need for a regulator then.. :)

What are you going to do with the savage? Just bashing or track?
If you are a basher there is no need for sway bars. Just lower the truck by taking out the pre-load on the shocks..

Last edited:
Cheap 75€ bargain truck has gone pretty expensive quite fast. My last hope is that it will be fun to bash at least.
I agree I've done and thought the same thing but mine started out as a $60 truck.

My Carson 1/4 scale Go Cart started out as 40 bux, I put in about 300 into it to make it whole again...

I'm not going to use any voltage regulator, because I want to get most out of those Savox servos. They are built to handle 2s LiPo, I use same servos in my TLR nitro and ebuggy. Savage will be only basher, but i kinda think that sway bars stick that truck better to the ground and make it more stable in corners. But i wont order any stuff soon, because other cars need care too.

Latest posts

Members online

Back