My Savage SS wont move???? Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s10rocket

Hey all,
Pretty new to the RC trucks, have airplanes but decided to try the trucks out and I love them. I have an HPI Savage SS that will not move a lick. I replaced the 2 speed transmission yesterday with a berand new one (local hobby shop said that was the problem), fired it up, throttled it and it just sat there. Motor excelerated like it was going to take off but just sat there, does anyone have any idea what the problem may be, I love playing with this thing and I would realy like to get it fixed. I would go back to the hobby shop but have my doubts if they know whats really wrong with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
S10Rocket
:chainkiller:

is your clutch-bell turning when you goose the throttle? if not, then the clutch is the problem...

aside from that, check the entire drive-train, start to finish...center dogbones...diffs...side dogbones...

Pins in, I remember putting it in when I replaced the trans, as for the reverse mod, don't have one. Thanks

Everything is turning down to the diffs, thinking thats the problem. Is it common for a Savage to blow out both diffs at the same time? Thanks To everyone who replies, I'm new at this and any help will be appreciated.

no if it was your diffes that were blown it would at least move a little .... does it even want to move a little

How much run time does this truck have on it?

Turn the spur gear by hand (turn it towards the fuel tank) does it make the wheels turn? If the wheels turn disassemble the clutch and inspect shoes and springs.

maybe check the connecting pins on the drive cups...both going into, and out of, the diffs...

Checked connecting pins, all look to be correct, as for the amount of runtime on the truck, about 3 1/2 gallons of fuel. The truck does try to move but acts as if it can't pull itself. If you throttle it with the tires off the ground, they will turn, set it back down and nothing. I also tried turning the spur gear, tires move but you have to turn the spur around a couple of turns before it feels like something catches and the tires make about a 1/4 of a rotation. Thanks again for your suggestions, hope you guys help me get this thing fixed, it's driving me nuts trying to figure out whats wrong.

Just installed a brand new tranny on Saturday. I checked the clutch shoes and springs and they looked as if they had very little wear on them, I guess I will go ahead and replace them since it's cheap and give that a wirl. I'll let you know if it works.

Well, I finally got it going again, after changing and doing everything everyone suggested, I finally went ahead and took apart the diffs, both of them were blown out. Rear one must have blew out some time ago, it was one solid mass of distruction. The front one was the one that stopped all my fun for a while. I have replaced both with new spiders and the upgraded aluminum cups, saved my old ring and pinion, they were fine. Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, I have learned a lot from thisproblem.

My new question is, do any of you guys or gals run the posi unit in your diffs? Was thinking about taking mine back aprt and putting in the posi units, think I should???

:DJjam:

Just a bit of a heads up its a good idea to change all the gears at once in the diff mostly the 43 tooth and the 13 tooth I learned this from experience because I would flatten a gear or brake a tooth on the 13
and wouldn't change the gear that looked. good The result would be my diffs would blow allot sooner

Ok now about the posi ... If u run on the street at all its not a good idea
or heavy traction areas!! you could go with a heaver weight oil that would help !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your advice, I will order the other 2 gears for both ends, would rather be safe then sorry. As for the posi unit for the diffs, I'll just stick with what I have, I run it on dirt and blacktop so I'm just going to leave that alone. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

Back