My other project - taking time from Savage stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axoman

I've had this car for almost 10 years now, and I almost finally have it how I want it.

It's a 1997 Toyota Supra.

johnfirthnew01.jpg

In the past year, I've been basically rebuilding the whole car. Built a new 3.25 liter stroker engine with a fully ported head/oversize valves, completely new fuel system, clutch, repainted engine bay, new turbo, NHRA 8.50 second certified cage and parachute, etc.

Here is how the engine bay looked before I started the latest build.

DSC00041.JPG

I pulled the motor and stripped the engine bay to have it repainted before putting the new engine in.

Motor out
dirtybay.JPG

Painted and ready for the motor to go back in.

brakes_n_ac.JPG

Engine waiting to go in.
engine2.JPG

Engine in and almost ready to be started.

engine_in2.JPG

So, that's about where I currently am. I hope to have it running and back on the road in a few days as long as I don't have any problems pop up.

I'll post more pictures once it's done.

Wow dude that engine is a true work of art man. I awlays wanted a Supra like that. Simple and clean on the outside, but hiding a real terror of an engine under the hood. I used to have two RX7's and they were pretty nice but all stock under the hood. BTW try not to give yours the Hypnotiq treatment LOL, JK Hyp.

Thanks guys!

The turbo flows enough CFM for about 1300horsepower, which would equate to about 1050=1100 hp at the wheels.

The car is setup for drag racing and I'm hoping for low 9's at over 155mph in the 1/4 mile.

I just got a completely new set of drag wheels and tires, I'll post some pictures in drag trim once I get them mounted.

all i can say is.... if you ever see me hitchhiking please pick me up.. lmao would love a spin in that for sure!!!!!

Sweet, get out there and show those sportbikers whats up
LOL! Low 9's is pretty quick.

Thanks, I've raced a few with my old setup and needless to say, they were shocked at the outcome. My best time with my old setup was a 9.91@146.

What have you done to your drivetrain to handle all them ponies?

It has triple disc carbon clutch, upgraded driveshaft and will have a TRD LSD soon.

lovin that polished up mill bro :resp:

That's all chrome! I got sick of the upkeep when everything was polished.

Nice build Axoman. Can't wait to see the pics of it all finished. And to Justin (for got to qoute ya), here in Fl, definately street legal. If a 1500+ HP (not fully tuned and stock bottom end) Ford GT with a custom twin turbo set-up is street legal, then his supra would be street legal, well, maybe not with the drag tires, but with regular street tires.

It could be street legal in your state too. I'm sure there are a few 600-1000HP Supras around you may not know about.

I was gonna say, it's pretty much street legal anywhere if the DMV doesn't know what you have under the hood. They aren't gonna know unless you try to sell it and have it smogged LOL. My buddie has an '86 Monte Carlo SS with a 383 stroker in it set up to run like an old school car with a carb. Supposed to put out like 475, pretty good compared to the stock motor with all the 80's smog equipment on it. It only put out like 185 stock LOL. He won't have any trouble unless he tries to smog it. Cops aren't gonna know the difference. To most of them it's just an old car with a V8. The most they would bother him for here is maybe the exhaust, but they're not going to look under his hood, and even if they did they probably couldn't tell the difference.

I sort of live in redneck country and you should see the amount of pumped up diesel pickups that run around here. Nobody is bothering them, and there are plenty of them that are pushing over 600HP. One guy has a Ram 3500 ext. cab long bed, that's lifted on 37's. Supposedly runs low 11's in the quarter. It's also known as the dope growing capitol of the nation, so that's where most of them get they're money. Put it all into big trucks, quads, and dirt bikes since they can't do anything else with it LOL.

For those asking, the car is still street legal. It may or may not pass emmisions, but I don't have to where I live. I have averaged about 800 street miles a year since I've owned it.

It still has the heater, power windows, power locks, stereo, AC and until I put the new intake manifold on it, it still had cruise control!

If you stay out of boost, it drives like a stock Supra. Driving it on the street with the street tires and running any decent amount of boost is pointless though, it will spin the tires in 4th gear when going over 100mph. It can be quite a scary ride if you choose to.

It could be street legal in your state too. I'm sure there are a few 600-1000HP Supras around you may not know about.

cant get a sticker in this state. they open the hood look at the turbo and send you on your way.....

Here, once the car has been checked once (last time of sale or new owner), you just keep re-registering it without them looking at it. They would never look at it again until you tried to sell it. Even then, no one looks at it except a smog tech of your choosing. So if you know the right people, it doesn't even have to pass the test LOL. Or, so I've heard...

what about your every day drive... when you do infact dive it

Usually just premium pump gas, as when I drive it on the street it's just to drive and enjoy it, not do any racing.

I may give E-85 a try, although I haven't decided about that yet.

I wish our pump gas (non-E85) was as nice as what you guys have!

Sweet man, A local guy that I used to hang out with built a Supra. He supposedly sent the whole car to HKS who did most of the work. They said it ran in about 1800hp it was super sexy. Then he blew it up with about 600 miles on it.

I have always wanted a TT supra but always heard they cant get traction. I never found the money for this when I was into cars. I did build my 97 Mitz Eclipse GS-T Spyder to just under 450HP at the wheels which never got traction as well and help a buddy build a Turbo 99' Dodge Neon to 600WHP and was street legal and ran slicks at the local 1/4mile. This car ran like a 10.7 and seemed to spin the whole way down the track. I was hanging around with quite a few guys that were running lots of HP. We had a local team and would completely terorize the local PD.

You are doing a great job on this thing. keep up the great work and get some videos soon.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back