My Mid-Tank Mod on my non XL TVP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timatworksg

Hello everyone!

Just joined this wonderful community, where without, I wouldn't have gotten my Savage to be where it is today. I snagged a used X 4.6 (purple hardware) from someone who didn't badly abuse it but never gave it any TLC since he bought it. It came with alot of spare plastic parts and some other bits which was a pretty good deal in the end.
I proceeded to strip it down to it's last bearing and bolt, cleaned everything, re-greased and re-oiled and put her back together replacing with a few new parts here and there. During initial test runs I noticed the dreaded HTL!! Arrgh!

Having this forum to turn to, I started looking into a way to solve it with the solutions posted. As my Savage isn't the XL TVP, OFNA tank mount wasn't possible. Couldn't find a suitable one-way valve at my LHS for the Uniflow Mod and didn't want to wait for any overseas orders being near to the Xmas season. I decided to risk it and got hold of an OFNA (Hobao over here) 250cc tank and started to visualize hoping for the best. The thought of a larger cc tank and being mid-mount was more appealing to me. I could have ordered the FLM TVP's but I have a spare pair of TVP's which came with the deal. Not wanting to spend anymore money, I came up with this solution.

It's not the best, but it worked for me and I hope it will help others here with the non XL TVP's and/or spur new ideas perhaps! I have tested it with several runs and no more HTL issues anymore, which was the aim. I can now tune the engine properly. Here's how I did mine.

I decided to use the electronics box as a base and removed the cover. I found some Aluminum strips 265mm X 20mm X 2mm and started to bend them into brackets on my mini bench vice. The brackets are secured to the electronics box with some appropriate length M3 screws and lock nuts. One bracket is mounted to the center of the box with the front bracket in the battery bay area with a single nut and bolt.

mysav46_0005.jpg

mysav46_0006.jpg

The front bracket doesn't touch the shock tower and so far has not chipped it when bashed. So far so good I guess..lol. The little blue pieces are small foam blocks cut from a square of kids play mat. Glued on, they support the flat end of the fuel tank also helping level it out. The ON/OFF switch is screwed into a piece of Coroplast cut to fit the area where the Throttle Servo sat in. I used servo screws to hold the coroplast down.
The little black box is a small RX box (which buggy/car) I dunno, I found at my LHS. I drilled 2 holes into it's back and cable tied the box strapping it around a part of the TVP. Some sanding had to be done to ensure the box sat flat and stable against the TVP. I then found the antenna holder, cut it off, drilled a hole into the RX box cover, shoved it thru and CA'd it into place. Rather then cut a new hole in the bodyshell, I gently heated the antenna tube and curved it instead.

The Throttle servo had to be replace, so I cut a small rectangle of aluminum to fit the area of the TVP where the stock fuel tank was.
mysav46_0003.jpg

I happen to have 2 small pieces of aluminum which were fabricated as servo holders for another project and decided to use them here instead. They are mounted to the Alum plate with the smaller black screws. The cable ties hold the servo wire down. I had to sand the engine stop piece a little to allow it to sit flat.

Below is how everything pretty much sits. The fuel tank brackets were drilled to bolt on X2 M3 screws to act as the tank holder posts. Currently, I am holding the tank down with 2 long nylon M3 post which I screw down to hold the tank in place. The Tank sits high but no issues thus far and clears the bodyshell with alot of space!

mysav46_0004.jpg

mysav46_0002.jpg

mysav46_0001.jpg

What my baby looks like now.

mysav46_0007.jpg

I think I covered all I could. Sorry if I don't have more detailed pics but if anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them as well as I can.

Some things I learnt are ;
- Bending the base L of the brackets first to get an idea of where to mount them helps. Once you got that, you can bend the second L which supports the tank.
- The brackets are off-set as the tank has a little protrusion below (the intake filter) and the mounting holes are not squared. So test fit, test fit, test fit before drilling...lol!

The HTL is gone which is what I was aiming for. The Tank sits secure and doesn't wobble or wanna fall off!
Only hassle is, I am using the battery bay area for my hump pack, so everytime I will need to remove the tank to put the battery in. I have the hump pack in a ballon for now, and I may do a simple cover out of Coroplast in the future. For now, it's a small hassle to remove, put battery, and replace....but it works for me and not hard to do.

I'll end here for now! Hope this helps or at least contributes to more ideas or spurs the creative juices even more. Just a simple hack to allow me to use a 250cc tank, have it mid mounted and not have to order something for a re-build.

Lastly, any typos, errors, bad explanations....please forgive me. Typing while the kids are chatting away!

Cheers all!
Tim

Oh...forgot to add in case anyone is wondering....
I have a Coroplast bottom plate cable tied to the TVP to keep dirt and mud away from the brake disc and those candy colored shocks are rocket ballons...hehe!

You can get that tank further into that old electronics tray believe it or not. If it ever becomes an issue, we can probably help you.

As for your battery issue. Look into the firestorm battery box. It fits perfectly mounted to the front of the front shock tower. It's a very common use for midtank modders. I've linked it for you below:
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/100323

Great write up! This is actually a fairly common budget method for midtank modding, and it never hurts to resurface it for others to see and learn from.

Thanks guys! It was done based on what I had, cheapest alternative (could be cheaper maybe..), least hassle.
Yes 'X' I could get the tank further into the electronics box, and the thought of cutting the box up did cross my mind. But I hesitated as I wasn't sure cutting away would work, for fear of one wrong cut would mean buying a new box. Buying new bits wasn't on the list,...lol.. Next on the list is to get a pair of engine braces and a piece of 2mm Alum sheet and make a bay like whats been done with the FLM TVP's. Only prob will be finding a way to mount the steering servo to the X TVP's as the Letter 'X' at the side doesn't give much support to servo arms. I may end up drilling holes for another short plate instead....down the road for sure. I'm enjoying it as is now.
Thanks for the link to the battery box. Will consider for sure. I chose to utilize the space there since the tank didn't sit into the box. Thought of mounting the battery externally, but that wasted space in there made me use it...hehe.
Once the finances have recovered from Xmas..haha...it's back to shopping for parts again.

LOL rikkidy!
You know,...I think I did. But even with coupon codes, I didn't wanna spend anything more on my Savage as yet. I Got it in November and then being near the Xmas season....the wife kinda gives you that subtle hint of 'we already spent alot on presents'
Besides, I live across the pond and spending near Xmas wasn't a comfortable thing to do. Worse...it'll take too long for stuff to arrive!
So holding out till next year...next week in fact...LOL! Yeah...no discounts but I can get me a set of Prolines!!

Thanks X....innovative RC is definately on the shopping list!!

Just an update...I'm attempting to sink the 250cc tank lower. Which means some braces, some drilling and an aluminum plate to hold it all together!
Already bought the Aluminum and have sawed, cut, filed them to shape and smooth. Just need to pick up a Hand Tap tomoro for tapping some holes.
If all goes well...it should work.

Here's where I am so far on an improvement to my Mid Tank Mod. Still a ghetto hack...as I'd prefer scavenging and keeping cost down as much as possible including trips to buy extras. Only trip was to a Metal Supplier for the metal bits and a hardware store for a M3 Hand Tap bit.

After one screw up piece, it was the prototype anyway...hehe, finally got one to my satisfaction.
HTM20002.jpg

The main plate taking shape.
HTM20001.jpg

The second brace done.
HTM20004.jpg

Testing the alignment of the brace which will secure the steering.
Who put that screw there!!!!
HTM20003.jpg

Thats all for now. The brace will have a small curve filed down to give clearance to the screw. I will have to drill holes on the TVP to bolt on the rear brace. Then it's figuring out which method of securing the servo works best with what I have. But at least the main bulk and difficult part of the build is done so the rest is refining.

Till then....

Sorry for the little delay in updates here but finally had the time to do so.
Here's the Mid Tank Mod completed. Everything fits well, no warps and is secure! Only niggle was the servo is a little off level but doesn't warp the control arm so no issues. Gave it a test run and all held up well. Time will tell....but I like the way it sits lower into the TVP.
I've temporarily made a coroplast battery box mounted to the front shock tower till I get a proper one when stock is in. Last thing I need is to find and mount the switch in a better place. I'd prob swap the current Rx box to something bigger so I can put the switch in there as well. But overall...was fun fabricating with a limited toolset and its an improvement overall! Satisfied! Here's some pics!

mysav0005.jpg
Test fit and all is going well.
mysav0006.jpg
My crude way of servo mounting...hehe!
mysav0008.jpg
Success!

Thanks Jam! It definitely did! Also the lower tank doesn't flood fuel too quickly into the carb...lol!

Thanks rcnut! So far it's holding up which is good...gulp...haha! Time will tell, but at least it's been done and any further improvements now are easier.
I do have a spare set of TVP's so I could always work on that for a cleaner look. For now I'll enjoy it the way it is! If it works why fix it!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back