My groovey roll cage that may take a drop.. Its gnarly, take a peek

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chronic

So, I bought this ebay roll cage last year when I bought my truck, its nice.. But its weak! Every hit resulted in me bending the cage back, out of my shocks most of the time. It was annoying, but it was nice. I like my truck with a roll cage on it rather than a body to be honest.

I've been wanting to modify it and make my own for a long time and tonight I finnaly did.

I bought some 1/8" steel from the hobby store, set my welder low and dove in.

It was fun and I'm happy with how it turned out. I was going for a baja truck look.

I went for a design that should at the very least be strong around the motor. Reinforced a few sections that were prone to bending. Turned out nice.
I mounted it on my front and rear bumper, plus the stock plastic roll bar in the middle so that it absorbs the impacts despite being steel.

Anyway, pics.

Picture318.jpg

Picture319.jpg

Picture320.jpg

Picture321.jpg

Picture322.jpg

Picture323.jpg

Picture324.jpg

Picture325.jpg

Now I just need to fix my massive air leak in my axial and it'll be a sweet smooth toy until I destroy the cage.

very nice looking work man...what did it look like before? I have the same problem..I never remember to take before and after pics...just after ;)

I have a buddy at work that has the rc raven cage and he bends it at the junction right in front of the front window is everytime we drive. He asked me if I could beef it up for him. This looks like an awesome template to work from. IMO this should be made a sticky as these cages are everywhere....NICE WORK.....:resp:

nice work i was thinking about getting a cage instead of a new body again

Yeah i have one Never use it .. I modified it to fit the X style roll bar

good job

Good job I was thinking about doing the samething with mine I don't have mine on because I got tired of bending mine out of the shocks. How did you attach it to the front and rear skid plates.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, i know I could make it a hell of alot stronger. But I was just experimenting. The bar was cheap, I can make another.
This is what it used to look like
Picture309.jpg

Best photo i could find.

great work modifing that roll cage!! its nice to see people coming up with ideas to make products better!!:resp:

Works decent too. I took a couple hard rolls and a decent fall on the top and its still straight. I guess I'll really note results when I get to some jumps.
Had to cancel early since I ripped my untenna off :( haha
Get it back on and go foranother chew.

But yeah, its fun. This is why I love these things so much. I have my 300zx that I modify and fab turbo bits for. Then a little nitro, its basically the same stuff, just a little smaller heh. And you really get to see results of where your ideas failed and work since they see stresses uncomparable to a car... Or at least I haven't run 100psi of boost yet and tried to dukes of hazard over a river.
Kind of surprises me not many guys try making their own pipes and more drive line things.

Some how I don't know how, But I split my stupid fuel tank I've had for a whopping two days. But other wise, things are holding up. After like four hours of bashing today, I feel comfortable in painting it and not wasting my time lol

Great job, looks really good =) I could really use a roll cage, but there are too many to choose from! My HPI stock plastic one seems to have done a good job so far though!

Nice workshop you have!! I have to use the dining room table. Our workshop is full of my dads classic cars.. you can't move in there =(

Yeah, fortunately my dads classic sits in the shed where for 20 years he'd planned to restore it haha, instead my car and my savage invade the garage on weekends. Probably the only reason I see my parents regularily.

But yeah, finnaly cracked it the other day. We had some beers after work, and a buddy had told me I should ramp up this pile of sand that blew over our fence, try to ride up the fence and fakie out lol

Yeah, it just turned into a big back flip to cage on pavement. Mystery metal and stainless plus flux core weld failed. Needless to say I welded it back up and now I'm working on another cage with metal I know about so my welds aren't like "hmm... I think it will hold" hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
why don't you try making someway to support the middle, that will strengthen the whollle cage in multiples would it not?

I kind of left the middle the open just so it will have some give. I clamped the top of it to the stock plastic roll cage, and combined with being attatched at the bumpers. It sucks up so much, that way the cage protects my motor, battery, radio, shock towers and ****... but then its not entirely up to the welds.

And it seems to be doing fine. I've had this thing on for months, and had a ton of high high drops to the roof and I've only cracked one weld. Its even sailed into a tree off a DJ and survived lol

I ripped a front wheel off hitting a rock, but the cage doesn't very well protect the wheels. So its been working great ;)

Yeah lol I kind of want a little spoiler... don't know how it would look though. I'll have to make some ****ty little plastic thing just to gain an idea.

Latest posts

Members online

Back