My Flux Rebuild and Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88gtanotchback

SAVAHOLIC
Well Tonight i started a project. My flux was Dirty and the pinion was stripped so i thought i would tear it apart, clean it up and throw on some upgrades i had in the garage, collecting dust.
As i started tearing into it, ive found a few thing that were i need of repair since the last run.

1) 20t pinion
2) Drive gear (18-23t)
3) upper arm
4) SHD Dog bone
5) rubber rings in the diff cups
6) Servo Horn was about to fall off
7) Rear shock bolt bent
8) Chipped drive cup

Thats all ive found thus far i still have the front end to go though. I guess it was time for a tear down...

I started with this.
3347134025_large.jpg

3347134027_large.jpg

I replaced the stripped pinion with a 18t. I have ordered some 4200mah 35c lipos to run 5s in the flux so under some advice I'm going to re-gear it to be safe.
The Stripped Drive gear i replace with the HD drive gear. Had to clean out the inside of the trans case to, what a mess of metal dust...
I Added a HPI Suspension Conversion set while the truck was apart, as well as HPI sway bar kit, and a PRC wing mount and pro-line wing. The Bullet proof diffs were still in perfect shape after all the abuse so thats a plus. lol
3347134026_large.jpg

Heres the main Chassis cleaned up. Still using the TCS TVP's. Super tough and perfect fit. Running an Ace 1015 servo for steering.

Here's the Rear section Almost complete, minus the shocks, and some tweaks.
3347134030_large.jpg

And partially assembled. I may lower the wing yet, it looks a little high.
3347134032_large.jpg

So all thats left is the Front end tomorrow and and the shocks and tires and its all set!

Front end went from this
3347134034_large.jpg

To this
3347134035_large.jpg

And back together almost done
3347134037_large.jpg

3347134039_large.jpg

Front end all i found for damage was a bent shock shaft, wrecked lower a arm, and a bulkhead brace. This truck will be running tip top now i hope!

Well i Got her all finished up tonight.
Ready to go for when the new LiPo gets here. then i'm into 5s fun!!!
3347134040_large.jpg

3347134041_large.jpg

3347134042_large.jpg

I have to ask a mildly simple question....what kind of cleaner do you use to clean it that well into all the nooks and crannies. I assume using a paintbrush to scrub is the way to go but that just looks brand new...Nice rig!

When i do a cleaning i go all out. I tear it down to pieces, spray everything with simple green, scrub, put it into hot soapy water, scrub, wd-40, reinstall. it sounds ridiculous but i got it down now that it doesnt take that much time really, and i much mor eenjoy working on a truck when its clean.

Went out again to adjust the HPI suspension conversion tonight. I think i have it set up alright, a few test runs will tell me better though. I Also added Lunsford titanium turnbuckles up front, as well as add a skid plate. I used a RPM plate, and just slightly modded it to fit. seems to fit real well actually, and its on there tight!
3347134043_large.jpg

3347134045_large.jpg

3347134046_large.jpg

You did a awesome job of cleaning it, it look brand new. Is wd40 the secret to get the plastics looking brand new? It look very nice 88 well done.:thumb:

So you had all those sweet up-grades just sitting in the shed ah, can I come around to your place :slapped: ok maybe not.:bolt::bigsmilie:

You did a awesome job of cleaning it, it look brand new. Is wd40 the secret to get the plastics looking brand new? It look very nice 88 well done.:thumb:

So you had all those sweet up-grades just sitting in the shed ah, can I come around to your place :slapped: ok maybe not.:bolt::bigsmilie:

WD 40 make it look new and help repel dirt after running. Instead of the mud being stuck on, it helps to repel the mud off with air compressor because of the silicone in the WD 40. I spray WD40, and allow the silicone to sit for 30 mins then blow any excess. :beer: Ready for the next bash.

Opps Yah 88 it looks good

looks awesome 88!!!

i love the ti turnbuckles!

One problem i have been having recently though is with the plastic turnbuckle/tie rod ends not holding their shape. After a few cartwheels, the ends holding the ball joints, start to stretch and sag, causing play in the steering.... I don't know if other people have this problem, but this can occur after one large cartwheel or single, front wheel landing...

I guess thiis is good as it takes some strain away from the servo, but i am continuouslly replacing them to remove the slop...

Sorry for my rant, i just want to see if others experience this too?

ya i was stock piling for a bit i guess. whenever i come across a good deal ill pick it up so i can modify later. i like to be always changing something. its getting to be slim picking in the garage now tho. :flyaway:

@J1A1H i have had the same issue, i just pick up spares off fleebay, and when i do tear downs replace as needed. i have some integy aluminum ends i acquired somehow, but have never tried em out. I'm assuming there name tells the story before i even bother.

i also managed to pick up some alloy ends from flea bay, and would you believe it or not, but the ball joint in the alloy was ripped out during a tumble!!!

Currently my truck is running very very solid, and there don't seem to be any weak point in the truck any longer apart from the a arms and dog bones bending from hard landings. The only problem are the tie rods and my steering.... Frustrating...

ya i was stock piling for a bit i guess. whenever i come across a good deal ill pick it up so i can modify later. i like to be always changing something. its getting to be slim picking in the garage now tho. :flyaway:

it's easier on the hip pocket that way.
yeah up-grades are addictive.
not for to long I bet, feed the addiction.:lmao3:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back