My FLM EXT LCG Savage X build (Ton Of Pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattP

Well I have a completely stock Savage X 4.6 rtr sitting here and after I talked to a few guys I decided to go with a set of the FLM ext lcg tvp's along with a FLM motor plate. My parts will be here in a few days but I decided to go ahead and start the teardown today.

Here it is without the engine:

100_1525.jpg

Then with no shocks because I'm planning on changing the oil until I decide on which aftermarket shocks to go with:

100_1528.jpg

100_1529.jpg

Now the rear end is off the truck:

100_1530.jpg

Right side tvp is off now:

100_1531.jpg

A shot of what screws have been removed so far:

100_1532.jpg

Now I remove the screws from the left tvp to reveal the final 2 sections of the truck:

100_1533.jpg

A closer look:

100_1534.jpg

All of your electonics stay bolted in to your radio box along with your steering bellcranks:

100_1535.jpg

Tranny with motor plate still bolted on to it:

100_1536.jpg

The final look at the tools and screw count to completely disassemble the truck into front and rear sections and tranny:

100_1538.jpg

Everything so far:

100_1539.jpg

I will be updating this thread with new pics as soon as my FLM parts arrive this week. I'm really amazed at how easily the savage x comes apart. As with all builds keeping your screws and tools organized really helps a lot. I like to group things together neatly because it's so much easier to find a part.

I'm planning on installing the FLM EXT LCG TVP's and FLM Motor Plate first and then reassembling the truck and running it for a bit to note any differences in handling. After that I am going to add more parts and update the thread with any notes I have on each additional hopup.

Later this afternoon I got to thinking about what shocks to go with. I really like the lst style shocks that are on my losi mt's so I decided to go with those. I remembered looking up some Lst shock conversions and was wondering why I needed one. So I took a lst shock and got to fitting it on the savage front clip. Well about 10 minutes later I had all 4 Lst shocks fitted perfectly on my savage x front and rear clips with NO conversion.

Here's the finished look that I like very much.... :)

100_1540.jpg

100_1542.jpg

100_1541.jpg

All it took was some longer screws for the lower and upper shock mounts. I'm using the stock lst upper shock bushings as well. Since I am going with the extended tvp's I mounted the rear shocks on the inside of the tower. Once my Integy rear hub carriers come I will relocate them to the rear of the truck.

Sorry for some of the pics being low quality. I don't have very good light in my hobby room. I'm going to get some clearer pics of the lst shocks mounted today and post them here.

Samrsnow: I'm very stoked that the x don't need a conversion for the lst shocks. I kept reading that you HAD to have one so I figured I would just check it out for myself. My setup looks factory to me. The black lst shocks blend in perfect with the rest of the black plastic on the savage.. :)

wow i never knew you could mount lst shocks without the conversion, its good to know.. i am looking forward to seeing more of your build!!

man, are you organized! nice thread bro.... hpi makes an aluminum exhaust mount for the savage x ss that fits perfectly into the flm tvp if you want to get rid of that plastic hanger ... think i paid $6 at the lhs.
cant wait to see how things shape up when you get your flms :jamout:

Make sure to put locking nuts on the back of those screws at the bottom of those losi shocks. There is alot of leverage on that little piece of plastic. Now is a good time to put the steering bearings in also, looks like you still got the plastic bushings. On the extended chassis you should have room with the shocks on the front of the rear tower, but don't be surprised if you punch holes in the back of the tank with the setup. Looks good...keep it going.

Looks good so far man! I like how you didn't have to use the LST conversion kit!

Yep just stand offs and offset rims.

Matt I have a tie rod relocator if you want to move these rear shocks out back LMK.. Just cover the ship and its yours.

Blazer: I had actually thought about adding some locknuts to the lower shock mounting bolts but haven't done it yet. Thanks for reminding me about the bellcrank bearings. I will order them this morning while it's on my mind.

Bank: Thanks for the offer but I ordered a set of integy rear hub carriers so I won't have any need for the relocator. Good looking out though... :)

Well my FLM parts arrived today so I continued my build.

Nicely packaged parts:

100_1566.jpg

The motor plate:

100_1568.jpg

This shot I had the stock hpi braces bolted on the plate as I forgot to bolt on the FLM ones that came with the tvp's....lol:

100_1569.jpg

Some shots of the left side:

100_1570.jpg

100_1572.jpg

Some from the right:

100_1573.jpg

100_1574.jpg

Got the FLM braces installed now on the motor plate:

100_1575.jpg

Now it's starting to come together:

100_1576.jpg

100_1577.jpg

100_1579.jpg

100_1581.jpg

100_1580.jpg

I bought a Savage X SS pipe and hanger from ebay so that should be here anyday.

100_1584.jpg

Everything fit flawlessly with the exception of when I went to set my gear mesh. The heads of the engine mount bolts ever so slightly hit the inside of the tvp causing the engine to not come over quite enough for a straight mesh. I will clearance this area just a tad with a dremel tomorrow so I can get my mesh correct. If I had some correct size button head screws it would work like it is. Here is where I'm talking about:

100_1584.jpg

100_1583.jpg

Well the savage is finally coming together. My integy rear hub carriers should be here soon so I will update the thread with pics of those installed and some outside shots that are brighter and clearer of the whole truck. Probably going to add the FLM center skid and possibly in a few weeks go ahead with a mid tank setup. I also ordered bearings for my steering bellcranks from Avid and I will be adding those in the next week as well.

Any questions or comments let me know.

So far I LOVE the look of the truck and can't wait to get a new body mounted and get some run time on this beast!

lookin' sweet matt, your gonna love that set up bro...... if you catch this in time, swing in to your local hardware store or pm me your addy for some button-head screws so you don't have to take a dremel to your spankin'-new tvps....... if not, then have it bro, lol
:chainkiller:

Freddy: We had the right size button heads at our shop so I grabbed those today. I still have those to put on. Will probably do that later today.

On another note. I came home from work today and had some stuff in the mailbox... :)

100_1585.jpg

I started on the Integy hub carriers first.

Integy vs stock parts that get replaced:

100_1587.jpg

Halfway there:

100_1589.jpg

Looking much better now(Also I moved my lst shocks to the rear of the arms since the Integy carriers get rid of the rear turnbuckle):

100_1590.jpg

Started on the Savage X SS pipe and hanger next:

100_1592.jpg

100_1596.jpg

Ran some new fuel line as well:

100_1597.jpg

100_1598.jpg

Well that's all for now. Planning on running the truck a little once the snow clears so see how it does. I will continue to update this thread while my savage continues undergoing changes. I will most likely get some video of it pretty soon as well.

Hope everyone has liked what they have seen so far...... :coolkid01:

looks awesome!!!

that is a great build you've got going there Matt, glad you found the buttons and didnt have to grind your tvps....

I forgot to add that I took the stock hpi motor plate braces and put them at the bottom of the chassis to give it a little more strength and protection until my center skidplate gets here.

Also if one wanted to save a few bucks you could install the stock engine mount braces like I did. Then take a scrap piece of lexan and mount that onto the braces for a el cheapo skid plate. It would be clear and also you could paint the inside of it if you wanted to.... Or like I thought about just leave it clear.

I have a Lst size body coming for the savage also. I test fit one of my lst bodies and it fit the savage perfect so that's what I ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to add that I took the stock hpi motor plate braces and put them at the bottom of the chassis to give it a little more strength and protection until my center skidplate gets here.

Also if one wanted to save a few bucks you could install the stock engine mount braces like I did. Then take a scrap piece of lexan and mount that onto the braces for a el cheapo skid plate. It would be clear and also you could paint the inside of it if you wanted to.... Or like I thought about just leave it clear.

I have a Lst size body coming for the savage also. I test fit one of my lst bodies and it fit the savage perfect so that's what I ordered.

lookin' good.....great idea with the stock eng braces... you run it yet?

Thanks for compliments guys.

Unfortunately I haven't ran it yet. I never thought to order a xl rotostart wand until I went to start it and the wand was too short...lol.

Sooo...I guess I'll snag one off of ebay and wait another week before I get to run it.... :(

wow great build its looking awsome!!!!!

Thanks 88. I'm about to order the stuff to midtank it now so I will most likely update this thread later with a bunch more pics...... :)

Top quality looking truck and a really good thread with good pictures and descriptions.

Loving the look of the truck, and will be ordering a set of rear carriers in a few minutes, lol!

Dan.

Members online

Back