my first race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

I will start by saying that I got second in the main to a lst. Now for the fun stuff. Got there out the truck on the track for open practice. Half way through the first lap steering servo went. Managed to track down a brand new Jr 650 which was better than the 590 I had but over paid for it. Cost me 65. Well first heat got 4th despite a the fact that I blew the pinion in the rear. I replaced it in time for the second heat but when I went to test it it was skipping I tore it apart again to find that It destroyed a second pinion. Come to find out the diff bearings both broke and was slowing the diff to slid back and forth well tore the diff down along with an old on to replace the bearings at this point the hunt for shims started. Found some and got it all together again but the second heat had already started. So I missed that on and had to start dead last in the main. Start of the main I managed to get in front of the pack in a half a lap and my truck stalls. Well it gets brought back and restarted and I am off a lap down well I get back on the lead lap by some luck and the fact that my 250 tank means I don't need to refuel. I get the lead back than loss it as my truck overheats and I loose because my truck looses almost all power. Well second isn't too bad. My mistake I tuned my truck to run with no body when I put a body on with no cut outs for air flow combined with a.tank that was nearly dry and you get an engine temp way to high. I thought for sure I fried it but replaced the plug and it started and ran great. Thank you god. No way I could have got a new mill in time for the next race. So I am going to cut out some air holes in the body and retune with the body on. Never even thought it would matter.

Funny thing though the announcer thought my truck was a revo when I was racing and well the wife wasn't going to have that and went over and told him it wasn't a revo it was a savage. Thouht that was funny and even made me laugh up on the driver stand.

Congrats Alex on 2nd place..Hopefully you got all of your problems worked out.That way the next race you can lay the smack down on them with your revo..:lmao:.. I mean savy..:peace:

Sweet Alex!

I tell ya you won't go to a race and not have problems....I have found that out.....

5 years of racing and don't think I have had a race day that I didn't have some sort of issues during the day.

Yep no biggie will shim the front diff up and get it tuned for running with a body. Going to get a e revo body and put on it for laughs.

Good stuff Alex. Sorry I never took your call today. I was deep in that rsc thrad I posted up tonight.

now ALex....you shoulda known better than to ride in a race with no air holes in the body!!!! ooooo...quick tip for ya bud.......when your truck gets that hot and you cut it off.....make sure you bring that piston down to the bottom of the stroke......it will definitely save you from getting a new piston & sleeve. when she gets that hot.....that sleeve need to contract to keep that compression seal. you problem already knew that i'm sure....but just a reminder in the adrenaline rush of racing......i know how it is..........

Congrats on your first racc Alex. Starting dead last and finishing in 2nd place says alot about your driving skills.:cheers:

Nice one mate, 2nd place in your first race!! Id be over the moon!

All the best on your next race and remember were all behind ya!

you dint say if you had fun or not.

sounds like you did to me. you overcame a lot of obstacles & dint give up & it paid off.

my favorite part is that your mrs straightened things out down there, lol.

evil clown

congrats pope!! 2nd place is sweet! Hope to see you take first one day.. but as long as your having fun thats all that counts!

Thanks guys. I got some good advice take it slow and stay on your wheels. Worked great. Yes freddy I had a blast and despite some whinning from the wife she loved it to and spent the rest of the night talking about it to everyone she knew. She is talking about getting tables a trailer (I told here about yours parker). Canopy and all the fixens. Good times It may become a whole family activity for us as it is only a few years before the little guy will be ready to race too.

Glad to hear your wife is getting instrested in your hobby. Nothing better than family activities togather.

Think I may have found half the problem with over heating. Fired it up on saturday and the exsust was leaking out around the head. Tightened each of the 6 screws up by at least a 1/4 turn each. That was a major air leak.

Congrats, I'm sure there's a bunch of 1st place on the way for you. I raced boats and on road and there's always an issue, it's part of racing, don't let it get to you and you'll be ok!!

Thank you. Issues don't bother me to much as long as they get fixed.

Latest posts

Members online

Back