My engine wouldn't start until I gave gas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymondaecom

HPI savage X 4.6
I m new to nitro car and just bought a used savage. The car starts only when I gave it gas on the remote at the same time using the Roto start. The engine stops when I stop giving gas on the remote.
What should I adjust?

Your idle is too low to supply enough nitro for a constant combustion. Remove your air filter and adjust the idle gap to max 1mm. Also, make sure you keep your breaks pressed and then adjust the end point of throttle so you don't go low enough to switch the engine off when you apply breaks.

I was (am) in the same boat for a bit. New to Nitro and used savage. Through reading and experimenting I found... if the idle gap is too narrow you have to gas it to get it to run. BUT.. if the idle gap is normal and you have to widen it (gas it) to get it to run the carb is too rich and the temporary solution is to gas the car to get it to run. (gasing the car open up the car and lets more air through leaning out the mix) The correct fix for this is to lean out one of your needles so the carb is no longer rich.

Just from my limited experience ... i have found fiddling with the high speed needle did not affect idle very much. Fiddling with the low speed needle even just a little had a noticeable affect on idle. I ended up getting it to run (poorly) with the idle way to high, then did the pinch test on the fuel line to get the low speed needle tuned leaner. Every other time I adjusted the low speed needle leaner I had to close the idle gap a bit so the idle was not so fast it wanted to turn the wheels.

Starting from factory carb settings helps alot too. Hope maybe my story of trial and error might give you an idea or two that might help your situation.

Latest posts

Members online

Back