My Custom nylon - mainst nylon style roll cage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J1A1H

Its still a work in progress... more info on how it was made in my build (check sig)

2010-09-12190607.jpg

2010-09-12190626.jpg

2010-09-12190658.jpg

i removed the pre load spacers when i was working on the truck... I hadnt installed them for the pictures...

i will weigh the truck again as i am interested to see how the removal of the tranny but addition of the GH Bulks and LiPo boxes have added to the weight...

looks sweeet!!! thanks for sharing...........

Thanks a lot guys!

small update to the cage...
still not completed but it is very strong now whlist maintaining a lot of flex... I can now put all my body weight on it...

2010-09-14215808.jpg

2010-09-14215828.jpg

These are the rear supports. They are very strong but offer a lot of flex to a point

2010-09-14215913.jpg

The cage isnt finished yet... should be done in the next few days...

Cage Update...

I have spent enough time on the cage now and the final part didnt come out how i would have hoped for...

i thought the cage would have looked better with the nylon sheeting.....

I bought some 2mm nylon sheeting and this stuff is very strong, flexible stuff!!!

i'll let the pics do the talking....

2010-09-18161605.jpg

2010-09-18161539.jpg

2010-09-18161659.jpg

as you can see the cage does not look great at all!!! and it just obscures my ease of accessing the internals of the truck...

so i thought i would remove the large centre cover part, and leave the front shock tower cover on to protect and offer some form of aerodynamic down force at high speeds (if it works)....

2010-09-18163902.jpg

2010-09-18163914.jpg

2010-09-18163924-1.jpg

I would prefer to run the cage as is but the front shock tower support should offer some form of protection...

Plus i spent quite a bit of time on it, and so i don't want to remove all my wasted work....

I am going to make some rear A arm deflector things out of the nylon, should be robust and protect the rear a little...

whats going on with those shock spacers? have you run em set up like that yet?

frddy, firstly I'm running the red hellfire springs (stiffest) and without running these spacers when the truck has the lowered suspension, the truck bottoms out very very easily with the weight of the GH Bulks, and huge hyperion lipos etc....

It handles really nicely when on dirt, grass, etc.. (nothing too bumpy)

When off road, i just put the stock shocks with stock travel....

This stiff suspension setup allows me to drift,and allows the car to turn nicely.

Yea the spacers work well... i wasnt a fan of the progressive spring setup...

Cage looks really good man. I think we may have used the same rod. Is yours 3/8ths inch like mine? I really like how durable that stuff is. Have you gotten any real good bashing in with it yet? I'm planning to try like hell to break mine tomorrow. If I cant break it, then I'm calling it done. LOL.

Thanks bud

I used 12mm nylon 6 rod and 10mm as adjoining braces.

This cage is tough! i have had some horribe landings and even crashes directly into posts and walls! THe cage absorbs any impacts and has definitely saved me many times!!!

Also with the method i have used using the bumpers to mount the rod... has stiffened up the chassis a lot, and handling and roll has been improved!

Nice. As said man great job. Did you get a look at my final cage design? I put up some pics of it for all to enjoy. It takes all of my 230+lbs standing on it. LOL! And then I slammed it into the ground with both hands in a test to prove to myself and all those who doubted me that it would hold up. But after seeing yours and a few others I'm totally sold on the Nylon. Keep it up man.

no i don't think i ever saw yours??? could you post one or link me to it?

Nylon is the way forward! I will incorporate it into any RC

No i haven't as of yet! many people are telling me to get on there... I'm going to give it a go today at some point!!!

HAHA i did have a 10 second look and did get deterred by it originally and said to myself... ill come back to this soon haha

ill PM you if i have any probs!

Cheers

whoops... i have only just got up... its 10:30 here... just got a new summer house/shed I'm putting up in the garden as my new work place... got a long day of sealing it and putting my new bench and work place up :)
chat tonight

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back