My 1st Nitro Savvy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan86

Savage Basher
After playing with my nitro bullet i decided to build a nitro savage. I have a savage roller sitting around the shed (Minus motor, clutch/spur,
fuel tank, wheels...see pic) which i built using spare parts.

Before.JPG

When i started ordering the parts i need to get her going i think i got a bit carried away. Heres a pic and list of what i have ordered so far:

PRC_Parts.JPG
Parts_1.JPG

Alloy Engine Mount for HPI Savage / Savage X (Silver)
Fioroni OT-FR70 Turbo Sliding Clutch Complete
Golden Horizons Aluminum Servo Horn II Black HRC
Hot Bodies Deck Wing Holder Lightning
HPI Bumper Set
HPI Hellfire Body Mount Set 85514
HPI O-Ring 6x9.5x2mm Black Savage 21 (8)
HPI Racing H/D Clutch Bell 17T Savage
HPI Racing Heavy Duty Servo Saver Spring 21x12x1.9mm
HPI Savage Suspension Conversion Set
HPI Savage 17MM Wheel Extenders .25 XL 4.6 X 1.0" Long
HPI SAVAGE X XL 5.9 4.6 52T SLIPPER CLUTCH SPUR GEAR
HPI SAVAGE X XL 5.9 4.6 4.1 FLYWHEEL CLUTCH SHOES NEW
HPI SAVAGE X 4.6 4.1 ENGINE GUARD ROLL BAR NEW
HPI Steering Linkage Set Baja
HPI Steering Upgrade Set Savage (4)
HPI Savage X/XL/FLUX Front/Rear Sway Bar Set HPI102538
HPI Savage 3 Speed tranny
HPI Savage BP diffs
McCoy MC-8 Medium Cold Glow Plug
O'Donnell Shock Set Big Bore Truggy Rear Z01T
Ofna 086 Inline Pipe Polished
Ofna .28 Picco w/Pull Start
Ofna Aluminum Fuel Filter Fine
Ofna Fuel Line Tube Yellow 2'
Ofna Fuel Tank 1/7 Scale
Ofna Linkage Sliders Kit Blue (2)
Ofna Servo Horn Heavy Duty Black
Ofna Servo Linkage Kit Blue
Ofna "S" Fuel Tube Clips
PRC122 - C/F Roll bar
PRC125 - C/F OFNA mid tank kit
PRC133 - C/F Shock tower kit
PRC180 - C/F Battery box plate
PRC118 - C/F LCG EXT TVP KIT
PRC154 - C/F Balkhead kit
PRC110 - C/F Motor Plate
RB Innovations High Performance Cyclone Filter Red
RPM 82002 R Front or L Rear Suspension Arm BL, Savage
RPM 82012 L Front or R Rear Suspension Arm BL, Savage
RPM "Dirty Danglers" - Saddle Sore Pink RPM70695
Traxxas Wing Exo-Carbon Revo 3.3

I'm sure there is more, i will add to the list as i go.
Would like to say thanks to the hpisf members for helping me out and answering my questions.

Well, first things first, Stripping down the old savvy. Undo a few screws and the while thing pulls apart. Started stripping down the balk head/shock towers ready to replace them with prc towers and balk head plates.

Balkhead_plates.JPG
Balk_mod.JPG

I had to cut a bit of the balk head off so the prc tower would fit. I also filed a little bit off the tower so it would fit on the balk head

prc_tower.JPG

I filed the tower where the diff cover fits between the tower.

44.JPG

310.JPG

I also filed a little off the edges of the tvp so it would attach to the balk head. It took a bit to get the balk plate to bend and line the screws up nicely but when i did it all come together nicely. I was a bit worried about the plate straight compared to the original ones which were bent slightly but after talking to savagesam, he told me it will still be all sweet.

I managed to mount the tranny and motor plate before it was getting late. Heres a pic of where I'm at now.

Stage_1.JPG

Hope you guys enjoy the pics =)

wow, if i had a order like that the wife would shoot me!! lol but seriously it looks like a awsome build,thanks for sharing.......

nice lookin start to a truck ryan. am i seeing a k&n style air filter tho? they don't stop the smaller dirt particles that can really hurt or nitro mills. check out motorsavers filters

nice lookin start to a truck ryan. am i seeing a k&n style air filter tho? they don't stop the smaller dirt particles that can really hurt or nitro mills. check out motorsavers filters

Yeah, i just read up on them last night and i saw a few bad reveiws about letting in the smaller particles. I bought this one coz it looked good and thought they air filters were all the same. I also bought a set of these, will this help or should i still go the motorsaver filter?
http://www.rbinnovations.com/Filter_Sock_p/fc3270.htm

i liked the motorsaver.

check with bankie on how to mod the tube so it stays on your picco nice & snug.

+3 Motor Saver. Start by cutting about 1/16 on the bottom of the air filter tube then check if the notched inner bead sits snug on the carb. I do not think I cut more than an 1/8 of an inch.

Cool, thanks guys, i will have to order one. I would have liked to used to cyclone filter i got but if its going to do damage....

Anther problem, the picco don't fit on my motor mount, the mount is about 2mm too narrow. Anyone have a suggestion for a mount they know fits the picco. I could dremmel the mount but I'm not sure if it would weaken it too much??

Also, i talked to xl about this and he mentioned the FLM servo mount, but does any one know what mount fit on the PRC mid tank plate? Would like to use the holes on the plate before having to drill another hole in the tvp. I have msged larson about this, but just seeing if anyone else knew. Thanks guys

all u need to do is get a set of fliles and ake as little of the motor mount off as possable

Well, i managed to get a fair bit done on the savvy in the past week, just haven't had time to post pics.

I started to install the rear and did a mock up of the mid tank with parts that i have. Still waiting for steering upgrade, have to make some mounts for the steering servo.

stage_3.JPG

mid_tank21.JPG
mid_31.JPG

The RPM arms came in during the week. I stripped the old arms off and fitted the RPM ones. During this, i also decided to install the sway bar kit. But upon installing the sway bar i realised that the RPM arms don't have a spot to attach the sway bay. So out came the file....

RPM_MOD.JPG

Oncei filed out enought for the sway bar link, i made a flat spot on the other side so the screw can sit flush

RPM_MOD_1.JPG
RPM_MOD_2.JPG

Now they work no problems.....

I made up the wing mount (Hot bodies Lightning) and attached the traxxas wing. Mounted to PRC wing mount, but yet to be attached to the car.

DSC_2093.JPG

Also the shocks came in during this week, adding to list list of things that need to be built....

SHOCK_1.JPG
SHOCK_2.JPG

The steering upgrade and baja steering link arrived a day later

STEERING_MOD_2.JPG
STEERING_MOD.JPG

I thought i had pics of how i had to mod the motor mount. I will retake and post when i get the chance.

This is what she looks like 2 days ago. I have done a little more, but will have to take some more pics next time i go out to the shed.

DSC_2097.JPG

Parts I'm still waiting on: Hpi Suspension Kit, clutch bell, motorsaver filter.

Enjoy :happy:

Well here is some more pics of where I'm at. Everything is basically done except I'm waiting for motosaver filter, hpi suspension, and a clutch bell.
Also, I'm thinking of changing the battery box and finding something a bit bigger to fit the receiver in too. Maybe a CEN if i can find one that ships over here at a reasonable price.
There are a few screws that need swapping out when the new ones come in. Here are the pics anyway.

Here is my throttle linkage, i still need one of the blue linkage things as one of them came stripped in the packet
tb_servo_2_.JPG
tb_servo.JPG

back_2.JPG

back-wing.JPG

back.JPG

I would also like to get a set of flux axles to shorten the width a bit
nova_hex_ext.JPG
Steering_servo_mounts.JPG

Back_wing.JPG

Battery_box_mount.JPG
Nearly.JPG

Final.JPG
DSC_2145.JPG

dsc-2145.JPG

Unreal truck Ryan. I like that a lot. i agree that its a little too wide tho. bet your itching to take her out for the first run!

A few of the parts came in and i managed to get her going. haven't got much time but heres some pics. I will post more detailed pics and descriptions later. RCDriver were looking for pics of trucks so heres the pics i took of the xl and flux that i sent in.

Flux8.JPG

Flux_Lid_off.JPG

Savages_Lid_off.JPG

Nitro_Lid_off.JPG

Savages.JPG

Nitro.JPG

It was going to take 2 weeks to get FLM Servo mounts so i made my own up at work and yes, they bolt onto the tvp. I will take a pic of it and post it when i get home

Latest posts

Members online

Back