MSR8 shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X

Conspiracy of One
HPISF Staff
HPISF Supporter
I have been looking to get a set of these but Integy shows out of stock. I also looked on ebay but I only see the silver version. Does anyone know of a site that is selling the purple version and is in stock?

Thanks,

Eric

msr8

Yes Type is integy msr8 on ebay and scroll down to the bottom and you will see purple msr8 for savage and savage X. Integy Purple Heavy Duty MSR8 Shock Set Savage 25 X (8) (#200111305015)

Yes Type is integy msr8 on ebay and scroll down to the bottom and you will see purple msr8 for savage and savage X. Integy Purple Heavy Duty MSR8 Shock Set Savage 25 X (8) (#200111305015)

got it. I didn't think to look under the ebay stores. Thanks!

quick question. the MSR8 shock are supposed to be an upgrade from the MSR5 shocks right? why is the MSR5 shocks more expensive?

the MSR5 have the ribbed oil resivors and the MSR8s do not. Other than that they are the upgrade.

If you haven't ordered them yet, shoot me a PM, I'll get you a better price.
I tried to get them through ]-[0pa]0ng but got no response so I ended up grabbing them off the ebay sale shown above. I think I got a decent price for them, $105. Thanks anyway.

Hey let me know how the fit is. Does it hit any of your A Arms. and do the springs rub and end up getting bent and out of shape.. if so let me know Ive found a way to lean them back just so that you have full shock movement with out hitting anything......well lets just say I think its better. just thought I would tell you..... Ive got them on my truck..But I only run one shock per tire.I like the way It turns with one wheel off the ground. plus at 3/4 throttle the truck can skid when I turn and not flip over... Then suspention is loose just to the point of good flex. Handles good air too.

I have been contemplating these shocks too, so I am interested in the fit and reliability. Also if you run one per like you say, what spring oil combo are you using?

I just received the MSR8s and installed them on the truck. First impressions are that they look great but they are a really tight fit and are much firmer than the stock setup. I will give them a good bashing and get back to you guys on how they do!

Yes, You did find away to get 4 of them in, Mr. Savagecre. I would susspect that others here will expect to install the whole 8 pack. Just like I wanted... Is this correct anybody?... It's not that they can't be installed. It's more like, do you want to run them with the springs butted up against the A-arms and turnbuckles. Yea, they'll fit... barely. I would say, not desirable. In fact, to be honest, The 4 that I'm running now could stand a part or two thats more reliable than what's on there now. And make no mistake, CRE and I are able to get whats nessessary outside of whats laying around the workshop. Hopefully by now, there should be aftermarket support for these things If there going to be taken seriously. I still like the shocks for what they are, mind you. just be aware of the this issue with the free movement conserns. And this way, you won't be supprized like I was. If you want to see what savagecre was reffering to on his mounting hardware, then check out my gallery pics and brouse. The remaining 4 vacant shock locations on my truck are the one's that face the most restrictive fit, compared to the other positions. That's why I elected to split up the set with bud, and let my initial disapointment simmer-down abit by getting half my cash back. Other than that,... The shocks are nice and beef, able to support a savage with overkill in the tension dept. At least that's the tension of the set I got...Silver. Very stiff. With all 8 shocks installed, the truck's susspension is fully extended. Almost too stiff. I guess it's all a matter of prefference. The springs are great for big air. That is why these shocks are an upgraded from the MSR-5's, to begin with. I will say this... If I hadn't had a buddy that wanted to split the set with me, I would have had to search out who makes, or is going to make, the mounting hardware and purchase the kit to address my conserns on free movement. That's if I was lucky.....Hopefully, there are some options now. I would start with IRC, first. So, be prepared for some extra cost on the shocks tab If you think you might feel as I do. Or, you can just use 4 like I am now, and sell the others to someone that wants them. Just my opinion. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anybody wants to sell 4 of the MSR8's, just let me know.... I've been looking into buying these, but I only want to run 4 of them. That seems to be the best setup according to most of the guys who run them.

This, I can believe. I'm thinking seriously about doing just that. If I, were to be selling my shocks, What are you willing to provide for them? If your truely interested, I would provide the shocks in question, and all of the associated parts that mount them, as you may view, in my gallery pics. I will also include, 4 brand new, Integy replacement shafts, that I bought for backup parts. There's also, two sets of damper discs that came with the set, upon my purchase. I will also, rebuild each shock body, and replace the damper oil with new. They will be ready to install, upon thier arrival to you...I don't think it gets much better than that.

i

What did you have in mind? I have a ton of Stock parts sitting around, TVP's, Radio, Nitro Star 25, Rotostart, Wheels & Tires, etc... or if you have a Price in Mind. Just let me know.

Let me gather things up that should be considered part of the offer and determine a firm asking price. This may take up to 12 -24 hours. I hope that's OK for you. At this point, You are wecome to PM me at any time, if you wish. Thanks for your patients, Memnoch.

No problem at all, just let me know what you had in mind. BTW, I also have a set of Brand New Wheels and Tires for a OFNA Dominator (17mm hub). They are 3 spoke white Wheels with HOBOA Racing tires, never ran if you're interested. Thanks.

OK, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the quick response. I'll be in touch soon. One thing to consider. There was a need, to replace all of the upper shock bolts, with thicker and longer ones, due to a weakness in Integy's hardware. The new hardware, supports the creatation of standoffs, (those brass spacers on the upper shock mounts) and allows for the shocks to mount more to Savagecre's expectations. Not to mention, the addition of better nylon sleeves, to protect the shock caps mount hole. These holes, had to be slightly enlarged to accomodate the sleeves. Unless the bolts are absent, the inlargement of these holes is non-detectable. Well worth the inlargement, in my opinion. There are signs of scrapage on the tops of the shocks. This occured before I installed the diamond plate guards. The scrapes can be removed by sanding and polishing, if you wish. These scrapes cause no decrease in proformance or harm the structural design. I personally, have simlpy used a purple highlighting pen on the scrapes and find them very un-noticable. I thought it wise to inform you of these bits of additional info, so there's no supprises upon delivery...OK If there's a re-consideration at this stage, please PM me. click my name, and then click, send private mesage, OK. talk soon

Doob, I have a set of MSR8 for my savage also. You said that you were only running with 4 shocks, are you racing or are you bashing? Also, what weight shock oil are you using? I haven't filled mine yet, I'm waiting til I start my major rebuild/upgrade/xtreme modifications(which I'll be starting a thread in Member's Project).

The guy who started the whole crazy of the MSR8 shocks is an extreme basher. He started off with 8 then down to 4 and I think he's running 25 or 35 weight oil. He too sold off 4 of the ones he had to a buddy. When it comes to bashing I take this guys word for it. He has a few vids out as well. He's located in CA.

Doob, I have a set of MSR8 for my savage also. You said that you were only running with 4 shocks, are you racing or are you bashing? Also, what weight shock oil are you using? I haven't filled mine yet, I'm waiting til I start my major rebuild/upgrade/xtreme modifications(which I'll be starting a thread in Member's Project).
Hey, xtremsavage, When I first got my set , and unknowing of any conserns, I filled all of the shocks with trinity 20 wt. as directed in the instructions. The insructions indicate that you should not exceed 20 wt. With that being said, I maintained the 20 wt. on the split pack. Even though it might seem reasonable to bump up the wt. thickness, in a 4 shock sinario, Your still would be dis-regarding the factory guidelines to follow thier directions. By attempting to make up the difference between having 1/2 as many shocks onboard, as normally available, and proceeding to increasing the wt. thickness, will likely lead to rupturing the seals, if not bend the shafts. Just in my opinion. of course, I say this, based on the intention, of extreme use.
And Yes, a I'm a basher at heart, I really enjoy see what kaos my little Public Offender, Spazz Truck will do next... but, I've been drag racing with my bro lately who has a savage also. This always seems to lead to repairs(for my bud,lol) and in some cases, PROPERTY DAMAGE!....Yep... Ya just haven't lived, until ya have ta pay some pissed-off, claim-adjusting, pressure case, civilian, all your hard-earned cash, equaling what it costs to buy your truck, extra parts, extra busted parts, radio, ect,ect,ect.

No problem at all, just let me know what you had in mind. BTW, I also have a set of Brand New Wheels and Tires for a OFNA Dominator (17mm hub). They are 3 spoke white Wheels with HOBOA Racing tires, never ran if you're interested. Thanks.
Memnoch, I just sent a PM intended for you but, went to savagexss. That message contains an appology for having to cancel this shock deal...I'M VERY SORRY ABOUT THIS. Savagecre, the owner of the other half of this set has spoken up, and by agreeded buyout rights, he wants the shocks......****! I'm sorry guy. This could have been avioded if I had contacted him first. I sincerly hope you can forget about this possible disappointment and call it a simple oversight on my part. If there are any changes in my friends position ,you will be the first to get the same shocks at the same price as him, $75+ shipping. Again, I'M totally sorry bro, for any inconvieneints this may have gennerated. sincerly Doobeewha

Doobeewha, don't worry about it. I am interested in getting some of them, I just guess I'll need to keep on looking. Thanks anyway.

I finally took my new set of MSR8s out for bashing today. In many ways i think they perform fantastic, but when I hit bumps in the ground sometimes you can tell just how stiff the setup is. On big jumps that used to bottom out the stock suspension the MSR8s take with ease. Also the stiffer suspension seems to help manuverability (braking,steering). I currently run all 8 shocks with 20wt oil. I am thinking of going to only 4 though.

If I hear of any one who wants to split a pack, i'll reffer them to you. You can also call on me anytime, if you want some info, insight on the shocks, or just general chat, I'd be happy to haer from you, Memnoch.

That's really cool, SavXSS. Evaluating these shocks from your point of view is what this product needed for a different take on it. What was the terain like on the testing grounds? What type of ramps? What were the landing conditions like?...grass, hard pack, concrete,? With a full set of 8 onboard, I'd reccommended 2 degree(or more) camber stance, on all 4's. This is the way to go on big air. The camber setup, helps against top-heay rollover in sharp turns. These springs are the backbone, for the MSR-8's strength. They say a great Hop-up..."is designed to do one thing, and one thing only", and in this case, that means it JUMPS! The first company that can develope a good set of stand off's which include a Quick Mount shock system that can Lock & Release the shock effectively, will have done well for this shock set. That would allow for the best of both worlds. As your most likely aware of, when wrenching on the Savage, there's nothing on the truck that happens quickly.... Just imagine, in a instant, you can change a setup for the exact conditions, you peffer. "Basher Bliss." The 4 shock application exploits the handling and proformance dept. As the the lower CG, cradle's the chasis, with an adjustable shock body setup, the damping movement eats up bash terain, better than the stock shocks by far. Although, you can really benifit, from a softer set of springs at times. Even with a 1/2 set, the silver springs are the "extra heavy duty's". With the 4 pack, you'll be able to hookup on the cornnering, as it rips into a turn. All this, without the stiff springed, 8 pack rollover factor, slowing you down. This one was for you, for Hop.

I will find out from Integy when they expect to have the MSR8 shocks back in stock.

Our cost for any member for 8 is $105 plus shipping. Silver or purple.

Hey hop, sounds like a killer deal .... I'll keep it in mind. and thanks for the heads up. the silver ones are steam'in

That's really cool, SavXSS. Evaluating these shocks from your point of view is what this product needed for a different take on it. What was the terain like on the testing grounds? What type of ramps? What were the landing conditions like?...grass, hard pack, concrete,? With a full set of 8 onboard, I'd reccommended 2 degree(or more) camber stance, on all 4's. This is the way to go on big air. The camber setup, helps against top-heay rollover in sharp turns.

Mostly driving on grass and hard packed sand. Most of the jumps were done on deep ditch embankments. Can you explain the camber a little further, how to adjust and what not? The stiffness also seems to help quite a bit with doing long controled wheelies. I get it up in the air and keep it at 1/4 throttle and I can get it to go all day!

Hey thanks savageXss, I, without asking, would have never been aware of your terain conditions. Thanks for these additional details. Everything helps when it come to hearing about a driver tested evaluation report. As far as camber setup is conserned. HPI included a full set of adjustable upper A-arns with my SS 4.6 Kit version Savage. This allowed me to adjust wheeel camber on all 4 wheels.( If you can picture a top view, looking down at your truck, Camber is: The distance of the a wheels top/center from the exact center (middlepoint) of the chassis. By adjusting the upper A-arms length, you can effectively angle the wheels top. An inward adjustment towards the frame, cambers the top of the wheel inwardly. This provides more stabillity, and also creates a slight lowering of your CG(center of Gravity). It's application can complement an aggressive toe-in setup for steering, as well. In most cases, it's used for gripping in turns, while reducing top-heavy swayage.(for lack of a better term, lol) It's like getting the benifits of stablizer bars without the ridgid stiffness the bars are used for. From my experience, having an inward camber setup, really helps to keep the truck from getting too top heavy due to a fully extended susspension.( i e having eight MSR 8's as apposed to four.) If camber is too much of a pain you to toy with, you can get sone pre-set upper A-arme from RPM. They are packaged with the lower a-arm also. So, if you want all four, it will cost some. They have them in 0-2 degree lengths for the upper A-arms and are the strongest I've seen to date. I haven't gained any confidence in any of the adjustable alloy upper A-arms out there. They all break or bend way too easily. BUYER BEWARE.

Latest posts

Members online

Back