More pwr fr stock hpi s25

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to try to mod mine 25 when i get the lrp

Maybe a little late, but I just joined this board so forgive me. hehe

I wrote up my own article based off of that S-25 porting guide...pictures included. Here it is guys. PM me if you want the Word doc.

Here we go with the specs...

The sleeve first:

Brass coated with chrome...easy to grind.

For 160-degree duration raise the top of the exhaust port .012". The top of the port will be ~.530" from the top edge of the sleeve.

For 165-degree duration raise the top of the exhaust port .025". The top of the port will be ~.517" from the top edge of the sleeve.

For 170-degree duration raise the top of the exhaust port .035". The top of the port will be ~.507" from the top edge of the sleeve.

It should be noted that if you go for 170 degrees, then grinding will need to happen on the roof of the exhaust port of the block/case. At this point the port is larger than the opening in the block.

Flow grooves on the transfer ports:

Each transfer port will receive a groove running from the *inner* corner of the transfer port to the bottom of the sleeve angled towards the exhaust port (check the picture)...this is viewed with the exhaust port facing you. It's important to match the blocks' internal angles so this is how to do it. Mark a line on the inner side of each port (nearest the exhaust port) straight down to the bottom of the sleeve. From that line, mark another .220" inward again towards the exhaust port. From this inner line to the inner edge of the transfer port will give you your proper angle. Sounds hard, but is really quite easy. Again reference the pictures.

63685a00.jpg

7e04ed21.jpg

Bevel on bottoms of boost ports:

Can't put this into words really...check the picture.

24e9615b.jpg

Piston skirt notch:

Aluminum part and easy to grind. .540 x .375 is certainly not right...so I'm going with .540 x .175 which will suffice. This is just to clear some room for flow at BDC. Check the picture. You want to center your notch at the wrist pin. Don't get it skewed to one side or the other.

15dc90dc.jpg

5894fb24.jpg

e17b307c.jpg

Con-rod knife edging

Aluminum part and easy to grind. Simply put...grind a sharp edge on the connecting rod. Most of the work is already done, so why not finish the job?! Follow the angle already cut into the rod.

4e8bdc2e.jpg

Crank timing

This was the hardest for me because there's no good picture to show exactly what to cut! So I just stuck the crank back into the motor housing and rotated the crank to see what was going on. Easy enough, but unlike the other pieces the crank is made of steel and is much harder to grind. You'll need a sharp bit for this part. Again the picture is worth 1000 words.

Remove .098" from the leading edge of the port to increase timing to 210 degrees. Also, smooth out any rough edges you may find inside the port. A mirror finish is *not* needed, but certainly helpful if you wish to spend the extra time. These pictures are un-finished and not polished yet.

8b235b80.jpg

4e92c9f4.jpg

ee9b608a.jpg

Lastly:

Head shims. The (3) shims create excessive clearance. Removing 1 or 2 shims (make sure and check this), will increase compression. If you burn up glow plugs quickly, then replace 1 shim at a time.

+Rep to the new guy for an AWESOME right-up...very well done, and I have to agree...pictures ARE worth a thousand words!!

WOW dude you milled that mill .. How did it run for ya

Thanks man

The thing screamed on top-end. I grew up under a rail with a SBC so I just *loved* the sound of that thing making such RPM's. It really did roll man!

I never got to try it with an 086 or similar pipe so it had more I know it...

+Rep to the new guy for an AWESOME right-up...very well done, and I have to agree...pictures ARE worth a thousand words!!

Thanks man!

I should note this was my mock-up job...these were the piston/sleeve I had to damage to remove.

The crank was also unfinished at this point, and for some reason never took pics of the new finished pieces. :duh:

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online

Back