Modding Axial .28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$

$turg

Hello all.

I am new to this forum. I have been into R/C for over 15 years. I got my start back in the days of the subaru brats and frogs and hornets. I still have my original Jammin jay Hasley R/C 10 :)

Ok getting back to my piont. I have modded some engines mostly 2.5 trx engines for people. On those engines some modding made a difference. On the newer engines such as the axial .28 with the grey head, Is it even worthwhile anymore? I have read the threads about modding engines, however in my experience over time even the best modder will tell you that it will lesson the life of the engine to some degree. Another thing I am finding out is people are not retunning correctly. Even after modding a engine you should go back to factory break in settings and start over. You need to be aware of proper plug temp ratings mostly on modded engines medium to cold plugs because of the tempeture increase from the modding.

Also When you recieve a modded engine it is always a good idea to tear it back down re lube eveything and clean it. Then make sure to reseal the entire engine with a god quality copper sealer.

Ok now as most of you know this about covers the modding, But with all that done when you go to a colder plug higher nitro content and run richer to keeps things running cool to last longer your overall gains on the engine wil be nominal. That is if you want to keep it for ay length of time. So in that case for someone bashing is it even a worthwhile exspendeture of 100.00 to send it out?

I guess the reason I am saying all of this is I keep getting gruff from people asking me why i am against the modding of engines? The answer is I am not against it for the purpose of racing and knowing after about 2 to 3 gallons it will become paper weight. For those bashing and trying to have fun with the hoby why bother?

So if someone can come up with a good reason or if these new engines can handle things better please let me know.

Thanks for your input and happy thrashing! :jamout:

Most engine's will last much longer than 2-3 gallons after being modded correctly. There is some drastic improvements that can be made on many of these mills especially the Axles as they are a low end or sport mill. Also most of the time the Modded mills will run cooler.

I completely agree with the retuning of a modded mill as they will be completely different and I typically do a quick break-in on and fresh modded mill if its been broken in before. If its a fresh mill which has been modded it will require a complete break-in. A quality Copper sealant is not the best to seal with as it is not nitro proof. The best sealant is a tripplebond or more known as 1211 sealant sometimes also known as Hondsbond or yamabond or whatever other names you can get it as. This sealant is strong as nails and is nitro proof over any RTV product.

A modded mill may not be for the bashers out there just to have fun and not to try to get as much performance as possible but many like me I will never have enough power.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum and thanks for your opinion and i'm sure your not a loaner on your opinion. Were looking forward to seeing you around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input I was just curious on peoples takes of things. I look forward to being part of this forum.

Well Larson said about all that came to mind reading this. but Ill still leave a post + 1 with larsons temp comment

IMO sport mills and TRX mills are prone to fail out the box and why you may have seen 2-3 gal runs after modding. Rule of thumb if the mod costs more than the mill does don't touch it... Novarossi's Piccos and such can and do run 7ish+ gals after modding user/modder depending. Sport mills need 40-80 bucks just in bearings to take a mod.
I tune every day some time 3 times a day depending on the temps of the day. But never return to stock settings. LSN is the only thing I return to stock. Generally HSN is stock plus a turn to start just to run.

3 modded mills in my shed :
Picco .28 drag mod by Purenitro (Robin) of this site. http://www.extremercmods.com/
Novarossi N528XRP by JPracing of Italy
LRP spec 3 by myself

welcome33.gif
to the forum. Thanks for the thread and hope to see more of ya!!

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the forum my friend!!! were all glad to have your rc experience here with us!!

Thanks everyone

Thanks to all of you welcoming me to the forum and thanks for your input on the mills. I look forward to talking to you all and learning from you as well as maybe teaching some things as well.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Members online

Back