Mikey's Build 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike#18

Ok ! Lets do this ! I've been around the forum for 4 years, although not much in the last few years, I'm sure most of the older members remember me, maybe. I started building this Savage 3 years or so ago and things got in the way, mostly life. Haha, So I'm going to try and actually have a functional truck this time a round. Plans for this truck are to be bashed and jumped very hard, fast and long ! From my original direction of the truck some things have changed, most has stayed the same. So lets begin !

The base....Mostly FLM stuff I have no pic of the following as everyone should know what they look like haha

Extended and LCG TVP's
Extended skid plate
Light weight motor plate
Hybrid Bulks with BP diffs and SHD dog bones
and a HPI RSC

Power Distribution will be handled by a Flux 3 speed and braking handled by the dual disc set-up HPI sells. Clearly by the dust on the hpisf.com sticker I've been around HAHA

Rims and tires, so far I've got a set of axial 40 Series beadlocks and have been searching for a set of moabs or trenchers for a deacent buck but no luck yet. Although I will be picking up a set of 3.2 series Crime Fighters on rims

Electronics

This is my problem area, along with tuning. So far I'm running the Hi-tec 645mg on the throttle/brake duties and a yet to be bought savox 1256tg doing the directional duties. Still not sure what to run for a rx/tx, truck hump pack if i need a failsafe or not yadda, yadda.

Random Tid-bits

OFNA trottle/brake mod
Mugen 150cc mid tank mod
Carbon fiber hump pack mount

And a throw back for the older active members. Does anyone recognize this ? It matches my front bumper !

Looks like you have a decent start on making a stout rig, keep them pics coming....

Thanks Jam !

Bit of an update today, put a few hours in on assembly after returning from the LHS. I did a brief "dry run" assembly to see how everything was gunna work and ran into a issue with rims and tires i picked up today and the relocated throttle/braking servo and the engine mount.

How it looks partially assembled

So after some disassembly and a food break I got back at it. I had an issue with the servo wanting the same space my engine mount was using. I'm not sure what make the mount is but it has an extra wide base with cooling fins. It came with the motor when I bought it but the fins outlined were the issue.

It also had a stripped screw hole, so before I modified it, I decided it need to be fixed. It had threaded holes all the way thru the mount, so I counter sink the bottom of the mount and installed and long machine screw, basically making a stud. Fixed. Moving on now. I decided, since I don't have a stock mount that most of the fins were not needed. This is were the cut off wheel enters. After some patience and luck I had the mount modded and the servo clearing, I did however have to shim the servo up by 3mm to get it to clear.

What's everyone think of servo to mount clearance ? Will heat be an issue for the servo hear ?

This is were I decided to end the night, more to come with another stop to the LHS, I can see this being a weekly trip haha

Last edited:
Build looks to be coming along nicely.

I need to see about getting the logo in a nice printable format so I can get new decals made for everyone!

Looks nice! I'll be following in your footsteps shortly!

As for the servo, I think it will be fine, although a dab of dielectric grease wouldn't hurt if it truly concerns you. Although that will attract dirt

Thank JR yeah the more i look at it the more I"m ok with it. If it happens to affect it I will address that when it happens.

Bit of an update though, Thru A-Mains CyberMonday deals and there already discounted price and combo on the Specktrum Dx4c, I was able to pick one up with 2 sr410 rx for 75 bucks
:whoo:

Thanks ! I still haven't gotten around to pick up my radio which is a big hold back.

Well, Ive been lacking in the updates depart ent and I will use the excuse of the holiday season to cover my bacon.

I haven't gotten much done. Mounted my mugen fuel tank.
Since the mugen tank has a "sumped" bottom and the stock mugen mounts won't work with my FLM servo plate I had to make my own. Few nylon washers, some 3mm bolts and some brass 5/32 tubing fixed this issue ! I have some o-rings in the mail to help dampen the tank more.

Next I ran some fuel line and mocked up the pipe. I haven't put anything in there solidly yet as I am waiting on a steering servo. I'm waiting on the servo as I'm not sure what servo I'm running yet

Anyone see an issue with the fuel line routing ?

Last edited:
i would keep the fuel line away from rotating parts for sure, maybe loosely ziptie it to the chassis plate, also try not to put too sharp bends in it.....

Yes it is tied to the tvp, by the bell/spur gears. I don't need to out a loop or anything in it ? I also have a fuel filter to out inline. Maybe I should run it in the outside the whole distance ?

well 1 thing I see right off is I would loosen the fuel inlet banjo bolt and rotate the inlet nipple inline with the engine , that would eliminate one fuel line bend....

It looks like you can rotate the banjo fitting to point to the "drivers" side of the truck, then run the feed line along that TVP

Also, the longer your feed line, the longer it will stay running on it's lid ;-)

Finally picked up my package from a-main that has been patiently waiting for me south of the border .

Got some work done on it tonight.
Mounted up my RPM box, antenna and receiver. Bound the rx and tx, rerouted some wires. Tomorrow's chore. WORK on making linkages !

Little side note * this rpm rx boxes fastener holes lines up perfectly with the servo mounts holes !

Also swung that fitting on the carb parallel to the tvp Jam and JR

Last edited:
Quik little update;
Fired the picco up from a 4yr sleep for the first time today ! First time I've had it running since I bought it from 88gtanotchback. Sounds wicked with the macs marine pipe I have on it. Now I'm only a steering servo away from a toot arcoss the lawn !

Latest posts

Members online

Back