Mid Tank Solution?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanos

I was looking at another savage site and came across this idea: in order to avoid mid-tank problems, make a second huel feed line. This line is supposed to be at the bottom of the tank and at the opposite side from the existing one. Does anybody know about that? Have you tried it? If it does the job, it seems mutch more easy and cheap to do. All you need is a nipple, a T-connection, filter and some fuel line!
Thanks,
Thanos

There are many ideas out there to fix the mid tank lean issue each with varying degrees of effectiveness. Try it if it works great let us know if not you just need a new tank and I am sure someone here has one laying around I have one I could give you but it is used and a little dirty.

I was looking at another savage site and came across this idea: in order to avoid mid-tank problems, make a second huel feed line. This line is supposed to be at the bottom of the tank and at the opposite side from the existing one. Does anybody know about that? Have you tried it? If it does the job, it seems mutch more easy and cheap to do. All you need is a nipple, a T-connection, filter and some fuel line!
Thanks,
Thanos

Thanos, if you try this, post some pics and let us know. ive never seen this done & wonder if the results will be good. 1/2 tank lean was a major problem on my X 4.6rtr.

I'm curious what is meant my "avoid mid-tank problems," gotta say ive seen too many fuel tanks get busted mounted in the stock location.

I tried this mod: cut a piece tubbing from inside of bic ball point pen about 1/2" long (the part that holds the ink) stick into the small hole on bottom of fuel tank lid, cut a piece of fuel tubbing that will reach the bottom of the tank when lid is closed and slide fuel tubbing over pen tubbing. Works good for the mid tank lean problem, only problem is that if don't run all the fuel out of the tank the pressure left in the tank will do 2 things: 1. Flood engine 2. Fuel will back up into pipe.

Thanks guys! Engine flud, I wouldn't mind. I could burn exess fuel if it ever happens. But fuel inside the pipe? Is that OK? Do you just drain it or does it harm the pipe?
Thank you,
Thanos

It gets fuel in it anyway under normal running but it gets blown out. The trick is to unhook your fuel pressure line so that gravity does not siphon it back towards the pipe. I actually looped my pressure line around the narrow part of my body post in the front a couple of times and it was just enough height above the fuel tank to where it would only siphon a couple inches into the line and then stop and never really go any further unless I tilted the truck forward. There is a good vid of this on youtube by username stellarrc. Search for "Uniflow Tank Mod".

Here:

part 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj0f1p9KneU

part 2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWvpjIN89Jo

That mod did seem to get rid of the HTL somewhat but not completely for me. However I started having an elusive stalling problem where I could run my truck just fine but it would stall when I let off the throttle too suddenly. The only way I stopped this was to richen up my LSN but then I did not have very good throttle response. I'm going to try this mod with only the long pressure line and take out the piece in the tank and see if that changes anything. I never really understood the point of the line inside the tank anyway. It doen't seem like it would affect the pressure, but the long pressure line could so I'm gonna try it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried a similar mod, with a nipple in the lower front of the tank, split the pressure line and put a t fitting so pressure would go to the bottom and top of tank, and a one way valve between the pipe and t, to stop fuel from going to the pipe. The result of this was too much pressure where fuel would pour out the pipe as I was pulling the pull start. So I have taken out the t fitting, plugged the inlet on the tank cap and have the pressure line feeding into the front bottom of the tank. I will let you know the result.

well i had the same result with and without the one way valve and the pressure line on the new nipple installed on the lower front of the tank. So I'm back to square one, I had it mid tanked but just installed reverse and the stock tank back in.

Just mid tank it. you can do a old school mid tank in the RX box cheap.. its worth it to never break another tank alone.

Latest posts

Members online

Back