Mid tank mod on the cheap/The return of Nut!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcaircraftnut

First let me say I am happy to be back. Lots of new faces here so bear with me.
On to the info. First I took a stock radio box from a savage 25, cut the throttle servo mount out of it and retain it for later use. This will allow you to cut out a plate to mount on the top of the radio box to hold the new tank. Remove the stock fuel tank mounts and cut them down to use on the plate up front to mount the new tank. Or buy some if you prefer to spend money and wait on parts to come in.
Once you get the new tank installed it should look like this.20180207_202418.jpg 20180207_204633.jpg

Reactions: X
Then take the mount you cut out of the stock radio box and useing scrap nylon, I used an old servo wheel, make spacers or a plate to allow you to mount it in the chassis using the old holes from the stock fuel tank mounts. Use the stock throttle and brake lonkage with the addition of a model aircraft wheel collar and a spring from a ball point pen cut and stretched to suit. Cut the throttle rod and make a new z bend in it. Keep the brake rod stock. It should look like this.20180207_234525.jpg

Then route and secure the wires, mount the rx box, mine also houses a bec and switch, install a battery, mine is a 2 cell li ion that fits in the stock location under the new fuel tank. Looks like this now. 20180208_025622.jpg

Last edited:
Just had to steal the badlands off my trashmaxx. They are indeed my altime favorite tire for a basher that never sees pavement/concrete. Now I jist need a new body for it.

Always love to see someone do some good old fashion building on the cheap! Nice Job!

Welcome back, btw.

Hopefully I will get it out and get it running today. hasn't ran in a couple years. Lol. Pretty gummed up in the engine.

If anyone is interested I may be willing to make up a few more of the roll cages as shown in my avi. I am going to make one for this truck after I get the FLM LCG TVP set for it. I unfortunatly sold the prototype but I never did break it. Not for lack of tryin either. Lol.

Just took it outside and after a little flooding fiasco it fired rite up. Ran the same as it always did with a full tank. Didnt even need to touch the needles. It did however lose tention on the slipper. For some reasom the nut backed off. Going to replace it and try some locktite. Saved the spur gear as I got it shut down quick enough. Cant wait to see if it runs and holds a setting past half tank for the first time ever. I have just always added fuel at or before half tank and lived with it. No more! Lol.

This is what I was taking a break from to work on the Savvy. Ran outa glue lol. Got it to the final sanding point this eve. Still need to fiberglass the hull after sanding then paint. But from box to what you see is 4 evenings work. 20180208_214046.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back