mid tank mod for 0-20$!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnut14

I give bad advice
well, I finally got a mid tank mod done. here's what I did...
first, I took out the radio box,

and modded it. first with a cutoff wheel(dremel)

then witht he sanding disc (also on a dremel)

next, time to mount the servo...
and I bent the stock linkages, throttle,

and brake,

all set up..

my rx is open for now, will be getting a waterproof radio box soon...

back to the tank, here's the radio box mounted..

I modded the stock tank mounts and used them...

all done! any questions, feel free to ask!!!!

Reactions: Gav
Hay nut! Great ingenuity ya got going on there... Do you have any plans to mount the T/B servo more permernant. Or just run cable ties and hope for the best.

I could be wrong, but using the stock tank won't the HTL still be there. Cause it looks like it's sits the same hight as the stock position.

Let us know how it go's

Last edited:
as for the mount, i'm using zip ties for now, and if I have problems, i'll get a mount. I haven't bashed he truck yet, as i have to tune it first. i think the tank actually sits higher, so, i'm not sure if it will get rid of htl. we'll see. but i do get the better cg.

With the Center of gravity you have it backwards, lowering CG is to lower, but I'm sure you will work out the kinks.
Nut! Will the lid fit or are the posts all the way up?

I have a gmc topkick on it, wich is a VERY high lid. no, my mounts are halfway. what do u mean lowering the cg is lower?

HTL is caused by two things, atleast that is the going theory. The first is the position of the pick up compared to the carb, which you've taken care of. The second is the location of the pick up in the tank, which you haven't taken care of. If you have a few bucks it is still in your interest to swap to a better tank.

It's a cheap method to do this, so I can't fault you to much. Though in the future I expect you to clean it up a little, things like servo mounts are cheap. Also the wood screw holding the throttle arm made me cringe a little.

haha the wood screw was the previous owners work. I do want to get a mount, but I have 2 projects right now, this and the truggy.

Lowering the trucks CG is what you should be after. Like most mid tank mods it gets as much weight as possible as low as possible in side the TVP,s, an use buggy or truggy tanks. Putting the tank as high as you have you added hight to the CG.

HTL is caused by two things, atleast that is the going theory. The first is the position of the pick up compared to the carb, which you've taken care of. The second is the location of the pick up in the tank, which you haven't taken care of. If you have a few bucks it is still in your interest to swap to a better tank.

It's a cheap method to do this, so I can't fault you to much. Though in the future I expect you to clean it up a little, things like servo mounts are cheap. Also the wood screw holding the throttle arm made me cringe a little.

X is spot on nut you get big thumbs up from me for a great effort. but just have to smooth out the ruff edges.

:eyes: Ofna has a couple tanks for buggy and truggy that will work.... I have my doubts the servo is going to stay put and not shift around it needs to be firmly attached to the chassis using some kinda mount....

The Hellfire's tank was always a popular tank, though it's discontinued now. So it may be hard to find.
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/87505

I would attempt to find something similar to that.

Lol, take one step away from the forum and everybody else answers..... I'm slow.

well, I guess i'll look around. my goal is to not have to take out the radio box. but for niw, i'll run my current setup, and when I have some extra cash, i'll look for a tank

The buggy you guys call the XTM rail has a very similar tank to the hellfire.
This is mine. only good pic of the tank it might work.image.jpg

one thing you better address is how that servo is mounted, I am positive it will shift around and mess up your throttle settings like idle and brake setting...... it needs to be mounted solid to the chassis plates.....

one thing you better address is how that servo is mounted, I am positive it will shift around and mess up your throttle settings like idle and brake setting...... it needs to be mounted solid to the chassis plates.....

Go to your local hardware store and get two small L brackets, the ones for hanging blinds in ya house. With a bit of trimming
And a few new holes in the TVP and go from there.

just ran it, got rid of the htl pretty well, servo doesn't shift much. I have the brakes set low( just enough that it stops, but not enough that it moves the servo) although I will get a servo mount soon.

just ran it, got rid of the htl pretty well, servo doesn't shift much. I have the brakes set low( just enough that it stops, but not enough that it moves the servo) although I will get a servo mount soon.
Sounds like a win for the NUT

Ok I have kept this to myself all morning and just have to post my thoughts
I ain't trying to be mean here I just think you get into a project like this and get in too big a hurry to finish....... a bit of time spent doing things usually gets better results....

One thing I see is you did this little project without first cleaning the truck... mounting things takes a clean surface for them to place right on the chassis... and some of your dremel work is kinda hack looking. a bit of time spent cleaning and trimming all those cuts would go a long way to a more professional looking job...

I would look into some servo mounts and a RC10GT radio box, RPM offers both these things at very little cost.....

Last edited:
Nice simple hack...but I guess the concern is how long will it last and how much hacking will need to be done in the future to improve this. I have a friend who used wood as servo mounts...but soaked them in CA first, then coated them with epoxy...kinda fuel proofing it. But down the line the wood began to crack and split due to forces from bashing.
I would mount the throttle servo a little more secure and what I like to do is stick a thin piece of EPP foam, or any soft foam to the servo side that will go up against any smooth surface. The foam allows for some grip and you can tighten up the cable ties more. If you have some Poly boards around you could even cut some small rectangles to make as servo holders and use tapping screws by pre-drilling them,
I initially did my mid tank mod with DIY L brackets over the electronics box and it worked and held up so far. But I never liked to raised up tank...so started on lowering it following the lines of an FLM type tank mod method.

My concern will be those cable ties holding the throttle/brake servo....under tension and some forces they can give way and snap, even from heat and humidity. Worse thing is when it happens it may jam your throttle at Full open if the servo falls off at a weird angle.
Just my thoughts!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back