Mid tank fabrication questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koiboy

Hi,
? I want to mid tank my savage. I have flm tvps. But over here in the uk no one stocks flm so have to get it from over the pond. But postage is so dam expensive so heres my idea.

-Use aluminium sheel to fabricate the tank base then use my old engine mount braces to support it. Will engine mount braces work?
-get bits like the tank, tank mounts steering servo linkage from inovative rc
-I have ansmann w3 2.4ghz reciver which is very small so may get away with fitting a hump pack and reciver all in one radio box. Any radio box ideas?

No for my next big idea to fabricate some servo mounts like the flm ones. Would this work? As I really don't want 2 pay 13$ postage on 4 little bits whihc weigh no more than 200g.

This is my idea

DSC00272.jpg

Sorry for the bad drawing but you get the rough idea of the shape

Now please could some one tell me the diementions of the flm ones base on the diagram listing them as per the letters please. Also what size screws are needed including the length. If some could do that for me I would be very great full.

So what do you think of my plans or am I being a total 'crack pot'. Any suggestions welcome

Thanks
Elliot

Thanks for the reply. I am just going to buy the innovative rc plate now as its cheaper than me fabing a tank plate. Just the servo mounts now. I wil go and look in the colleges scrap mental box lol. I am going to use the engine mount braces as I have some lingering around before after changing to the innovative rc engine plate. I also have bits of servo horns about for linkages and bits like that. I am, really exited about the build as it is quite creative :)

Creativity building servo mounts is good, can you keep us posted with pics as you go

Why not get the IRC servo mounts at the same time when you get the tank plate. All you may have to do (actually probably) is mod them to work with the FLM TVPs. You might even be able to use their full mid-tank kit with minor mods to it. Just a thought.

i built my own servo mounts for my mid tank.

a= width of servo
b= width of servo
c= i used 3mm
d= whatever you feel looks right

screw size was i believe 2mm but i might be wrong. its the same size as the bolt that holds the top of the shock on at 10 mm long. i tapped the holes in my servo mount so the screws threaded into them.

I Posted some info on my mid tank . the IRC stuff is good stuff and I agree you can order the mounts at the same time as your plate saves you on shipping .
I really like the radio /servo box he has cleans it right up no need for a box on the out side of the truck.
they can also supply you with the fuel tank anything else you may need for it.

Yes I will defiantly keep you posted with pictures. I can only see the rear servo mounts. Is this right or am I being blind lol.

Thanks for the measurement think i will go with 5mm thickness so I can get my 5mm tap down it.

Innovative rc has allot of good mid tank bits. I will be getting most of my parts from.

Ho do you edit posts on this forum. Cant seem to do it. After alittle more research and thought I might buy the whole innovative midtank kit. Does any one have any experience with fitting th steering/reciver box innovative rc do to inside flm tvps. If its only hole drilling I would be very happy :)

That should be the only thing you have to do with the IRC mid-tank kit to fit the FLM TVPs, but I'm not 100% sure. I've never ran or seen in person the FLM TVPs, but I do have the IRC mid-tank kit and TVP kit. The IRC Rx/ ST servo box is the same width as the bulkheads, so it should fit in between the FLM TVPs. And from my experience, the steering linkage that comes with the mid-tank kit is too short. I ended up goin to the LHS and finding a linkage from (dare I say it) Traxxas and trimming the ends down to the length I needed. Keep us posted and ask more ?s if need be.

you actually cant edit your posts but if you shoot a pm to anyone on staff here they will be happy to do it for you!!

I am just going to order the kit and then see how it goers. As rob said I can return the bits which don't fit. But hopefully a few holes here and there and it should fit.

Thanks Elliot

Latest posts

Members online

Back