Melted spur gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franger99

I have a savage with a lrp .28 spec 3. There is so much torque that the wheel hub melted and the spur gear melted in the middle ( where the spring go)

Which set up can i use to reduce the torque so it doesnt melt the parts.

Was the nut on the spur gear shaft tightened all the way down? If not, it may have been slipping enough to create the heat that meted it. I keep mine fully tightened...

Was the nut on the spur gear shaft tightened all the way down? If not, it may have been slipping enough to create the heat that meted it. I keep mine fully tightened...

yeah jeck, thats what I'm thinking happen also.

I knew to this hobby so i don't know much about it, i was told to tight the spur gear all the way and then back it up a full turn. And thats what i did.

My friend's xl metal spur gear stripped 2 bell gears before he changed it plastic. Do you think is a good idea to buy a metal spur gear

My friend's xl metal spur gear stripped 2 bell gears before he changed it plastic. Do you think is a good idea to buy a metal spur gear

yes. just make sure you get the vented, racing bell that i posted. the steel on the others is not hard enough and the spur will eat them up.

I would stick with the plastic spur gear, if your new to the hobby it's much cheaper to replace a $5 plastic gear if you don't get your mesh just right. If your mesh isn't right with a steel spur, you will have to replace both. I run some pretty hot engines and have ZERO issues with the plastic, just keep the nut good and tight and this won't happen again. No sense in wasting money until you get it all mastered imo.

I don't know, my LRP Z.28R spec 3 just chewed up a plastic spur running at the beach and I know how to set my gear mesh. Went back to the original steel gear.

Ithought you suppose to tighten it all the way and back it down 1/4 of a turn

I would stick with the plastic spur gear, if your new to the hobby it's much cheaper to replace a $5 plastic gear if you don't get your mesh just right. If your mesh isn't right with a steel spur, you will have to replace both. I run some pretty hot engines and have ZERO issues with the plastic, just keep the nut good and tight and this won't happen again. No sense in wasting money until you get it all mastered imo.

With HPI HD Spur you can sharpen a rock into a arrow head and not hurt it ... CB's not so much but I have all the spurs Ill ever need for any motor (the first HD i ever owned) 3 mills down still looks new even after it has been a sparkler a few times over with your motor. If you can hurt one w/o an angle grinder its time to find a new hobby ...

Ithought you suppose to tighten it all the way and back it down 1/4 of a turn

This is what HPI says in the book, yes. Its not what most of us do...

Latest posts

Members online

Back