mamba savage rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpinitromt

doing my nitro savage project gave me the itch to revamp my brushless savage, so now i have two savage projects, but this one is really just a rebuild, i will changing a couple of things
since I'm left with some nice older style aluminum parts, i decided to use them on this savage, it will be heavier but, the castle mamba and 3s lipos are more than up to the task

heres my stock hpi savage xl tvps, there pretty beat up but i sandblasted them and will be powder coating them

DSC02183.jpg

after sandblasting
DSC02188.jpg

i will be keeping the tranny that i did the single gear mod on, i beat the crap out of this tranny all last summer, never a hiccup
DSC02194.jpg

DSC02192.jpg

heres the kershaw motor mount..again not a problem with piece, kershaw makes some good stuff
DSC02153.jpg

thats it for now, i will post pics as build progresses

so, ive been busy in the shop, did some polishing and powdercoated the mystery tvps, i used "solar flat black"

i polished the cvds, well because....because i can..lol
DSC02206.jpg

heres the "mystery" tvps and an savage x motor plate
DSC02207.jpg

DSC02208.jpg

heres the old school savage bulkheads with savage x arms, hpi buleet proof diffs, hpi shd shafts, axles and diff output shafts
DSC02212.jpg

DSC02213.jpg

Think the CVD's will hold up to the power ?

they have so far, i beat the crap out of this setup last summer, the only thing i used to break were the rear dogbones, these cvds were in the front, and there very old, maybe 7 years? i ve used these in two other nitro savages over the years,
and that castle MMM setup is insane, the only place it is controlable, is in the sand, it digs right in and throws 4 ft roosters,I'm planning on getting some videos of the sandpit this spring, its a blast
fred suggested awhile back, that he wished i did a build thread on this truck, so he could see how i put it together
since i planned on rebuilding it, i figured i'd do a build thread on the truck

any suggestions or comments are always welcomed.....but remember, i know everything...or least my wife says i think i do

heres what it looked like this summer, i ran a different body though
DSC02153.jpg

DSC02154.jpg

plan on doing up a proline baja bug body for it this summer

Last edited by a moderator:
wow I'm impressed with the tvp work. projects comin together nicely. thx for sharin the pix.

hey bro ,in post #4 where did you get that aluminum bulk brace from? (with the HPI decal on it) ,i been looking for those. lmk thanks

thank you, its coming along well, should be drivable this weekend
those braces are about 6 years old
ive used them many times in builds
there from gpm, i bought them from the dinball store on ebay, i think hobbyetc.com has them too

http://hobbyetc.com/

wow I'm impressed with the tvp work. projects comin together nicely. thx for sharin the pix.

thanks freddy, i must say they came out good, i haven't powdered anything in awhile, i was thinking of doing my flm tvps black too, i don't about flat black though, maybe a semi-gloss

write off another rebuild! this truck basically stayed the same,except for the hitec 7955tg servo and a couple aluminum parts

ive never tried the castle link before, i guess i was having to much fun with truck to care but, since i was rebuilding i figured i would try it out and there is nothing cooler than hooking up your rc truck to a computer and tweaking stuff!
very formula1, i changed the punch control to make it a little easier to drive but it still is an animal, i added a little drag brake to slow it down some before getting on the brakes, i did plan on using mechanical brakes to cut down on heat and stress on the esc but didnt like the way it worked and setting up the channel mixing and getting it to work right was too much of a hassle, so i kept it simple, anyways, ill get some more pics up and hopefully some video of it in the sandpits, it never gets old throwing roost!

Members online

Back