Magoo's Mid-tank Mod (56K do not enter)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magoo

Rocking the dynamite 086!
[FONT=&quot]Well, this is kinda ironic in that now that I have the parts to do the FLM LCG EXT TVP Mid-tank mod (what a mouthful.) I see that everyone or what seems to be everyone is moving over to brushless. Well you prius drivers can have that eco-friendly super over powered, wait I am starting to talk myself into getting one. Ok, I will stop right there.
Anywho, I was lucky enough to purchase a full mid tank conversion from coby, a user on this site. (Thanks again!!!) The first thing I did when I took everything out of the box; was I slapped the TVPs onto some bulks that I had lying around. Man it looks great!

I will not bore you with step by step process as you will find many how-to's on this site for what I am doing. So here are some pictures of my beast from when I got her to now.

her first picture

DSC00090.JPG

When I got the Big Joe's.

DSC00027.JPG

When I got the Big Bore Shocks.

DSC00146.JPG

DSC00151.JPG

DSC00155.JPG

This is when I got the Maximizers and Badlands.

DSC00183.JPG

DSC00182.JPG

And the last picture with the stock TVPs

DSC00190.JPG

Her in pieces.

DSC00196.JPG

DSC00193.JPG

She is starting to come together!

DSC00202.JPG

DSC00203.JPG

It started getting late so I took some more pics this morning

DSC00211.JPG

[/FONT]My professional exhaust hanger wire. Gotta love coat hangers.

[FONT=&quot]
DSC00212.JPG
[/FONT]
DSC00216.JPG

I did not have time to do the electronics yet. I also had an issue with the T/B servo linkage not lining up with my mil so I will have to Macgyver something.

idk what the heck ur talkin about jeff, i have pretty much the same nitro truck as you now.

truck looks good tho, i like it.

It just seems there is a lot of brushless talk going on. Hehe. Max, the tank is a MGT 160cc. I don't know much about it as I bought it off coby. I noticed that the tank has a float valve and two fuel pickups. This is really cool as it will still pickup fuel when upside down!!! I have not tested it yet but the theory is sound.

Frddyj, are you building a separate truck or did you convert your beast? I was under the impression that you were converting it. That is why I was saying what I said.

Woah! It looks like my old mid tank... no, it can't be :p.

Looking good Magoo! Did you ever figure out how to setup the throttle servo?

Also, that rectangle hole on the RPM box is for your on-off switch. It might be too big or small, but my Hitec one w/ charging wire fit perfectly.

Edit: OH! I think I know what problem you are having with the T/B. I had my brake arm bent, so it went closer to the arm but still at neutral brakes. When the throttle servo pushes forward, the throttle should open. When it's pushed back, the slider should pull the brake rod. You can see the brake arm is kinda at an angle when at neutral, but I found that they didn't engage at all.
2koow7.png

5nq6uf.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice build Magoo!

Don't feel bad, I'm waaaaaay behind, still trying to save for my flm's :)

Looking good though bud

truck is looking good magoo. have you tried banks better throttle mod? if you havnt you should check it out just search banks threads. much cleaner looking setup and much better control

If you don't want the brakes to be near engaging like that, you can use a longer clevis rod on the brakes.

Over the weekend I spend a couple of hours redoing the Ofna linkage on my build. It was really a great day for it too. It was raining outside so I decided to go to the LHS and poke around for some ideas. I like the look of the metal clevis thingies that I have seen on some of the mid-tank mods that people have done. So I looked into picking up some of them. But come to find out that you have to sodder them to the shaft. so I just went and picked up a couple extra of the plastic version that can just screw on. I also picked up a better on/off switch that has a charge lead, rods to rework the linkage, and a SF-5 servo that they had in the parts bin. It was a great price, picked it up for $20. Here are a couple of picks of the linkage. tell me what you think. I have played with it and I am not getting any binding issues.

DSC00222.JPG

DSC00223.JPG

I need one more of the collars on the break rod but other than that it works great! At full throttle the break is vertical and the breaks are completely loose when the servo arm is in the neutral position.

weird, I guess they just didn't have them. But it is not that big of a deal. I will just keep an eye out for them.

weird, I guess they just didn't have them. But it is not that big of a deal. I will just keep an eye out for them.

you can get the clevis pins at H.F. theyre "great planes" and on the small rack behind the counter where they keep the hpi parts catalogue.

they sell the threaded rod there also for about $1/24"

Thanks Frddyj. I went to the store in Danvers. I am happy with the way the linkage turned out for now. Now I need to wait for a few more parts.

I forgot to mention! I had to modify my RPM box. Evidently it is not big enough to fit the stock receiver from HPI. so what I did was pull apart the receiver from HPI so I just had the antenna wire and circuit board. Even still the circuit board was too big to fit in to the RPM box. The thing is it was only a small fraction of an inch that was casing it to be too big. So I took a dremmel to the RPM box and cut away enough material to allow me to push the circuit board into the rpm box. I will try to get some pictures of it. It seems this is not an issue if you are running a 2.4ghz system as the receiver is much smaller than the stock analog.

She is done and tested!! I went to a parking lot last night and ran 3 tanks before it got dark. She ran like a champ! I did have to mess with the steering as it needs some more adjusting.
DSC00233.JPG

In this pic you can see that I found the metal clevis'
DSC00239.JPG

In this pic you can see how I set up my fuel/pressure lines. I rotated the fuel inlet nipple to make it so the tube had more of a straight shot to the tank.
DSC00240.JPG

DSC00242.JPG

Just a quick update, here are some pics that I took over last weekend.
DSC00412.JPG

DSC00416.JPG

Please don't mind the 1/16 e-revo in the background!

DSC00417.JPG

I have yet to ventrue into the body painting aspect of the hobby/addiction So I went and punched new holes into my beatup stock body. I did this mainly for show and to see how a stock size body would look on the truck.

I think it works great! Granted I have only used the 086 and the stock plastic on the F so I don't really have much to compare to.

Members online

No members online now.
Back