LVC on Flux - Set for damage as standard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexxan

Been scouring the net for info - feeling at little brain fried.

Came across this from the MaxAmps site and it has me a little worried for tomorrow:

'Warning: The Savage Flux ESC has a soft LiPo cutoff as the factory default setting. This means that it won’t cut the power to your system when the pack voltage reaches the cutoff point. We highly recommend getting a Castle Link which will allow you to program the ESC to a hard cutoff. This will protect you from over-discharging your LiPo pack and voiding your warranty'

Shouldn't the facory default be the safest highest setting? Can that be set without Castle Link?

Thanks.

Doesn't the Flux ESC work with a USB cord, not the Castle Link? I saw the MMM v3 with the USB ports, so I thought that was how you tune it. I guess they had it on soft settings for the people starting out with NiMH packs.

Been scouring the net for info - feeling at little brain fried.

Came across this from the MaxAmps site and it has me a little worried for tomorrow:

'Warning: The Savage Flux ESC has a soft LiPo cutoff as the factory default setting. This means that it won’t cut the power to your system when the pack voltage reaches the cutoff point. We highly recommend getting a Castle Link which will allow you to program the ESC to a hard cutoff. This will protect you from over-discharging your LiPo pack and voiding your warranty'

Shouldn't the facory default be the safest highest setting? Can that be set without Castle Link?

Thanks.

As i understand it, your describing 2 different settings here:

soft cutoff: you'll experience a significant power loss to alert you that you have reached lvc so you can still drive the truck back to your location.
Check your manual and it will tell you the factory default LVC which I'm thinking is cut very close to 3.0v (the max draw until you risk damage to a pack.

not exactly. each flux owner has the option to buy a different set of batteries with different voltage and amperage and want the longest run time possible. However, yes, you can adjust this LVC with the castle link (and not without the castle-link) so that you won't run your packs as close to LVC as in the factory setting.

hard cut off- explained very well in your post

cut the power to your system when the pack voltage reaches the cutoff point.
Also, you need the castle-link for this because you will have to change the settings with the computer software and then upload to your ESC.

Conclusion- The safest way to go about it is get the castle-link, read the owners manual & set the LVC to a level where you feel comfortable while your learning the truck. You can always adjust the LVC with the Castle-Link as you get more familiar with it.

-or-

You can run the truck a bit and go easy on it & shut it down after a few minutes.

Personally, i plan to get the castle-link before i run the truck but chances are pretty good that the truck will break on the first run before you reach LVC especially if you got 6s packs.

bevis

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't the Flux ESC work with a USB cord, not the Castle Link? I saw the MMM v3 with the USB ports, so I thought that was how you tune it. I guess they had it on soft settings for the people starting out with NiMH packs.

you need a castle link, USB cord & the software. rockout

Thanks friddyj

that response has just helped me get my head around it.

Looks like a castle-link is essential. Always planned on getting one but the impossible to find stocked in the UK.

I've got a LV warning device from my heli LiPo days which also has a toned alarm - might set this up through a deans jumper much like I did when I was running LiPo's on my E-Revo - not a bad temp fix while waiting for a Castle-Link.

Just fine tuning with Castle Link - Read the Castle instructions wrong and didn't realize that punch control refers to application percentage - D'oh! Eager to raise that and try tomorrow. Just read Freesebyte's SMC LiPo thread again - I've got LVC set as Custom with a 6.4v cut off - is this a decent safety figure or overkill?

Edit:

CRAP! - good job I never ran them to LVC! - just had some advice on this, could have been a very costly newb mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back