Lrp Zr.30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Monster

A couple of fellas here have requested that I post a review of my brandy new LRP ZR.30, so here goes. The test mule is a Savage X rtr with Maximizers, Zombie Maxes, and Big bores. I was sooo tired chasing problems and trouble shooting the 4.6f engine with like 2 gallons through it that I thought, Ok here's my chance to try a quality motor. These engines are available everywhere for about 200 bucks (about 50-70$less than an OS VG30). Ok on to installation, turning the carb to line up the throttle linkage was a pleasant surprise. The carb lock pin on all my previous savage engines is one piece, which if you are inexperienced with you can manage to damage the carb body. The lrp uses a 2 piece lock pin that the screw holds together (much better design). On to break-in, The engine did not immediatly jump to life but did start after several pulls. After a couple stalls and restarts the drama was almost over, (The LRP manual states that they want you to start the engine, warm it up to 160-190f for about 2 minutes then, take it out in the car an drive it at 1/4 -1/2 throttle for 5 tanks, allowing the engine to cool for 15 minutes in between tanks.) I took the truck outside and putted down the drive and stalled. I took a quick temp reading of 210f and discovered a loose fuel tank lid, after a quick fix temps came down to 160f-180f through the first tank, and the truck quit stalling. Ok time for the second tank so I'll post some more later.

Well, 2nd tank done and it's really starting run smoother, no more drama, temps are around 180f. I'm starting to get itchy for second gear and full boogie but will resist til 5th tank.:nono:

Sweet information. Can you post up some pictures of this thing installed in the truck and maybe some vid as soon as she is broke in?

Well, I finally got the 5th tank through it and man does it have some beans! Temps are between 230-250f. I haven't started tuning yet and it wheelies on demand and can pull the steers up from a rolling start. I haven't any experience with the whole video clip thing but will try tomorrow if weather permits.

Above are Some bad pics of my dirty truck and a couple of short vids. This is my first attempt at this kind of thing so be kind.

Nice vid and pics Monster.:resp: Do you plan on getting a diffrent pipe for it?

seems like its waking up for ya. i like it. what plug, fuel & gearing you using?

oh & btw, "WILL YA STOP DOING THAT!!" :lmao4:

Yeah I have a polished Hpi pipe coming from SMF. I also am interested in the Buku pipe. Do you guys think it would do alot for this engine? I'm using the stock R5 plug, Byron's gen2 33%, 17/47t gearing. I have done no tunig , all settings are stock from the manual after break-in.

Looks and sounds good man. thats the mill i was thinking of getting. keep up the updates

i would do an xl 3 speed, aluminum clutches (....if you don't already have em), McCoy mc59, and see what that does for ya

nah, you don't NEED anything, run it with the gears you got, then decide if you want to go lower or higher gearing.

Just a small update, I have a THS pipe coming from SMF. I'm kinda excited to see if this improve the midrange a little. Overall I'm still pleased with this engine after about 10tanks the only problem I have had is really hot last 1/4 tank. Temps go from 180-230f to 295-310f for last 1/4 tank but the truck continues to run fine and wheeleys on command. When I install the pipe I'll check a few things out to try to fix the temp issue. I'll also try to get some more video of me in proper attire.......

Just a small update, I have a THS pipe coming from SMF. I'm kinda excited to see if this improve the midrange a little. Overall I'm still pleased with this engine after about 10tanks the only problem I have had is really hot last 1/4 tank. Temps go from 180-230f to 295-310f for last 1/4 tank but the truck continues to run fine and wheeleys on command. When I install the pipe I'll check a few things out to try to fix the temp issue. I'll also try to get some more video of me in proper attire.......

ya bro sounds like 1/2 tank lean you got there. when my 4.6rtr was new i changed the black plastic pipe to a ths 825 & HTL got 10x worse.

change to midtank & it all straighten out. read post 7 & on https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7077

Few questions:

Can the roto-start be used on this engine?

What clutch are you running?

BTW, it looks badass!! Crazy power!:werd:

Well, I got the half tank licked for the moment. There was something in the HSN that was partially blocking the jet, it was gone by the time that I discovered the prob but It left marks on the needle and seat as evidence. I'm gonna retune soon and shoot another vid:D. As far as the roto start, I really don't know maybe the 4.6k stuff might work but I got so fed up with crappy OWB and roto start back cover breaking the rear engine housing that I say GOOD RIDDANCE to it. I am using the stock teflon clutch for now. I may get another aluminum clutch but I was dissapointed with the life the HPI one I bought had and it was 30$!

Latest posts

Members online

Back