LRP Tuning Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike16150

I got an LRP Spec 3 .28 and need some help tuning. I'm running SideWinder 30% and MC-9 Glow Plugs. According to the LRP Instructions I should be running around 230 degrees for a great tune however at 230 degrees the engine is not tuned. When I hit around 260-270 I have a perfectly tuned engine. After running a tank of fuel on a fresh glow plug I can pull it and have a little oil and fuel on the plug. I was wondering if I really need to worry about the 230 degree mark that LRP states. I also have a PICCO .26 and it tunes out at around 280. I did seal the engine and checked for any resistance caused by gears/parts dragging and everything looks good. My weather conditions during tuning were high humidty, temps around 87 and I was running in short (1 inch) grass.

My Picco seems easier to tune than the LRP and I though it was supposed to be the other way around

Thanks

After submitting I noticed I was in the wrong forum - could this be deleted as I am moving it to the correct forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the Picco's can withstand some higher temps but I wasn't sure about the LRP - so if I'm running fine at 260-270 I should just keep running at that? I just wasn't sure why LRP stated the safe range up to 230. The pipe is an OFNA Jammin JP2

Thanks

260-270f is warm but IMO probably not too hot. Just check the usual subjects as far as leanin it out, cracked fuel line, cracked fuel tank, bad lid o-ring, carb o-ring,etc. It may be be helpful to return to factory settings on the carb, and retune from there.

I changed all the lines and O-Rings and even replaced the tank. I really don't think it's running to lean because I have a nice coating on the glow plug after a run through a full tank and the glow plug isn't discolored at all.

i would try a different fuel. sidewinder really isn't the best stuff in my book. i was an O'Donnell man until a good friend of mine told me to try Byron's. goodness it is easy to tune with that stuff!!! thanks Bank ol buddy! but all jokes aside ...i never had good tuning with sidewinder or blue thunder!!

byron's makes an RTR fuel that is 33% nitro with a 16% oil mixture!! you need to check them out if you can find it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back