Lrp Leaning At High Idle????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAVDOG

Ok I Just Bought Another Lrp .28 Speciii. I Got It Broke In And Motor Runs Great But I Am Having A Problem With It Leaning Out At High Rpm And At High Speeds Motor Sounds Burppy?? One Thing I Did Notice Is When I Put The Pipe On The Header Is Not Snug On The Header Gasket On The Motor Outlet. I Don't Know If This Would Have Any Effect On This Problem? If Anyone Runs This Motor Could You Give Me Some Input On What You Think. I Would Greatly Appreciate It Thanks. Guys

If your still using the Stock Savage X tank, there is proof that It haves trouble causing the truck to lean in half tank situations.. I know this is totally off subject but anyways this is solved by using a Ofna 125CC tank.. https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3743&highlight=custom

-try checking the Oring on the fuel tank for any problems, make sure Its providing a good seal.. apply a little vasoline to it
-check the fuel lines for damage (rips,tears,holes,etc.)
-if you have a fuel filter, check the Orings seal on that..
-you could try fitting the header tighter to the gasket by manuavering(sp?) your exhaust a little..

I just checked for leaks regarding fuel system earlier so Id recommend that, but If you notice something funky at the header.. Id go with that

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem with mine. In your post you say "another lrp" did you not have the problem with the other engine?

my old engine used to do this, richen the high speed and lean the low speed

some engines tune weird, i know my rb loves a fat hs and a lean ls to run right

I know my stock lrp exhaust gasket is not sealing properly with the stock savage header. I am going to pick up a stock savage gasket hopefully this weekend. It is probably a good place to start with fixing it.

Hi guys. I have a LRP engine with just 5 tanks in it. I know i am still running in the rich side because there is a nice trail of smoke when running at full throttle. The issue is right after i release the throttle, and slow down, the 1st squeeze/blip(half a second) will be lean(high idle sound and will wheelie). The second blip will be its normal tune (rich low end).

Is this a problem? Am i starving fuel in the low end after i go full speed? Everything will be normal after 2 blips/quick squeeze after full throttle.

I still have not adjusted the LSN. I already leaned out the HSN 3/4 turn from factory setting.

Savage X, 18/49 with stock plastic pipe. :) Thanks in advance.

Hey Jao I Am Having The Exact Same Prob. With My New Lrp. I Have Bought New Hpi Exhaust Gasket And They Seal Much Much Better!!! I Have Not Ran It Yet (to Cold Out) When I Do Run It I Will Let You Know The Verdic If It Clears Up The Leaning. If You Find Out What It Is Before I Do Then Let Me Know What You Did. Thanks.

Hi guys. I have a LRP engine with just 5 tanks in it. I know i am still running in the rich side because there is a nice trail of smoke when running at full throttle. The issue is right after i release the throttle, and slow down, the 1st squeeze/blip(half a second) will be lean(high idle sound and will wheelie). The second blip will be its normal tune (rich low end).

Is this a problem? Am i starving fuel in the low end after i go full speed? Everything will be normal after 2 blips/quick squeeze after full throttle.

I still have not adjusted the LSN. I already leaned out the HSN 3/4 turn from factory setting.

Savage X, 18/49 with stock plastic pipe. :) Thanks in advance.

I really don't think so. You have to keep in mind that when your engine is screaming and you let off the throttle abruptly the engine is still spinning fast and looking for the fuel it was getting that isnt there any more making it lean out fast till the RPM`s die down. When you blip the throttle quickly its getting a shot of fuel fast befor the rev`s pick up and restoring balence.

If your unsure then warm up the enging and make several high speed passes. On the last pass bring the truck in by slamming on the brakes and listen to the engine. If it revs for 1-2 seconds then it should be ok as long as it calms down and goes back to idle.
If it doesnt then while its revving make sure the throttle is closing all the way and richen the lo speed needle a little. After that you may have to adjust the idle screw a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found mine would rev hard after a full speed run and then slow to idle. The manual says this is due to the lsn being too rich. I found this was exactly correct. Mine would bog on take off as well as rev high after a WOT run. I had to lean the bottom a lot but eventually and all in 1/8 step the bogging disappeared and so did the high idle after WOT. Remember to get the HSN set correctly with the engine at running temp before tinkering with the LSN.

I found mine would rev hard after a full speed run and then slow to idle. The manual says this is due to the lsn being too rich. I found this was exactly correct. Mine would bog on take off as well as rev high after a WOT run. I had to lean the bottom a lot but eventually and all in 1/8 step the bogging disappeared and so did the high idle after WOT. Remember to get the HSN set correctly with the engine at running temp before tinkering with the LSN.

That if very true. I forgot to ask if the truck boggs out off the line....DERR! What can I say, no one is perfect.

That if very true. I forgot to ask if the truck boggs out off the line....DERR! What can I say, no one is perfect.

Yup nitronut. it bogs at the low end. I should blip the throttle 2 or 3 times to be able to run it clearly from stop. especially when it idles for quite long.

MTbiker, thanks for the reply. this clears up my head now.
Nitronut, thanks too! :)

SAVDOG, i will post an update here. I think MTbiker's and nitonut's suggestions will fix the thing. :)

Yup nitronut. it bogs at the low end. I should blip the throttle 2 or 3 times to be able to run it clearly from stop. especially when it idles for quite long.

MTbiker, thanks for the reply. this clears up my head now.
Nitronut, thanks too! :)

SAVDOG, i will post an update here. I think MTbiker's and nitonut's suggestions will fix the thing. :)

I will say to tune your HSN to get the performance you want with out burning up your engine and then when your happy with it then adjust your LSN like MTBiker said and then see how it is.

Your engine is still new and needs to be run hard and tuned good. You did do the recomended break in I assume.

did you blow any fuel out by the rear gasket,i was just breaking mine in and it reved high an quit it was out of fuel i picked it up an i could see fuel around the pull start,now i did seal the pull start and the carb,but like you i thought the seal on the header felt way loose.i made it to the third tank of break in so far.

I'm having the same problem right now with my LRP.I tried everything that i thought would solve it but it didn't.I sent it back last week and still didn't get back.I'll keep you guys updated!!!!

Today i put on the original 4.6 gasket then put a lil high temp sealant on it and shortened the header spring gonna let it cure overnight an try it again tomorrow.What do you guys runnig this engine with the buku pipe use for a header and gasket set up?

I just run the stock setup with two springs on the header. I use heater hose as a coupler instead of the purple hpi one.

Latest posts

Members online

Back