LRP .28 Spec 3 WHAT PIPE?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJSAVAGEX

got an LRP .28 spec 3 mill on the way and wondering whats the best pipe to run with it to get the most out of it? How are the ERCM pipes? Also should i get this thing modded? I'm pretty much a basher but some friends and i have been building a dirt track to mess around on

I just installed this same motor and used the hpi polished aluminum pipe I had and I'm impressed with the way it runs. haven't tried any others yet. But it definitely allows it to run well above the manufacturers 33,500. I saw 36,000 rpm before I started pushing it and my tach quit working. Everyone says the 086 and I'd go with that one.

LRP has different break in procedures. I actually had to lean it a little to get it up to break in temps. (170*to 190*) Read the manual.

ya the hpi polished pipe is actually a pretty good exhaust,don't let the cheap price fool you its a great exhaust.....

i run teh 086 pipe on my lrp.28,this is a top end pipe and the motor screams with it.i got the chrome one from amain hobbies for 45 bux

The 053 pipe will work well on it also. The 053 will have great bottom end and mid range which is what you see most with these larger heavier MT trucks. My vote goes for the 053 or the 086 pipe set on that engine. And play with header length to get the result you want.

THANKS for all the replies guys! I'm thinking i want more bottom/mid-range and if i want more top end maybe just change gearing?

That being said is there only one brand of pipe for the 053 and 086? Who makes them and where can i get them? Also is there a part number thats savage specific? I know these are kinda newbie questions and ive had my savage for about 3 years, but i am just getting into modding LOL.
L.J.

got an LRP .28 spec 3 mill on the way and wondering whats the best pipe to run with it to get the most out of it? How are the ERCM pipes? Also should i get this thing modded? I'm pretty much a basher but some friends and i have been building a dirt track to mess around on

I run the losi 454 clone of the LRP.28Z in my 14LB, stock lenght tvp's truck. I use a 086 and its AWSOME. After break in when the motor really started to come alive it has a gob of low end grunt and a whale of top end.

I have no experience with the 053 but Adam says its good, with that advice, I would not think twice about putting a a dynomite 053 on mine.

I don't have any experience with the ERCM pipes, they are LOUD, but if you want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of that motor thats the way to go. Ive also heard that they give good tunability. That style of pipe is very old with boat racers. Robin takes his knoledge and pakes it into a pipe that will fit on a savage. Alot of guys love them

I have some video of my truck here in the y-tube section with that dynomte 086 pipe/ engine combo.

I didn't find a mach to any of my motors with the JP-3

I'm still thinking about this and what i want/should do. Where is the best place to get both the dynamite pipes and the ERCM pipe? Do they come with headers too? I have a header now that uses the spring type coupler connection. Can both these pipes work with that? Also i don't want polished either b/c i've been there and they only look shiny until the first run.

Price is a consideration, but power/performance/tunability is important as well.
Guess i'm looking for more advice. Thanks in advance.

the ERCM pipes are not availible Robin who does all the work at ERCM hurt himself somehow so hes not doing much at all. the only one ive seen for sale was on savagecentral and extremesavage gobbled it with the quickness.

the 086 and the 053 are grat pipes for that motor the stock Dynamite pipes wont fit because of header clearence unless you have big bore shocks it wont fit.

STS sells a short header that will fit with stock suspention on the 086 or 053.

Was leaning towards the ercm nut I guess that's not gonna happen. Do you know the part number and where I can get the STS header you mentioned and the dynamite pipe?

If you wanted you could put a Macks pipe on it. ERCM pipes are a little different but same concept squeeze every bit of power out of the motor you can. ERCMs pipes are polished stainless ready to install, the Macs pipes are just bare Alum. They are a pain to install. need a exhuast presshure fitting and someway to mount it. Unless you know how to weld Alum. its a big pain. My brother fabricatred one on his 25 cc zenoah 1/5 scale boat. that thing is awsome super loud. lots of mods high compression,timing. engine way overpowers the boat. its alot of fun. :jumpers:

THANKS guys. I'll consider the 086 dynamite pipe and that header since i have stock tvps and run 2 shocks per wheel.

Is Robin the only way to get a ERCM pipe?

yup Robin does all the work at ERCM, I think. I hope hes feeling better soon hes got a huge waiting list.

The Macs pipe is similar to ERCM, I've seen those on savage trucks maybe even before Robin started sellin SS pipes.

If done right the Aluminum Macs pipe looks good and lots of options for customization. Ive thought about doing one myself I have acess to all the tools welder, anodizing colors. But the ERCM pipe is made out of stainless steel ALOT tougher than alum. I'm guessing thats what inspired Robin to make a SS pipe.

Not sure i wanna try doing a mac pipe myself and messing something up and i am a basher at heart so the aluminum may not be tough enough for me.

Since ERCM isn't available right now is the Dynamite 086 pipe the next best option with that short header?

THANKS guys. I'll consider the 086 dynamite pipe and that header since i have stock tvps and run 2 shocks per wheel.

Is Robin the only way to get a ERCM pipe?

They have been selling used lately but yes they are all hand made by him. As of the last time I spoke to him (about 2 weeks) He has a herniated disk in his back. I don't know how long he will be down.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the heads up about Robin. Maybe i'll just wait for him to get back to business and get in line for an ERCM pipe

They have been selling used lately but yes they are all hand made by him. As of the last time I spoke to him (about 2 weeks) He has a herniated disk in his back. I don't know how long he will be down.

wow had a disc like that myself and believe me you cant sit or stand for long periods,and the pain at times was insane, now i understand why he hasn't been able to work on the pipes lately, hope he's feeling better soon because he does good work no matter whats happened.......

yes, the Dyno 086 is a great pipe its showed beast results on my Losi 454. You might want to consider both. the ERCM pipe is LOUD having a good performance pipe to be a little less noisy might be something to consider.

Latest posts

Members online

Back