Low speed needle problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dociledragons

I purchased a used savage put about 3 tank into it and discovered the low speed needle valve turns on it's own. What cause this.. Is something missing in the carb?

The cause of the problem, which is called "walkin needles", is the o-rings are worn out. You can buy an o-ring/seal kit new or buy a new low speed needle which should have the o-rings already on it. I had worn out o-rings on the carb for my axial and got the o-ring to rebuild the carb, but ended up messin the o-rings up. I went ahead and bought a whole new carb and swapped them out. Yeah it was a bit more money, but less of a headache. Hope this helps some.

Thanks, I will have to see if i can find some o rings

Also forgot to mention to get some Associated (AE/Team Associated) Green Slime. Use it to coat the o-rings lightly. It'll help the o-rings seal better and lubricate them when you re-install them. With the o-rings bein dry when you re-install them, they'll stick to the metal of the carb and possibly rip or unseat themselves from the groove they rest in. But, the main plus is that it helps seal them better and the small tube goes along way. I'm still usin the same tube from 3-4 yrs ago.

Also forgot to mention to get some Associated (AE/Team Associated) Green Slime. Use it to coat the o-rings lightly. It'll help the o-rings seal better and lubricate them when you re-install them. With the o-rings bein dry when you re-install them, they'll stick to the metal of the carb and possibly rip or unseat themselves from the groove they rest in. But, the main plus is that it helps seal them better and the small tube goes along way. I'm still usin the same tube from 3-4 yrs ago.

Could I not just use a little grease?

Could I not just use a little grease?

Not sure if grease will work or not, never tried it. I think the green slime is only a few bucks and it goes a long way. I've been usin the same tube for the last 3-4 yrs and on a few motors with a couple tear downs and rebuild. IMO, it's worth the money. I'm sure others will chime in too who might have used grease, but I've only used the green slime.

Alcohol fuel (Nitro) will break down grease. It'll just wash away. And not all O-rings are the same. Make sure the o-rings you buy are compatible with alcohol and temps up to 300* Usually silicone not rubber.

Members online

No members online now.
Back