Lot's Of Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageSSBEAST

I am gonna spend some money on my savage ss

I am going to buy a 3 speed transmission
Aluminum clutch shoes (What Brand)
Fail safe (What Brand)
Stock Hpi hump pack from a savage XL
Also suggest anything else you think i should get

I just did the steering mod were i shaved down the knuckles and stuff (Works good) but can't i do something with bearings to make it even better?

Thanks

Mid-tank mod to get rid of the half tank lean. thats my next mod. already ordered the ofna 250cc tank from SMF, just got to wait for more cash. bought another savage so my girlfriend doesn't wreck mine

If your three speed tranny does not have it already, get the high speed third gear. For the clutches, Nova clutches with mugen 1.0 springs would be my recommendation. HPI aluminum clutch shoes are good, but Nova's are the best IMO. Not sure if you already have done it, but replace the bushings in the steering posts with bearings.

I have run a duratrax failsafe, but any fail safe is a good idea. Look into upgrading from the stock radio. The stock is ok, but if you bash with other people or racing, you eliminate the freq problems, will get faster response from the tx and you have more control of servo settings. Just my .02... Have fun buying then building

Last edited by a moderator:
I like OFNA Alum. shoes, but the others listed are great as well. The Novas are probably one of the best as they are adjustable but its more things to mess with. Def go with 1.0mm springs. If you go with the OFNA's they usually come with springs and are fairly inexpensive compared to the rest.

When I was running 75mhz radios I ran an ofna fail safe which I still have its in great condition. This is the one I prefer as it's small and easy to use.

The 3 speed is nice and like said above you can upgrade the 3rd gear to a high speed set, I haven't done mine and not sure if I will.

The XL hump will do the job, just fine.

Allen mentioned the steering bearings they are a great improvement. You can also see my signature and do this little mod to make your truck turn sharper.

The Mid-Tank mod and throttle Mod (OFNA) are 2 very common mods people do but I suggest running your truck more if its brand new and tackle these later as they are a little more in depth. Lots of threads on them thought.

So far this is what i am getting

Nova "Adjustable Engagement" aluminum alloy clutch shoes with 1.0 mugen springs

Savage X SS 4.6 3 Speed Transmission (mine is a regular SS with this still fit?)

NEW HPI SAVAGE XL HUMP BACK BATTERY PACK, 6V, + CHARGER

OFNA FAIL SAFE

Bearings for steering what size and how many?

Keep on suggesting me more good thing's Truck already has all aluminum GPM front end and little bit in the back/mental spur gear/full skid plate/and some other stuff

The 3 speed will still fit with no issues.

The bearings you need are 10mm x 6mm x 3mm and you need 4 to compleat it.

Great choice on the rest of the stuff.

So far this is what i am getting

Nova "Adjustable Engagement" aluminum alloy clutch shoes with 1.0 mugen springs

Savage X SS 4.6 3 Speed Transmission (mine is a regular SS with this still fit?)

NEW HPI SAVAGE XL HUMP BACK BATTERY PACK, 6V, + CHARGER

OFNA FAIL SAFE

Bearings for steering what size and how many?

Keep on suggesting me more good thing's Truck already has all aluminum GPM front end and little bit in the back/mental spur gear/full skid plate/and some other stuff

you will need 6x10x3 bearings and get 4 of them. 2 per post

http://www.avidrc.com/shop/?action=item&id=22&prevaction=category&previd=1&prevstart=0 just get the rubber bearings not the ceramic they are $1 will cost you about $9 shipped. they are fast on shipping also.

I would just order them from avidrc.com sears def doesn't have them and fastenal is a specialty industrial hardware supply store. you don't absolutely need the pilot nut but it does have a deeper groove in it to better hold the heavier 1.0mm springs. plus the groove sits further out on the flywheel than the stock pilot nut lining up on better

Members online

No members online now.
Back