Lots of oil residue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeyeberhardt

It appears that there is a lot of oil around the motor...is that normal on a nitro motor?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 12
it is normal to get a bit of oily residue on the :ercm: usually off the front of the crank due to the bearing being a bit worn..... a quick spray of some denatured alcohol and a brush will usually remove it.... also it is possibly from around the base of the carb too if it is a bit loose or has a nicked o ring.....

make sure the banjo fitting on the carb is tight too as sometimes they do loosen up at times....and always keep an eye on the fuel tubing as it ages it can leak also, but you will find these things during routine maintenance checks

How much running caused that mess? If that's from a days worth of running, I'd pull the engine and find the clean spot, that's typically where the leak is.

That's from about a gallon of fuel....I've pretty much just ran it around the yard a few tanks a day but today I took it to a local track and had some of the experienced guys kinda help me with the tune on it and get some tips from them hands on...I noticed when I came home that it looked pretty wet around the motor so I started cleaning it up and notice two screws came out that I can tell.. So I'm thinking I'm gonna pull it apart a little bit not all the way down and locktite some of the metal to metal screws that I wouldn't be needing to take out anytime soon. And seal the motor and clean it up

What are you using to seal up your motor? I need to seal mine also.

What are you using to seal up your motor? I need to seal mine also.

Most use hi temp ultra copper silicone gasket maker or rtv as it is called, permatex brand seems to be the best one to use, available at any auto supply store or even Walmart and most hardware stores

WP599192.jpg

Where all do you seal it at?..just a bead on the o rings on the carb and Inbetween the head and block and then on the back of the block?

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/nitro-engine-sealing.15150/

before you seal anything clean clean and clean all parts before and let them dry well...... I let my sealant setup a bit before any reassembly about 20 mins is good......
Oh man I haven't made it to that thread yet...I am going to break out the laptop one day this week so I can see you directions a lil bit easier than on my phone...I'm gonna get everything broke down and cleaned up good in the next few weeks..also thinking of doing a Mod to the tank where you put a dubro(?) inlet on the tank lid it is said to solve the htl problem

That's good to know because I was wondering about how long before I start to reassemble after putting on the sealant.

Latest posts

Members online

Back