Loons Savage Overhaul

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunar Wolf

Well since i'll be installing a bunch of hopups over the next few weeks i thought i'd start a little project thread so you can all join in the fun (ain't i a nice guy).

Soo this is my truck:

Basher.jpg

Newlook.jpg

As things stand based on the Savage XSS.
-Stock K4.6 & HPI Polished pipe
-Mugen Alloy shoes with 1.0mm springs
-3 Speed Tranny & Reverse module
-MQ Fiber shell
-Integy Piggybacks on stock shocks (Inverted)
-Doubled up X TVP's
-Maximizer offset 17mm beadlocks & HPI Super Mudders
-Integy bracing bars
-GPM joint posts & steering nuckles
-RPM Centre skid & Cutdown Vertigo tank guard

Electronics:
-Futaba 3PJs with Spektrum Pro upgrade
-JR8611a steering servo
-JR4800s Throttle/Break servo
-2700mah pack (GP)

Well i think thats basically it.

Okay first Upgrade:
STS30ready2.jpg

STS D30M Rev.2 with 0702 pipe & Orion V6 CRF clutch
If you caught my other thread on the mill you'll have already seen the pic. Not running the V6 clutch just yet, need to get a new clutchbell for it and going to use my Mugen clutch for breakin since its on its last legs and all that throttle blipping isn't going to do the new one much good.

Got the new mill started for the first time today, 10 heatcycles for its initial breakin, got through about 3-4 tanks. Power seems good considering its running very rich and the pinch is very tight, should make for a good seal. At the end of the 10 heatcycles i was doing a few short 1/2 throttle passes and it was doing speeds similar to my k4.6 at full wack, 1/4 blips were pulling the front wheels up too! something my k4.6 struggled to do with the heavy nature of my rig, sweet...

Got my new chassis set from Rob today:

IRCset.jpg

Was gonna get the black set but sadly all out of stock. Still looks like a good set...

...but wait, you know the saying 'two left feet?' well i got to right TVP's!
IRCtvps.jpg

emailed rob about it now just waiting on a reply. Fitting this setup will have to wait, awww!

Well got a reply from Rob at IRC and new a replacement TVP is onroute :D

Also fitted new Tyres:
Zombie2.jpg

I would like to see a few shots of your truck in comparison to the wheels. I have a TT .5 ext and I was thinking of getting that tire/wheel combo as well. Some wheels look too small for my truck so I want to see how the look in comparison to a IRC truck.

Well it'll have to wait, i'm still waiting for the replacement IRC TVP to arrive.

Here's a shot of my stock lenth truck with these wheels/tyres:

Zombie1.jpg

Nice setup. I like the wheels and tire combo. I'm on a waiting list with Rob. Waiting for the blk tvps kit to roll out. I'd like to try the Losi zombies on 40s. I herd you can do it as well as it will give less side wall flex. Thx for sharing your build with us

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Hop.

Zombies on 40series rims? can't see how without physically cutting the ID larger, sounds like it would turn into a complete hack job. But i'd like to see someone try.

if it is for bashing you would be better off on the mt size rims for the the added shock absorbtion of the tryes and less chance of cracking a rim.

i like the hpi super mudders in the first pic. the look pretty mean

Supper mudders are good tyres, for their weight they don't ballon alot, but they are a bit on the heavy side. They have their uses so i'll keep them around.

Thanks! Is it possible to get a side view of them and not on an angle, sorry if I'm being picky.

@ FX - Side view of what?

@Doo - I've modded the K4.6, its better, i've refurbed it since replacing it with the STS but it is as yet untested, probably stick it in my mates S25.

Okay bit of progress,

Got the replacement TVP from IRC yesterday. I was going to fit this lot next week, but breakin with the STS is going well, so well infact i blew an almost new centrerear dogbone, so if i got to take half the truck apart to change that i might as well get this done.

IRCSET.jpg

Gave it all a bit of a buff with some brasso, it won't stay looking shiney like this for long but looks nice for the photo :D

IRCMOD.jpg

Slight mod here for the pipe header, it would have worked the way it was but i want to sling the pipe a bit lower so i can remove the upper tranny screws and pull the 3-speed without having to touch the pipe. Also wanted to loose the sharp edge that cuts into the header overtime.

IRCBHOLE.jpg

and made a couple of extra holes on the rear to match the front, these line up with engine bracebars if you have them fitted behind the hingepins, kinda strange there were none on the rear but i guess IRC is just copying the origional Savage TVP's here.

Luner - First those are awesome plates from IRC second you do really clean mods. Like the way you knotched out the one area for the header. Almost forgot about the Zombies, I heard this from a basher friend who has seen them on 40's. They say it's a real hard stretch but can be done. I need to get a pic from them and bring it over here to show. Anyways you seem to be very talented in modding things out, Good work Luner

Sounds good. Would sure like an update when you've completed testing with your modded 4.6. engine. HPI's nitro star 25 left alot of room for improvement in the mod deptartment. With all the ruff cuts in the 4.6, I suspect there's a good chance to unlock some additional proformance gains as well with a well-done mod . Thanks for the reply, LW. And keep us posted on this engines test results, for sure. -DOOBEEWHA

Thanks Hop. I'd love to see a photo of zombies streatched over 40's that sounds mad. I guess zombies are streatchy enough it it would work, did he use different foams?

@DBW, The K4.6 is just dremmel practice in all honesty, i'm not expecting alot. Its got some extreem crank & sleeve work but compression isn't exactly great. I'll let you know when i get it up and running.

Okay almost forgot to post up a snap of the Ti parts i've installed:

Some nice new Lunsford hingepins and a Hotbodies Gearshaft.

Titanium.jpg

Pulled the reverse module, nothing wrong with it but i just don't trust the STS30 not to break it. I hardly ever used it anyway. Along with the control servo it will reduce the overall weight a bit and there'll be a bit less driveline drag.

The stock hingepins weigh about 100g, the Ti ones weigh about 60g, but the real advantage is that their reputed to be alot stronger. One of the fronts i changed was bent and was making the suspension arm stiff and creaky.

Well after a long day of wrenching heres a little progress shot:

Progress.jpg

Drilled some extra holes in the header to remount the pipe so that the stinger is at a 45deg angle, thought about having it at 90deg horizontal but figured if it took a knock then the pressure nipple would get slammed into the TVP and may get damaged, this way it should keep most of the exhaust junk off the chassis. Just need to sort out a hanger wire for it and its done.

Btw are all gaskets for one peice pipes made of cheese or is it just the STS ones? mine are both completely disintergrated...

Have to redo the linkages, the 6mm front extension means that they are all a little short now, but going to wait until monday for my new 18t bell to get here, i'll also be fitting the Orion CRF clutch at that point :D

I'll also re-assemble my Stock chassis and compare its weight to the new one. Weighed the IRC set (as pictured earlier) on my cheapo kitchen scales and it came to about 600g, be intersting to see if i've managed to loose any thing from just the chassis change.

lol 'wrong way on'

It Lowers the Centre of Gravity, shafts get less sandblasting, and protects the piggybacks better in a rollover.

Interesting, I like your truck allot. It has a very custom look to it. Looks great can't wait to see the final photos. Keep up the awesome work.

agrred with the lower cg with the shocks but......
1- there is more unsprung mass (not a lot granted) as the shocks will have to work a bit harder as there is more weight being forced up wen the wheel hits a bump, and...
2- the seals at the bottom of the shocks will be getting little oil to lubricate themselves....
just my 2c...
dan

ya there are tradeoffs as well, but with the right combination of oil and spring hardness their easly overcome. As for o-ring lubrication, not noticed any problems there, i guess if the shocks were full of air there might be an issue, but i keep them well blead.

i need to get some rubber boots for the front. The rears stay well lubricated as some oil gathers in the boots and keeps them lubed. The fronts as you say can dry out a little and are stiff until i've squeezed them a couple of times - after that its all good.

Also the oil in the rears stay looking like new, silt/dirt make their way into the fronts too easy. Yep Shocks are the next thing on the maintence list.

Okay progress update.

Just when i thought i'd managed to completely de-purlple my truck, the V6 clutch got fitted:
V6fitted1.jpg

V6fitted2.jpg

Gone with a HPI 18t vented bell, its exactly 26mm inside dia. Set it to 1.5turns as the manual stated as a start point for this size of bell. May have to retune it to engage earlier if it wheelies excessively. Ultimatly i'm aiming for equvilant engagement to 0.9mm springs with alloy shoes (if that makes sence).

Got the linkages set up:
revisedlinkage.jpg

Intrestingly don't need as much servo throw as i did with the K4.6 to get the carb to fully open. Was able to reuse the break linkages by just loosing some of the silicone tube and makeing a small adjustment to the smaller linkage rod.

And got the pipe properly mounted:
Pipefitted.jpg

Used 3mm thick linkage rod i had knocking around, made work for myself though, this stuff was very tough to bend, but should hopefully keep the pipe still. Ideally i'd like to get hold of some 2.5mm spring steel.

Couples questions
1) Did you use a SMF screw kit?
2) I think I understand, but could you explain how you attached your fuel tank?
3) Can I have it?
4) Could I have some shots of the truck so I can see the wheels?

Looks great the linkages looks a little funny with all the bends but different strokes for different folks, eh. I like the truck alot what other parts are you thinking of buying?

1) No, i got natedogs screw kit a while back so have plenty of screws, although i mostly use the 12.9 grade screws that came with the IRC chassis kit.

2)All stock there, tank, mounts etc.

3)no lol.

4)Good things come to those who wait.

Linkages look a little odd from that angle. Had to make a bend to clear the inside of the rollbar and another to bring it down to the lower position of the throttle arm (its been lowered 12mm then stock to be inline with the engine).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back