Looking for a lightweight low profile tire wheel combo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterB

I'm looking for a new lightweight tire wheel combo. I'm currently running proline dirt hawgs with proline beadlocks.
I love the tires but the combo is pretty heavy. I lean more toward the 40 series profiles because I hate the excessive sidewall flex the stock tires provided. I've been reading posts here and notice that the badlands are quite popular but checked prolines site and they are not listed in 40 series.

I'm considering possibly bowties or something on that line or even a set of revo geode/6.3" tires and wheels. (lightweight) (Anyone tried these?)

My emphasis would be on performance but I want a tire that will work well as a good all around tire, hardpack, sand, loose dirt, some rock.

My Pro-line Calibre VTR tyres and wheels are super light and the rims are near enough 40s diameter, just ALOT narrower. Very minimal sidewall flex and ballooning too. I'm sure they're for hard pack type surfaces.

They are more of a racers tyre than a bashing tyre though but I don't really do any big air so I bash on them fine.

if your looking for a "light weight" tire combo your gonna need out of 40 series. IMO all 40 series just add unnecessary weight.

imo,u should go to standard mt's,just my .02

like the guys said above...saving weight + 40series tires = a big fat nono. to put it more in perspective....it's like having a 500hp Mustang with 24" wheels and taking it to the track! unsprung weight dude....try to keep it to a minimum.

if you want light.......go with some Dirt Bonz and some standard ProLine flat dish wheels. that is a very light combo that works on all surfaces.

My Pro-line Calibre VTR tyres and wheels are super light and the rims are near enough 40s diameter, just ALOT narrower. Very minimal sidewall flex and ballooning too. I'm sure they're for hard pack type surfaces.

They are more of a racers tyre than a bashing tyre though but I don't really do any big air so I bash on them fine.
how well are the caliber tires? been lookin at gettin a set but wanted to know how they perform.

eric....

Ok I stopped by my LHS and used their scale to get real data.
For comparison sake. I weighed all of the Proline tires they had in stock both std maxx size and 40 series and the results will surprise some of you. Keep in mind these were in packages of two and the weights include the packaging which consisted of a plastic bag and a cardboard label.

Badlands std 16.2 -pair 8.1 ea 32.4 total
Bowtie 40 14.6 7.3 29.2
Bowtie std 14.3 7.15 28.6
Crime fighter 40 13.4 6.7 26.8
Crime fighter 14.2 7.1 28.4
Mulcher 40 16.2 8.1 32.4
Mulcher std 16.4 8.2 32.8
Dirt Hawg 40 20 10 40
Dirt Hawg std NA NA NA
Big Joe 40 22.4 11.2 44.8
Roadrage 40 16.6 8.3 33.2

The only wheel that was available in both sizes was the ProLine Velocity

40 series 7.6 3.8 15.2
Std 4.2 2.1 8.4
The wheels are where the weight difference is with a difference of 3.4oz per pair.

For giggles I weighed a set of mounted traxxas tires and wheels #5374 Talon tires/Gemini wheels.
19.6 9.8 39.2

I find it interesting that the revo uses 40 series sizes and is considered the racer. As well I've noticed that a lot of the pros are running 40 series or larger sizes. I'm thinking that the handling benefits far outweigh the weight difference as the handling with my 40s is night and day compared to the stock marshmalllows. Also another thing to take into consideration is where in the tire and wheel the weight is. The farther out it is the greater the impact.

I find it interesting that the revo uses 40 series sizes and is considered the racer. Also another thing to take into consideration is where in the tire and wheel the weight is. The farther out it is the greater the impact.

the revo doesn't use 40s. the revo uses 3.8 inch wheels. revo tires can be stretched to fit on 40s....but you better have good foams and glue the good...because the first hard corner and you're done. the further out the wheel is does make a difference......but not as much as it would on a full sized car that uses and upper and lower ball joint. you asked for the lightest....and the lightest out there are proline velocity wheels and dirt bonz.

I'll second the Dirt Bones as being super light. I picked up a $30 Savage 25 that has a set of them and they perfrom very well on a set of HPI wheels. Soulja, I thought 3.8" was the same as 40 series. Or is there another difference I'm not aware of like the width. I thought 40's were all 3.8" and normal MT's were all 3.2". Is this incorrect?

i could be wrong.......but i thought the 40 series was 4 1/6" inches (103mm or 105mm) around.

40s are 3.8 but the revo tires and wheels don't have the same bead and are not interchangeable.
Proline also now has full 4.0 tires that they offer for 1:8 trucks that are full race.

I think the rc manufacturers should list the weight of all their components since it does matter.
Tires and wheels are probably the worst place to add weight to an rc since it not only adds weight to the rig but also unsprung weight which affects suspension articulation and they are the largest rotational mass on the whole vehicle which has a huge effect on acceleration and braking.

Traxxas tires are very soft. Second tank after break in and the revo went on two wheels and a fist sized chunk flew off and almost hit me. Rubber is very soft and very thin compared to prolines. 40 series bow ties!

Traxxas talon are no good. Only tire good is the response pro, but the dirt bones are better.

how well are the caliber tires? been lookin at gettin a set but wanted to know how they perform.

eric....

Hey Eric, TBH I havn't had a chance to test them properly yet, I bought them last year but only just started using them and that has been on wet grass which they aren't really intended for, I hope to test them on a variety of different surfaces, hardpack, gravel and sandy surfaces etc as soon as the weather gets a bit better over here.

I have done a few runs on tarmac/pavement outside my block with them and they are great, grip really well and being ultra light my wheel's spin up to speed super fast.

I like the closed cell foam that's included with them, doesn't absorb any water and they're quite firm foams.

40s are 3.8 but the revo tires and wheels don't have the same bead and are not interchangeable.
Proline also now has full 4.0 tires that they offer for 1:8 trucks that are full race.

That is the VTR 4.0" range I speak of above, they are made in Calibre, Hole shot and Revolver tread patterns.

http://www.prolineracing.com/catalog/Un_Mounted-78-1.html

http://www.prolineracing.com/catalog/Wheels-19-1.html

If you want I can take one of mine off and weigh the tyre/wheel?

And you are correct, the 40s are 3.8" Dia.

Does anyone know anything about the Axial cubes or Terra-izer tires?
The cubes look like they have a little bigger knob than some of the others.

Latest posts

Members online

Back