LiPo puffed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightFlier X4.6

So I just got home from working out of town and Saturday I ordered some LiPo battery voltage testers due to the frightening run once with my x maxx. Long story short when I was done running my truck I noticed when I was store charging my batteries that the cell counts was not where I like them one 3s pack was way low and there was a pretty good difference between each cell always storage charge with the balance plug and when I get it out next I balance charge. So I just checked the puffed battery and the cells are as follows 1st cell3.80 2nd cell 3.79 3rd cell 3.79 is my LiPo ok?

If there is swelling of the pack most guys do not run them as they are swelled and can be dangerous to charge.... I say use it with care if you decide to use it at all.....

Yea I'm on the fences on using it or ordering new ones. These packs are only about a year old I feel like I've taken better care of them then most.

Are you running traxxas batteries? as that is a commen problem with that brand.

Most rc LHS know about it but still sell them, unless they got good service and recomend a better LiPo brand

My SMC 9000mah 2S packs are slightly puffed, a couple more than the others. They used to fit in my ERBE just right, but now, I have to shove them in pretty hard and they bow the battery bay a bit. They have 15 months of use, always balance charged and with LVC set at 3.5V on all my rigs but my ejato as it has a traxxas vxl 3s esc in it and I can't adjust it. I did run these packs in that rig until LVC, but I don't think I ran all 4 in it as I ended up running the SMC 7400mah 2S packs because they fit better and were lighter.

This is how they look today, oldest to newest left to right:
2018-0322-SMC-2S-60C-9000mah-Puff02.jpg

2018-0322-SMC-2S-60C-9000mah-Puff01.jpg

How they looked after 2 months of use:
2017-0318-SMC-2S-60C-9000mah-Puff01.jpg

How they looked when new:
2016-1228-ERBE_SMC_2S_9000Mah.jpg

As far as I can tell, none of my True Spec Premium 7.4V 7400mAh 2S packs are puffed, but I don't know how much room is inside the hard case. I've run pairs of those in my savage flux, singles in my ejato and stampede 4x4. They are all I have that fit in my stampede.

Your LiPo on the far right is about how the one I have puffed looks in your second pic. Did you plastic dip those olds?

Those cell voltages look fine, .01V can easily be taken care of by a balance charge.

A puffed LiPo is a tricky thing though. It's caused by the break down of the electrolyte due to excessive heat from over discharging or charging, or running it when it's too hot. It's always a tough call whether they should be continued to run or not.

Many resources will tell you to stop running a LiPo as soon as you see puffing, it's a judgement call though. I, like @olds97_lss, have ran several packs with a little puffing without issue.

Your LiPo on the far right is about how the one I have puffed looks in your second pic. Did you plastic dip those olds?
No, they come wrapped really well, but I was noticing wear on the ends, so I put a couple wraps of electrical tape on them so it would wear instead of the battery cover.

Oh ok well I just charged my batteries and I planned on give the x maxx a runn tomorrow with my lvd`s on the balance plugs and see how things go.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back