LHS Sucks!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byron

I just want to vent about one of the LHS here in Milwaukee. There is this store that has been around for quite some time. 10 – 15 years ago, I used to go there all the time, and every time I went there, the owner would give me a hard time about everything and anything. I chalked it up to me being a young guy, and maybe this guy did not like kids. Now I am 36, and recently got back into the hobby. So I started going back to this store, and the same guy is still giving me hard time every time I go in there. The store is a good size, and he has a lot of cool stuff. New and used RC’s and a lot of newer and older models. I like to go there and just look around, but this guy will not let you do this. He will follow you and he does not leave you alone. Today I had some time to kill, and decided to go there and browse. When I walked in, he asked me if I needed anything, I told him no, I was just there to kill time. So I went to the RC isle, and within 30 seconds, there he is asking what I need. After telling him, nothing in particular, I said well maybe a 3 speed Trans for my Savage. He asks “what do I want that for?†I said no particular reason, I just think they are cool. He then proceeds to tell me everything he knows about gearing, 2 stroke timing, shimming a cylinder head, 2 stroke fuel, and how he has the worlds fastest Savage, and I will never get mine to go faster with the 3 speed. Then he asks me where I buy my RC stuff from (every time I’m there he asks this, and then he goes into his rant) I told him some stuff from him, and some stuff from the internet, and some stuff from other LHS. Well then he gives me a hard time for not buying everything from him, and I need to support his store. He supports the hobby by going out every weekend and setting land speed records. He says the next event is sometime next month. I was slightly interested in seeing his record setting savage, so I asked what day next month this event is, he then tells me it is by private invitation only. So while this is going on, he is now looking for a 3 speed Trans for me. He does not have any in stock, and he makes a phone call to his “warehouse†As he is on the phone, he asks me if I want the whole trans assembly, or just the gears. I told him I was not sure, he raises his voice and is persistent to get me to commit to one or the other. I said, check to see if they have both. He finds out they do have both, and he can have it for me by the next day. I then asked how much? And he tells me the whole assembly is $125.00 and the gears are $80.00. I told him I was not interested, and he starts laughing to the person on the phone, and says like a smart a$$ “He changed his mind after I did all this for him†I just smiled, and said thanks for the information, and started to walk out. He then follows me and he is still talking to me, and he is asking me how much I know about cars, and engines. I said not that much (I have been working at New car dealership as a Technician, a Service Writer, and Service Manager for most of my life) Well then he enlightens me with his wealth of knowledge. Every time I go there there I walk out pi$$ed offed!! The last time I was there, I bought bearings to do the steering mod to my Savage. He had the size I needed, but then wanted to charge me $8.00 for each bearing. I told him to forget it. This guy is such a jerk, I am amazed at how he stays in business?? There is another LHS within 10 miles, and every time I go there, they are stupid busy. Every time I am at his store, I am the only one there. I just don’t understand. When I try to spend money there, he tells me why I should not spend money with him, then belittles you for not buying from him!!! Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Holy crap dude, that is borderline harassment. If it were me I'd light that guy up like a roman candle and tell him to go shove his hobby shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats crazy. must be a place like that for every good shop. i used to go to a place that mainly dealt with airplanes and boats, but trucks as well. each time the guy seemed bothered that i was in is store. the final straw was when he said he would order new tires for my old e-maxx then had me come in to get them only to say he never ordered....wouldn't be bad it if were not a 30 minute drive.

There is a Hobby Town USA near me, and they are good with their customer service. On one ocassion, the guy from the other store asked me where I purchased a RC boat, and I told him Hobby Town USA, you should of heard this guy go on and on about how horrible they are, and I should never buy anything from them because they don't promote the hobby. I just don't understand this guy??

wow bro makes you wonder how a guy like that has any business running one huh? while on the subject of LHS I just met a guy named Andy who owns big head hobbies here in NJ about 15 minutes from me. I bought a temp gauge from him off the bay today and he seems really nice. Since I have no one to bash with here in the armpit of the states I got to talking to him and he says he has some local racers and himself that run around in his parking lot and he going to expand to get an indoor track, pretty sweet. anyway he has a lot of cool stuff in his ebay store and says he has much more in his physical store. he invited me to come down and run my sav with him and some of the locals. ill check out the store and keep you guys posted if anyone lives near williamstown NJ you can come bash with me cuz I bash alone it sucks

people in business that talk bad about other business in the same industry are actually the ones that do bad business.

I coule not agree more!!! Thats cool you are able to hook up with somone to bash with.......I almost forgot, he also told me he does not share his "speed" secrets with anyone on the internet, and the information on the internet is all garbage.

Don't give the guy another thought, and stop shopping at his store. He's not worth the harrassment. Just make sure you tell everyone you know about how poorly he treats his customers and hopefully people will stop shopping there.

ill check out the store and keep you guys posted if anyone lives near williamstown NJ you can come bash with me cuz I bash alone it sucks

i would guess i'm about 30-45min away from where you are. so far i bash alone but i bought a second savvy so my girlfriend and buddies can keep me company. but back on track. i go to Zaks Hobbies on wheat RD in vineland and have had nothing but good experiences. if the store is crowded they will still take time to talk to you and make sure any questions you have are answered.

lool seems that guy is sick and feels lonely, so once you go in he want to show off

you can drive your car infront of his shop making loud sound :p hahaha

I stay out of the LHS here on Long Island. If you are from the area, you know which one I'm talking about. I only go in for fuel. I stick to HPISF for advice and SMF store for parts. That's a perfect combination.

lol he holds the world record for poop talking sounds like

You just made my day f1n3sse! Next time walk in with a card saying that you're deaf, hand it to him, and then just ignore him. Cause you can't hear remember! Sounds like the guy is trying to rip you off anyway and doing more of a disservice for the hobby than any good.

Members online

Back