leaking nitro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punisher

ok i've been having this problem for a week or two .... my head bolts get loose and leaks out the front ...(carb side) . its always the front after a tank .... i tried lock tight ..when i first got the truck it was wheeling like crazy flipped it couple tiimes landed on heater core sodid i bend the core ... also engine get really hot did it worp ? any body have this issue

thanks

Have you ever removed the sleeve from the motor? If either no or yes double check everything again. Of course you engine is getting high temps because of that leak. Double check your sleeve and piston for damage, maybe post pictures for us to help. There is a pin that should be on the crank case that ensures the sleeve (has indented notch) that allows it properly seat on the crank case to include the exhaust port on the sleeve to line up with the exhaust chamber on the crank case. Check you engine manual as to how many or type of shim is supposed to be there, then put the button head back on. Tighten your bolts at even increments (tighten in cross patterns) vise fully cranking each bolt. Doing at even increments ensures the button head is seated evenly along with the bolts. How to describe how much is tight. Humm I ussually crank down hard enough by hand then get something to use as leverage and crank an additional 1/8 of a turn or until I hear a screech sound. I hope that helps.

I almost want to say use a bolt that is 2mm longer but I do not know if the depth on the crank case is able to accomodate a longer bolt.

how high are temps your getting? do you see fuel spewing out? are you sure your glow plug isnt a bit loose? if you have a loose plug fuel will leak out at the plug. make sure you have the brass glow plug washer in place for a non turbo head motor. after your 1st tank of use can you wiggle the cooling head? I have never ran into this issue and have had many of upside down landings. I have also never used locktite on the bolts that hold the cooling head on nor do I tighten them as tight as joe mentioned above. best thing I can recommend you to do is run your first tank to where you say it starts leaking and then put your truck up on a stand or something to keep the wheels off the ground and play with the throttle so you can visually see the problem. then you can trouble shoot from there

everything checks out i removed a shim and cross tighten see how that holds up thanks

Have you ever removed the sleeve from the motor? If either no or yes double check everything again. Of course you engine is getting high temps because of that leak. Double check your sleeve and piston for damage, maybe post pictures for us to help. There is a pin that should be on the crank case that ensures the sleeve (has indented notch) that allows it properly seat on the crank case to include the exhaust port on the sleeve to line up with the exhaust chamber on the crank case. Check you engine manual as to how many or type of shim is supposed to be there, then put the button head back on. Tighten your bolts at even increments (tighten in cross patterns) vise fully cranking each bolt. Doing at even increments ensures the button head is seated evenly along with the bolts. How to describe how much is tight. Humm I ussually crank down hard enough by hand then get something to use as leverage and crank an additional 1/8 of a turn or until I hear a screech sound. I hope that helps.

this will be my next step thanks

how high are temps your getting? do you see fuel spewing out? are you sure your glow plug isnt a bit loose? if you have a loose plug fuel will leak out at the plug. make sure you have the brass glow plug washer in place for a non turbo head motor. after your 1st tank of use can you wiggle the cooling head? I have never ran into this issue and have had many of upside down landings. I have also never used locktite on the bolts that hold the cooling head on nor do I tighten them as tight as joe mentioned above. best thing I can recommend you to do is run your first tank to where you say it starts leaking and then put your truck up on a stand or something to keep the wheels off the ground and play with the throttle so you can visually see the problem. then you can trouble shoot from there

i wish i knew somebody around here to spend a couple hours with me tunning

I'm pretty sure all my problems are rookie mistakes lol

until you get more familiar with a nitro best advice i can give ya....

set your LSN to flush (stock setting) and don't touch this one for sometime until you understand the tuning method.

start off with the HSN flush, and slowly work with that needle ONLY. Bring it counterclockwise (lean) until you notice a nice powerband but don't go nuts with it cuz the temps will start to rise on you as you do this. As soon as the blue smoke disappears this is too far lean, counterclockwise the needle a touch until the smoke reappears for you. This smoke will ensure you are getting fuel to the internals keeping it cool and running.

thanks i will reset all my needles next time around

lookin back at my post.... lmao!

i got it twisted on ya, sory buddie! :p

INWARD/Clockwise=Lean

OUTWARD/Counterclockwise= Rich

i wish i knew somebody around here to spend a couple hours with me tunning

I'm pretty sure all my problems are rookie mistakes lol

we not professional baseball players. If you take your time to understand how your model works 100% its easier to troubleshoot. remember these are just machines that require normal maintenance. Plus most guys here are here to help .

everything checks out i removed a shim and cross tighten see how that holds up thanks

It was not my intention that you remove the shim. I was saying make sure you have the right amount according to your manual. You have to install the right amount with the % of nitro content your are using. After everything checks out then start it. Some people tend to forget to install the shims after maintenance which can cause detonation and tuning issues.
Any uneven tightening of the bolts will cause a leak. I deal with many industrial equipment and the first thing that causing the leak is because they did not follow engineering protocol.
Tuning has nothing to do with the head bolts coming loose.

until you get more familiar with a nitro best advice i can give ya....

set your LSN to flush (stock setting) and don't touch this one for sometime until you understand the tuning method.

start off with the HSN flush, and slowly work with that needle ONLY. Bring it counterclockwise (lean) until you notice a nice powerband but don't go nuts with it cuz the temps will start to rise on you as you do this. As soon as the blue smoke disappears this is too far lean, counterclockwise the needle a touch until the smoke reappears for you. This smoke will ensure you are getting fuel to the internals keeping it cool and running.
Sorry, you said counterclockwise turning goes lean and then again counterclockwise rich?

so basically i tightened down the head in a criss cross pattern .... then i also set all the needles to factory .... and retuned .. so far head isnt loose and truck is running better

Latest posts

Members online

Back