larsenracing's E-Savage Brushless/LiPo Build!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsenracing

Manufacturer
Well guys I just purchased an E-Savage off ebay. I haven't received it yet but got a heck of a deal on it. Everythings included except for radio, and ESC, battery's, tires or lid. I have tires, radio and lids.

The intent for this project will be Brushless and LiPo's. I will more than likely do the Kershaw Designs 1.5" Extended chassis or the FLM LCG 1.3" extended Chassis, both replace the stock cheep plastic dog bones which will never hold up to the BL.

This may be a big project to make this work for the new high powered BL systems but I'm going to put it to the test.

This project will take some time as I'm pretty strapped for money currently because the wife is in school and not working but things will come along. I will probably start by tearing the truck down and doing a full rebuild with strengthening things like diffs and so on probably replacing bearings with higher quality ones, etc.

I will post Pict's and keep the project updated as I go.

The list of parts will be added later down the road as I research things as I want this to be a tough truck and to build it with the best possible things.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I think I may have switched directions on this project to a Mamba Monster BL system. I will probably go with the smaller of the 2 the 2650kv set up with something like 2-2s 5000mAh LiPo's in series, which should run speeds of 45-50 pretty easily. This system will also support up to 6s which would be uncontrollable. I guess we will have to see how things turn out.

Allright, well I recieved the truck today so here are the pictures in the forum I got it in. Looks to be in good shape. Now its just time to ripe it apart and start upgrading first will be filling diffs and shimming second will be the transmission. Kershaw Design does have some Upgraded diffs that I may look into sometime in the future. This will be a compleatly new truck when it's done. I have also found several other parts at a place called GC Machine. Anyway on to some picts.

E-savage001.jpg

E-savage003.jpg

E-savage004.jpg

E-savage005.jpg

E-savage006.jpg

E-savage008.jpg

E-savage010.jpg

Well here is a short list of parts that I will be putting into this Savage for the BL build:

2200kv Mamba Monster
GCM RB BL Chassis (Done)
GCM Alum Cross braces (Done)
GCM EXarms W/CVD's and Bumpsteer Kit
GCM ECS Mount
2x GCM Diff's F&R
GCM Revo Slipper Setup
Kershaw Design Center Axles (Done)
Kershaw Design Velco Battery straps (Done)
PRC182 E-Savage Wing Mount (Done)
Pro-line High Downforce Wing (Black) (Done)
Pro-line 07 Silverado Body (Done)
Upgrade RC Wheel decals (Black/Red) (Done)
HPI 17mm Hex Kit (86925) (Done)
White Xray Wheels with Xray Tires Simular to Proline Crime Fighters (Done)
2x SMC 2S 5000mAh Hard case LiPo's
Superglide Steering mod (May skip for now, I have tightened everything up taking slop out)
Hitech 5645MG Steering Servo
Reciever for my Futaba 3PM Fasst 2.4ghz
Bearings in Steering column (6x12x4mm) (Done)

I WILL KEEP THIS LIST UP TO DATE!

cant wait to see the pics of the finished build sounds like its gonna be a screamer!!!

O ya it should scream. This thing will basically have the best of the best for an E-Savage. This little 6-7lb truck will hall the mail thats for sure.

They say bigger is always better, right??

Well an update. I have this thing in pieces, I have sold the stock chassis, motor's, center drive shafts and a few others. I have shimmed the diffs using Kershaw Designs shim kit and put the front and rear back together. I also went threw the center trans and replaced a few bearings with new ones as I was in there, All looks good thought. If you look on post 5 I have ordered a lot of stuff which should be here this week or next.

I have removed the purple from the parts which will look nice with the back chassis and silver brushed braces.
De-anodizing001.jpg

They have been buffed with a Scotch Britte pad so they are shiner and have that brushed look to them as well.

I will get Pict's when the chassis comes in and assembled which should be by mid next week. Then the wait for getting enough money for motor/ecs once its released.

I do have 2 6cell packs which I may put on it for a bit to at least get it moving and so I can save for the Lipos as they are about $120 Each and I will run 2 in parallel.

Nice project Jason. You can also probably make some parts outta carbon for your build. By the way, did you only pay $75 for it with $15 shipping? Can't wait to see it finished.

Sure did. I think it was $76+15 for shipping. Also of the parts I have sold from it I got $50 back. But trust me this will be an expensive project. With all the parts I have ordered and parts I have my Eye on to make this thing unbreakable I will have around $1k into it. I'm going to do some of the stuff when it breaks like the diffs and out drive to wheel dog bones and so on. I will also see if the sf2 steering servo will be enough for a while just to save to get the big parts first.

By the way xtremsavage how did you know thats what I paid?

Cuz I was watching the same one. It wasn't gonna be for me, but for a kid that lives down the street. His mom wants to get him a more upgraded (non-walmart bought) RC for christmas and I was lookin some up for her. But, she had to pass on it because she didn't have the money at the time. I think it all started when I they came down and was watching me break in the axial I got before I sent it to crash. Now they want one.

Well here's the build Update I have received all the parts I had on order now and have gotten it all assembled everything except for electronics.

GCM RB BL CUSTOM Chassis with braces (Not pictured plastic Drive shaft)
E-savy001.jpg

KD Center Shafts W/Velcro straps for mounting batter.
E-savy005.jpg

Tires and wing
E-savy006.jpg

The body and truck!
E-savy009.jpg

E-savy010.jpg

E-savy012.jpg

E-savy014.jpg

E-savy018.jpg

Gee now I want the Electronics cuz I really want to drive this thing.

Planning for a single, Probably going with the Mamba Monster 2200kv which is like 38 x 75mm between 3-5hp supposable. Will be way to much power for this little thing.

It will have to be widened further than just offset wheels as its pretty narrow but will be OK. Wheel base is 12.75", about 20mm longer than stock. I will probably go with GCM Exarms at some point which are like 3/4" wider on each side than stock and the kit comes with CVD's and a bumpsteer plate which will be a great addition for control on landing jumps and so on.

Not pictured, it has also been converted to 17mm hex's.

whoa, guess i haven't looked at this thread in a bit.....really comin' together nicely..can't wait to see some vids when finished..its gonna rip..great thread!

I agree I can't wait to see some Vid's of it either or wait to see it rip.

Well I took a little piece of 2mm CF I had and covered the extra motor hole on the motor place since I an going BL and will only have one motor.
Parts002.jpg

Well here are some Pict's of my ECS mount. Still waiting on the release of the motor/ecs combo and the wife to finish school so I have extra money.
Parts004.jpg

Parts003.jpg

Dude That Thing Is Sweeeeet Wooooooooo Cant Wait To See A Video

Well just a little update since it's been roughly 2 months.

This project is on hold for a little bit here till funds are available when the wife finishes school for her RN ( Done in May) and the economy changes a bit.

Once these 2 or at least the wife one changed it will go full speed ahead. All I need it the Motor/ECS combo, battery's and the Futaba FASST Receiver which I will probably pick up before long. The problem is this is about $650 worth of stuff at a retail cost.

OK I think I may have switched directions on this project to a Mamba Monster BL system. I will probably go with the smaller of the 2 the 2650kv set up with something like 2-2s 5000mAh LiPo's in series, which should run speeds of 45-50 pretty easily. This system will also support up to 6s which would be uncontrollable. I guess we will have to see how things turn out.

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier buddy...you won't be disappointed in the Castle setup AT ALL. Their start-up routine is second to none...no start-up chatter like others. HopMeUp sells the system for a great price on eBay. Fast shipping as well. I have their number if you need it. If you want to get running with (2) 6-cell packs I'll hook you up with a real nice deal.

The 2200kv setup is not usable even at 5s...almost no good at 4s. But you can fix all that in the programming. All you have to do is connect to a laptop or computer running CastleLink and turn back the *go juice*. LOL

Very very nice build. You've got the same attitude I have which is to put the best bang for the buck into the R/C and not waste on too much *pretty*. Of course that body is sweet-lookin' so you've got some bling on there! hehe

Ya I hear ya on the 2200kv as it will be way over kill. I do already have the castle link which I use for my Mini LST. What a great way to program these things.

Ya I hear ya on the 2200kv as it will be way over kill. I do already have the castle link which I use for my Mini LST. What a great way to program these things.

It's called overhead buddy! You'll appreciate it later I promise. :resp:

Latest posts

Members online

Back