just got savy .. wont stay running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

609savage

hey guys i got the savy x today from tower hobbies and charged up the glow starter , put fresh fuel, new batteries in remote ...but i fire it up and it wont stay running unless i keep the glow starter in( i know , don't keep it in for long time) but ut seems it will stay running only if it is in...i called hpi tech line and 1 st time the guy told me to turn the idle and then the 2nd time to turn the high needle 1/8 turn counter clockwise.....and that still wont work....all i want is for it to run through a whole tank and stay running with out the starter in...please help....i want to run this beast!!!!!:retarded:

Are you sure the glow plug is good? Just because it is new doesn't mean it is good. I have had that problem before, junk right out of the package. If you have just finished break in then there is a very good chance your glow plug is shot.

Yeah get a couple of glow plugs to start out with you can always use them later and never a waste of money.
And break in takes mucho patience-the more you take your time the better for the motor later. I know its hard to do when you just want to start playing but it's worth it in the long run.

so it dies as soon as you stop the starter
if so
you could try a hotter plug coz da lsn could be too rich (correct me if I'm wrong) and having a hotter plug may mean it will but and stay iddling
hope it helps

Have you broken it in? Sounds like it's running super rich for break-in settings!

If you haven't broken it in, open the manual. Immediately go to section 2-7, pages 12-13. Do NOT try running the motor hard until you follow the guide in the manual for break in. If it won't stay running, take the high speed needle in 1/16th of a turn! Then try it. If you run a pre-break in motor hard, you can end up losing LOTS of life in the motor.

Let us know how it goes man!

I had a similar problem after buying a "used" savage 4.6. It turns out that the glow plugs that I was buying were too sort (OS plugs) and I needed to buy a longer plug (made by MC..something, I forget the name). My 4.6 is out of a Hellfire though, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but at least it's one more thing to consider.

Get a mc-59 glow plug along with what hpi told you. You want to lean the hsn some anyway. Get the temp up to 200. stay as close to that as you can.

Break in process is a big pain in the butt and frustrating, but its a necessary evil. First, check the little things like everyone else has recommended, especially the glow plug. If you have the igniter on there too long it is possible you may have burned it up. The motor/carb is set to run super rich out of the box for the break in process, making it very difficult to idle so here is what I did during my break in: turned the throttle trim knob full clockwise which opens the carb a little more, letting in more air, leaned out the HSN 1/16 at a time just to get the motor to stay idling, which it wouldn't stay at idle until it was at a half tank. You really want to minimize any carb adjustments until the break in process is complete, even when running the truck in circles until the break in process is complete. When you are in this process there will be a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust so make sure you break it in someplace where you do not mind having the fuel stain (My front porch still has the stain from the fuel). Hope this helps and with a little perserverance through this you will have a strong motor which will last much longer. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

BTW if I haven't said it already, welcome to the Forum!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If he indeed told you to turn it counterclockwise that will richen it up even more than factory settings. It will never run that rich.

I had to lean out the LSN on my break in...it would start to conk out right after i'd get it running. I gave mine a little bit of throttle also..not very much though..

yes i got it to trun today...my dileema was that i had only charged the glow starter for about 4 hours compared to the full 12 hours...and it statred right up...one thing...i cant keep the front wheels on the ground...

If your just breaking it in your wheels should stay on the ground just 1/4 trigger happy it sucks I know but your mill thank u in the long run. Also make sure the piston is st BDC when its cooling down. Wait when u see what a Axial .32 can do to your wheels lol Cheers!!:cheers:

Congrats on getting it running. I don't know if this goes for rechargable glow starters or not, but you may wanna consider NOT leaving the battery in it when not in use. I started with a D-cell starter and went through a poopload of batteries(4 D-Cells in under a week). The cell doesn't have to be dead, it just has to be below a certain range for it not to work anymore. I've since bought a rechargeable, but haven't used it enough to tell as of yet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back