Just got my Savage X 4.6 got a few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info guys, i got a new clutch coming. In the mean time i was think i got it tuned pretty decent, the LSN is still a little lean but it got dark and had to get to the hobby shop because i crashed it into the mail box and cracked one of the front control arms.

But before that, i took the heat sink off the engine and was rotating it. There dosnt seem to be any pinch left, i was under the impression this is a bad thing. here is a video. Also the engine was dead cold at this point i had not started it up yet. The sound in the video is the rotostart, need to pull it back off and put some lube on the gears

Very difficult to feel pinch/compression when the head is off the engine, put it all back together with glowplug in the head then test for pinch, with the head off in your vid it looks to not be pushing the piston too high in the liner so I bet everything is ok....

Well i know on my last engine when i took the heatsink of you could def feel the pinch of the sleeve so thats why i was concerned. It ran great today though.

When everything is back together it has a pinch or at this point id call it more a compression. You can see that in the video where I'm checking my one way bearing.

So i guess all is good for now.

Jam might be right but in my experience if it has good pinch when cold the sleeve will usually pop up out of the cylinder when turned over with the head off.

Jam might be right but in my experience if it has good pinch when cold the sleeve will usually pop up out of the cylinder when turned over with the head off.

This is true to a point, but the sleeve in my OFNA .32 doesn't move out of position when I turn it with the head off, I had to work and work to get the sleeve outta that thing, not easy considering I did NOT want to damage it , it did come out after heating the block a bit in the oven but it still was difficult so thats not always an accurate gauge of "pinch"...

If you want a visual of pinch remove the sleeve, piston and rod and push the piston into the sleeve as far as possible then have a look at the topside and see how much liner is visible...

good to know its just that when I had my lrp z30r motor apart the sleeve popped right up when I turned it over but it did have quite a tight pinch also.

Members online

Back