just got a 4.1 savage x trans problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dxtreme

i just purchased a slightly used 4.1 and went to use it the first time and the trans won't shift out of first. i had a hobby shop look at it and he said that the internals all look good just hasn't been run in while and thinks it just needs some lubricating. does this sound about right? we did try adjusting back to the stock setting and still didn't shift before the tear down of the tranny. we tried all the adjustments shown on hpi's website still nothing. I'm gonna call him on monday to see what he found out for me. could it be engine tuning preventing the trans from shifting? I'm new to all this rc stuff so I'm not 100 percent sure on the tuning. when i was running it in first gear there was a nice blue smoke trail coming out of the exhaust so i know thats good i just can't adjust anything else without it shifting. any help is greatly appreciated

If the engine is too rich and not reaching the high rpms it will not shift. One of my savages wont shift until 200 degrees. Try screwing the high speed needle in a quarter turn and see if it shifts, just make sure it doesn't get lean.

Welcome to the forum... The hobby shop is WRONG !!!!! need no lubrication in the tranny.... How does the engine run is it boggy ?

I thing you need to lean it out a bit. on the top end doing this should help the rpm's increase and then the tranny will shift..

KEEP US POSTED BRO and welcome to hpisf..... you know where to come when you need help, stay clear of the hobby store for advise, UNLESS they really know what there talking about.. in this case I don't think they do. if you lube your tranny you will screw up the clutches in there and then you will have bigger problems ..

If the engine is too rich and not reaching the high rpms it will not shift. One of my savages wont shift until 200 degrees. Try screwing the high speed needle in a quarter turn and see if it shifts, just make sure it doesn't get lean.

beat me too it you get a STICKER !!! :10: :bigsmilie:

I'm not sure if the hobby shop was going to be lubing the trans or not but i will make sure they don't. in terms of boggy do u mean when i give it gas is it responsive if so then yes it is responsive but i think it still could use more power on top end not 100 percent on that

also get on the phone go down there just make sure he don't put no lube in the tranny !!!!!!

in that first video for the 2 speed tuning how come the tranny in the vid has 2 openings when u remove that plastic rubber cover mine has 3 what does that mean. just a different 2 speed? i will make sure that he didn't lube the tranny. other thing i noticed in vid 1 i think my car is set to rich cause it definately struggles and sounds like it breaks up at high speed right now without shifting. i know its gonna take a little tuning to get the speed out of this thing i just hope i can get it running perfect i love seeing these things do wheelies and mine isn't even close to that yet

yea your is a x style tranny case the 3rd hole is nothing.. not sure why its even there

in that first video for the 2 speed tuning how come the tranny in the vid has 2 openings when u remove that plastic rubber cover mine has 3 what does that mean.
The tranny shown in that video if from an older savage thats all. Your tranny case is fine.
other thing i noticed in vid 1 i think my car is set to rich cause it definately struggles and sounds like it breaks up at high speed right now without shifting. i know its gonna take a little tuning to get the speed out of this thing i just hope i can get it running perfect i love seeing these things do wheelies and mine isn't even close to that yet
If your not sure on tuning your engine you might want to invest in a temp gun, they go for as little as $25-40. This can tell you alot about your carb settings if your to rich engine temps will be low if lean engine temps will be high. I don't remember the 4.1 engine temp range off the top of my head.

yeah you don't have to get an expensive one here is one i have one just like it but its from ofna. If you want you can type in infared temp gun in google and you can look around at the different ones and decide for yourself.
tempgun_closecrop404.jpg

If you do get one your going to take the temps around the glow plug so your going to move it around in there to take temps across the head just not one spot.

what should the max temp gun should i look for? so i want to take a reading around the glow plug only or around the glow plug?

not sure what you mean here?
what should the max temp gun should i look for?
Are you talking about what is the temp range for the gun? If so engines usually run between 200-300 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the manufacture.
And to your other question around the glow plug not on the glow plug. You want to get the temp's of the heads surface so that you can judge your tunning. But keep in mind you will have to be aware of the outside air temp's while your running for example if you start your truck up in the mourning and run for a little while and then take a break and in the afternoon you want to run some more you might have to readjust your carb because it warmed up since the last time you ran.

ok thanks for that I'm going tomorrow to get the temp gun. hopefully i'll swing by the hobby shop tomorrow night and see my savage all back together and fixed. i tried getting in touch with the guy who's working on it for me but he doesn't go back to work til tomorrow. so we'll see after tomorrow.

well i met up with the guy today and he said there were a few things he found. the slipper clutch was loose and the drive or something that he said that engages the 2nd gear was like froze up like it was never even used. he didn't lube anything like i was afraid of, i should be getting it back tomorrow afternoon.

well i spoke with the guy fixing my truck he put everything back together and still not engaging 2nd what else could we check that the problem could be?

well update on my problem my tranny is finally fixed. we came to the conclusion it was the clutch hub that wasn't engaging 2nd gear. replaced it and a few other parts while in there and i have 2nd gear now. i just gotta get it to shift a little sooner and it should be good to go. has anyone ever switched there slipper clutch system to another company's slipper clutch?

well update on my problem my tranny is finally fixed. we came to the conclusion it was the clutch hub that wasn't engaging 2nd gear. replaced it and a few other parts while in there and i have 2nd gear now. i just gotta get it to shift a little sooner and it should be good to go. has anyone ever switched there slipper clutch system to another company's slipper clutch?

No... can't say I changed to another clutch system, but I did do this.

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468

ok i think I'm either gonna try and convert my savy's slipper clutch to a t-maxx's slipper or do direct drive like u have suggested. i just hate the savy's slipper it sux. my friend burned thru his within 1 hour of running and it was set correctly.

Latest posts

Members online

Back