Just a generic Tuning question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravaging_savage

I just bought my first brand new motor and its a axial .28rr. I have broken it in properly and i am now on my 7th or 8th tank. But i have a question regarding the tune. I cant figure it out and its been bugging me the last two days.
I followed the tune guidelines using the post about how you can tune using the sounds your motor makes. well i got the tune pretty close. But here is my issue it takes almost 10 min and 3/4 of a tank running the car at wide open and close to wide open throttle before the motor heats up enough to run correctly. When it finaly heats up to around 260ish it runs awsome on the bottom end but the upper revs sound real raspy like its running rich, and is somewhat hesitant. I leaned out the topend by 1/12 of a turn and the temps go up to the 270's. I feel thats too hot and I am afraid to go up into those temps. I am not trying to squeeze every ounce of power, i just want it to run safely and be reliable.
thanks for any help

270's are not bad. On the mid needle, make sure its flush and put a little dab of rtv on it because it likes to walk a little affecting the tune.

hmm really? what temps do you feel is a good safe temp to aim for? any ideas as far as the taking for ever to warm up. It wont even get out of first gear for a while. I will do the rtv

your new engine wont be fully broke in until about a gallon of fuel. until then leave it a little bit rich and take the running rough for a bit and the longevity of your mill will thank you.

temps imho are mostly for break in then after that leave them alone cuz any and every mill like different temps so look for smoke and listen to the sound and youll be fine but as mickey had said about the gallon makr and just take it easy on it till its broke in then let it rip.

eric....

I don't run my stuff over 250

And if you do get it that hot make sure your piston is at the very bottom of the sleeve that way when it cools you don't lose the tightness of sleeve.

Thanks for all the info so far. I agree on the idea of letting it run rich till i get a gal through it. i blew up 2 motors in my rs4 many years ago and I am always paranoid of leaning out

For the first gallon you want to run it rich until everything gets settled. Ive blown a mototr by just dropping it in the truck and breaking it in and tunning it for a truggy race.

Members online

Back